is there a good way to enforce a password policy?

is there a good way to enforce a password policy?

Hella Breitkopf
Hello all,

is there a good (and not to time consuming) way to enforce
a password policy to users of a closed MediaWiki-wiki?

My only fast idea (without touching code) would be to remove access
to the Spezial:Preferences for normal users, which does not feels very elegant
(but we could assign passwords, which is at least a solution against to
easy passwords).

If somebody has some pointers to more elegant ideas or documents
(or better keywords to find the abundant information),
I'd appreciate it!

Otherwise my poor users will get the less elegant solution
(which should work, but I've not tested it, yet).

best wishes,
Hella

Re: is there a good way to enforce a password policy?

Rob Church
You could hack Special:Preferences to add some checks when users
change their passwords...if self-registration is enabled, also
consider adding them to Special:Userlogin.

Rob Church