index of current research on wikipedia?

Joe Corneli-3
Hi, I noticed that the pages here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_studies_about_Wikipedia and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Academic_studies_of_Wikipedia

...don't have any 2015 or 2016 articles.  Naturally, such articles do
exist (30,400 hits for "Wikipedia" since 2015 on Google Scholar).

Indeed, given the quantity and diversity of material, keeping track of
it might require an entire meta-wikipedia ;-?  However the materials at
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Research don't seem to provide
a very comprehensive guide to existing literature.

I assume some researchers are keeping track of some facets of recent
work in this area: are you archiving e.g. BibTeX files somewhere?  Could
these be shared/curated in a wiki-like way?

There is a very limited list (indeed, just one entry from 2013), here:
https://zenodo.org/collection/user-wikimedia

... So that's probably not where the action is at the moment!

For comparison, there is a nice (but not terribly long) crowdsourced
index of papers using Stack Exchange data here; this looks reasonably up
to date:

http://meta.stackexchange.com/questions/134495/academic-papers-using-stack-exchange-data/134496#134496

Joe

Re: index of current research on wikipedia?

Guillaume Paumier-3
Hello Joe,

On Sat, Sep 10, 2016 at 6:47 AM, Joe Corneli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I assume some researchers are keeping track of some facets of recent
> work in this area: are you archiving e.g. BibTeX files somewhere?  Could
> these be shared/curated in a wiki-like way?

WikiPapers is the main wiki-based curation platform for wiki-related
academic publications, but it's down at the moment:
http://wikipapers.referata.com/

Although not as structured, the (searchable) archives of the Research
Newsletter are a great resource:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Newsletter

Many of the references indexed in the Research Newsletter are also
curated in the associated WikiResearch library on Zotero (which was
recently converted to a Zotero group for better collaboration).
Zotero can export to BibTeX.
https://www.zotero.org/groups/wikiresearch/items

More recently, I've started an effort to organize the literature by
topic. It's an ambitious goal and most of the pages are still just
skeletons. The nearly-finished page about contributor roles gives an
idea of what it'll look like:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Codex/Roles_of_contributors

I'm sure I've missed other resources that others will follow up on.

--
Guillaume Paumier

Re: index of current research on wikipedia?

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Guillaume Paumier, 10/09/2016 16:43:
> WikiPapers is the main wiki-based curation platform for wiki-related
> academic publications, but it's down at the moment:
> http://wikipapers.referata.com/

Up now.
I thought
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Academic_studies_of_Wikipedia#Peer_reviewed
was clear enough, the lists have been moved on wikipapers.

Wikipapers has not had recent mass additions, but the recent changes are
regularly active. Of course we'd like more wiki researchers to add their
publications (and edit their author information)!

Nemo

Re: index of current research on wikipedia?

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
I understand why Wikipapers started in a MediaWiki format. I wonder if it would make sense to include the data of Wikipapers in Wikidata like any other Wiki so far.

It would bring several advantages among them query and the realisation that our own movement is relevant and notable. This is at this time denied by some. We do include references to all kinds of papers, why not the papers documented in Wikipapers?
Thanks,
      GerardM

On 10 September 2016 at 16:43, Guillaume Paumier <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Joe,

On Sat, Sep 10, 2016 at 6:47 AM, Joe Corneli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I assume some researchers are keeping track of some facets of recent
> work in this area: are you archiving e.g. BibTeX files somewhere?  Could
> these be shared/curated in a wiki-like way?

WikiPapers is the main wiki-based curation platform for wiki-related
academic publications, but it's down at the moment:
http://wikipapers.referata.com/

Although not as structured, the (searchable) archives of the Research
Newsletter are a great resource:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Newsletter

Many of the references indexed in the Research Newsletter are also
curated in the associated WikiResearch library on Zotero (which was
recently converted to a Zotero group for better collaboration).
Zotero can export to BibTeX.
https://www.zotero.org/groups/wikiresearch/items

More recently, I've started an effort to organize the literature by
topic. It's an ambitious goal and most of the pages are still just
skeletons. The nearly-finished page about contributor roles gives an
idea of what it'll look like:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Codex/Roles_of_contributors

I'm sure I've missed other resources that others will follow up on.

--
Guillaume Paumier

Re: index of current research on wikipedia?

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Gerard Meijssen, 11/09/2016 09:42:
> I wonder if it would make sense to include the data of Wikipapers in
> Wikidata like any other Wiki so far.

Anyone is free to attempt that if they bother. Personally I won't:
Semantic MediaWiki is way easier for this sort of thing (e.g. Data
Transfer allows very easy CSV import) and I like to be able to add
personal comments on the talk page.

Nemo

Re: index of current research on wikipedia?

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
It may be easier; that is a challenge for Wikidata technology, a challenge they do not really concentrate on. The main point is that as a community we do not take ourselves seriously. The denial of relevance of for instance a Wikimania is staggering.Compare it with the ease that had all the streets of the Netherlands included. How is it possible to deny the notability of what we are, what we do, the literature about the Wikimedia movement and its projects?

