interwiki peculiarity

Rich Morin
For some reason, the default interwiki table doesn't
include an entry for Wikipedia.  I can think of two
possible reasons for this:

  *  The table is a snapshot of the one used for WP,
     which never needs to refer to itself, so the
     entry was simply omitted.

  *  The Powers That Be don't _want_ it to be easy
     to link to WP (?!?).

Can someone clarify this for me?  And, if it's just
an accidental omission, could someone find a way to
include an entry?  I can't be the only MW user who
likes to link to WP...

-r

P.S.  After getting a clue from Rob, I used the following
      MySQL to insert a row in my own database:

  % mysql -uroot -p
  Password: ...
  mysql> use mediawikidb_rdm
  mysql> INSERT INTO rdm_interwiki
         VALUES ('wp', 'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/$1', 0, 0);
  mysql>^D

--
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm            Rich Morin
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume     [hidden email]

Re: interwiki peculiarity

Rob Church
It does include a row for Wikipedia. As I noted in IRC, it doesn't
seem to want to work out of the box. As I further noted in IRC, for
some reason, when I truncate the table and reinsert entries manually
(as I do with my wikis) it starts working.

Rob Church

On 26/03/06, Rich Morin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For some reason, the default interwiki table doesn't
> include an entry for Wikipedia.  I can think of two
> possible reasons for this:
>
>   *  The table is a snapshot of the one used for WP,
>      which never needs to refer to itself, so the
>      entry was simply omitted.
>
>   *  The Powers That Be don't _want_ it to be easy
>      to link to WP (?!?).
>
> Can someone clarify this for me?  And, if it's just
> an accidental omission, could someone find a way to
> include an entry?  I can't be the only MW user who
> likes to link to WP...
>
> -r
>

> P.S.  After getting a clue from Rob, I used the following
>       MySQL to insert a row in my own database:
>
>   % mysql -uroot -p
>   Password: ...
>   mysql> use mediawikidb_rdm
>   mysql> INSERT INTO rdm_interwiki
>          VALUES ('wp', 'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/$1', 0, 0);
>   mysql>^D
>
> --
> http://www.cfcl.com/rdm            Rich Morin
> http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume     [hidden email]
> http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/weblog     +1 650-873-7841
>
> Technical editing and writing, programming, and web development

Re: interwiki peculiarity

Rich Morin
At 1:54 AM +0000 3/26/06, Rob Church wrote:
> It does include a row for Wikipedia.

For some reason, my table (which is vanilla 1.5.6, except
for my locally-added 'wp' entry) doesn't seem to have this:

  rdm@cfcl [~] 65: grep -i wikipedia /tmp/foo
  | mediazilla    | http://bugzilla.wikipedia.org/$1     | 1 | 0 |
  | metawikipedia | http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/$1    | 0 | 0 |
  | wikisource    | http://sources.wikipedia.org/wiki/$1 | 1 | 0 |