interviews with users (knowledge creation)

interviews with users (knowledge creation)

Neni Pogarcic

Hi!

I am currently busy with a research about virtual communities and knowledge creation, and use Wikipedia as an experiment and test for the illustration of knowledge creation. As background information, and thorough understanding of Wikipedia I want to conduct interviews with Wikipedia users.

Does anyone has a useful mailing list for this, or another source where I can reach Wikipedia contributors?

Sincerely,

Neni Pogarcic
(Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam)

Re: interviews with users (knowledge creation)

Angela-5
> Does anyone has a useful mailing list for this, or another source where I
> can reach Wikipedia contributors?

The main Wikipedia list is at
<http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikipedia-l>

There are specific lists for various languages, such as wikien-l for
English. <http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l>

Each language version of Wikipedia also has a "village pump"
discussion area. These are linked in the interlanguage links area of
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump>

Angela

Re: interviews with users (knowledge creation)

Garrett-8
As Angela suggested, posting on the Village Pump is a great way to let Wikipedians know about your idea. There's bound to be many willing to help.

Alternately, you could contact individual contributors. Last month WikiInquirer ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:WikiInquirer ) contacted a seemingly random selection of Wikipedians for a survey. Perhaps you could talk to him/her and see what technique was used, or what tips he or she has on finding participants.

One way to get a really random selection of users is the largely undocumented http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Random/User , which will give you a random User: namespace page (and thus a random user) every time you use it.

Anyway, I hope that helps. Good luck with your research. :)

Garrett

<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l" target="_blank">http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l