When personal preferences determine this, it strengthens the notion of ivory towers. A notion that "we": want to research you in isolation and, the data is ours, separate from what "you lot" do. Research needs a relevance. When we combine the power of proper research with the data that is increasingly in Wikidata we can do so much more.

My question is if research will help us understand what is going on. Where we can do better, how we can encourage new and existing people. So far I think I know how this can be achieved, what direction to take. I do not know about research that is actually helping. Typically I find it mostly chasing after things we already know and is focused on English Wikipedia.

I have the feeling that once research becomes practical it is no longer considered "scientific" and if that is so, I should not bother you.
Thanks,
     GerardM

fn

Re: index of current research on wikipedia?

fn

I would encourage people to start moving their papers to Wikidata and
use P921 for tagging. I have attempted a query on WDSQ for what we have
at the moment:

https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/User:Fnielsen/SPARQL#The_full_monty

Presently I catch 32 results. I have put most of my Wikipedia and
Wikidata papers in there.

Adding your papers is most easily done with the help of Magnus if you
got a DOI for the paper: https://tools.wmflabs.org/sourcemd/

/Finn

# Wikipedia research et al.
select ?paper ?paperLabel ?class_labels ?authors ?venueLabel ?topics
?date_of_publication ?full_text
where {
   {
     select
       ?paper ?paperLabel
       (group_concat(distinct ?classes_label; separator=", ") as
?class_labels)
       (group_concat(distinct ?author_label; separator=", ") as ?authors)
       (sample(?published_ins) as ?venue)
       (group_concat(distinct ?topic_label; separator=", ") as ?topics)
       (min(?dates_of_publication) as ?date_of_publication)
       (sample(?full_texts) as ?full_text)
     where {
       { ?paper wdt:P921 wd:Q52 } # Wikipedia
       union { ?paper wdt:P921 wd:Q195951 } # reliability
       union { ?paper wdt:P921 wd:Q870337 } # academic studies about
Wikipedia
       union { ?paper wdt:P921 wd:Q23038345 } # Wikipedian
       union { ?paper wdt:P921 ?wiki . ?wiki wdt:P31 wd:Q10876391 } #
Language-version Wikipedia
       union { ?paper wdt:P921 wd:Q2013 }  # Wikidata

       optional {
         ?paper wdt:P31 ?classes .
         ?classes rdfs:label ?classes_label .
         filter (lang(?classes_label) = "en")
       }

       { ?paper wdt:P921 ?topic . }
       optional { ?topic rdfs:label ?topic_label . filter
(lang(?topic_label) = "en") }

       optional {
         ?paper wdt:P50 ?author .
         ?author rdfs:label ?author_label .
         filter (lang(?author_label) = "en") }

       optional { ?paper wdt:P1433 ?published_ins }
       optional { ?paper wdt:P577 ?dates_of_publication }
       optional { ?paper wdt:P953 ?full_texts }

     } group by ?paper ?paperLabel
   }

   SERVICE wikibase:label { bd:serviceParam wikibase:language "en" . }

} order by desc(?date_of_publication)

On Sun, Sep 11 2016, Federico Leva (Nemo) wrote:

> Guillaume Paumier, 10/09/2016 16:43:
>> WikiPapers is the main wiki-based curation platform for wiki-related
>> academic publications, but it's down at the moment:
>> http://wikipapers.referata.com/
>
> Up now.
> I thought
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Academic_studies_of_Wikipedia#Peer_reviewed
> was clear enough, the lists have been moved on wikipapers.

Thanks; with due respect, a clear pointer is one thing, but when I asked
the question, the site was down, and there was no way to know how
authoritative or well-maintained it is.  Now that it's up, I must
confess further doubts, given the bell-shaped graph of papers shown on
the front page, and various errors I've encountered around the site.

E.g., http://wikipapers.referata.com/wiki/List_of_journal_articles is
empty.

On the other hand,
http://wikipapers.referata.com/wiki/List_of_conference_papers works and
has lots of information (maybe too much).

Wikidata integration *should* make it relatively straightforward to
browse the articles in a faceted way, and also push that data into
several Wikipedia pages?

I'd personally support dumping out the Wikipapers metadata and pushing
that into Wikidata (I'm probably not the best point-person for that, but
could help some).

That effort would ultimately sort out a more 'encyclopedic' style for
the above-named Wikipedia page.

| ... http://wikipapers.referata.com/wiki/List_of_publications ...
| A database query error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the software.
|
|     Query:
|     CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE `t2`( id INT UNSIGNED KEY ) ENGINE=MEMORY
|     Function: SMW::executeHierarchyQuery
|     Error: 1044 Access denied for user 'yaron57_yaron'@'localhost' to database 'yaron57_wikipapers' (localhost

> Wikipapers has not had recent mass additions, but the recent changes
> are regularly active. Of course we'd like more wiki researchers to add
> their publications (and edit their author information)!

https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:WikiProject_Source_MetaData is
looking pretty promising for automating or semi-automating this sort of
task (in connection w/ the Wikidata backend).