liquid threads?

Travis Derouin-2
Hello,

I haven't heard much about this project lately, is it still ongoing?

Thanks,
Travis

Re: liquid threads?

Brion Vibber-3

Re: liquid threads?

Travis Derouin-2
Cool, that sounds good.

Is there any place where's documenting his progress, or providing
updates/discussion on the project? None of the old URLs for the project
seemed to be maintained.

Re: liquid threads?

Erik Moeller-4
On 8/14/07, Travis Derouin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there any place where's documenting his progress, or providing
> updates/discussion on the project? None of the old URLs for the project
> seemed to be maintained.

http://wikixp.org/lqt/index.php/Main_Page has a progress update & list
of known issues, it should be pretty up to date.
--
Toward Peace, Love & Progress:
Erik

Re: liquid threads?

Phil Boswell
Erik Moeller-4 wrote
On 8/14/07, Travis Derouin <travis@wikihow.com> wrote:
> Is there any place where's documenting his progress, or providing
> updates/discussion on the project? None of the old URLs for the project
> seemed to be maintained.

http://wikixp.org/lqt/index.php/Main_Page has a progress update & list
of known issues, it should be pretty up to date.
I have been trying that, and for some reason I cannot make any of the several threads reveal their contents.

What up with that?
Phil

Re: liquid threads?

Erik Moeller-4
On 8/14/07, Phil Boswell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have been trying that, and for some reason I cannot make any of the
> several threads reveal their contents.

"Reveal their contents"?

--
Toward Peace, Love & Progress:
Erik

Re: liquid threads?

Lane, Ryan
If you mean the ones with the edit sections, that is probably my fault.
I was testing to see if headers cause problems. The edit section buttons
don't work, because the sections don't exist.

V/r,

Ryan Lane

Re: liquid threads?

Phil Boswell
Erik Moeller-4 wrote
On 8/14/07, Phil Boswell <phil.boswell@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been trying that, and for some reason I cannot make any of the
> several threads reveal their contents.
"Reveal their contents"?
I added some threads, and all I can see is their headers, no sign of the body I included.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there another step?
Phil

Re: liquid threads?

Erik Moeller-4
On 8/15/07, Phil Boswell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I added some threads, and all I can see is their headers, no sign of the
> body I included.

This is one of the threads you added:

http://wikixp.org/lqt/index.php/Thread:WTFOMGBBQ%3F%3F%21%21%3F%3F_1

I can see it just fine - if you can't, perhaps there's an issue with
the HTML?  Which browser?

--
Toward Peace, Love & Progress:
Erik

Re: liquid threads?

Phil Boswell
Erik Moeller-4 wrote
On 8/15/07, Phil Boswell <phil.boswell@gmail.com> wrote:
> I added some threads, and all I can see is their headers, no sign of the
> body I included.

This is one of the threads you added:

http://wikixp.org/lqt/index.php/Thread:WTFOMGBBQ%3F%3F%21%21%3F%3F_1

I can see it just fine - if you can't, perhaps there's an issue with
the HTML?  Which browser?
Aha!

FF2 sees it fine, IE7 sees nothing past the "from Talk:Main Page" rubric.

HTH HAND
Phil

Re: liquid threads?

Erik Moeller-4
On 8/15/07, Phil Boswell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> FF2 sees it fine, IE7 sees nothing past the "from Talk:Main Page" rubric.

OK, good to know. We'll have to debug the HTML a bit. :)

--
Toward Peace, Love & Progress:
Erik

Re: liquid threads?

Thomas Dalton
The naming of threads seems very strange... I can't see much of a
pattern to it at all... "Thread:XYZ 1" could be either a reply to
"Thread:XYZ" or a second thread named "XYZ". Also, each post seems to
be its own thread, which is rather a strange definition of "thread"
(makes sense to the mathematician in me, but for the web user in me,
it's very strange).

However, despite that, the implementation seems to work pretty well.

Re: liquid threads?

Platonides
Erik Moeller wrote:
> On 8/15/07, Phil Boswell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> FF2 sees it fine, IE7 sees nothing past the "from Talk:Main Page" rubric.
>
> OK, good to know. We'll have to debug the HTML a bit. :)

wikixp.org/lqt/monobook/main.css contains:
.lqt_thread {
//        display: none;
}

This is incorrect syntax, as CSS comments are in C syntax (/* */), not
C++. Could be that IE is ignoring the // and thus honouring display: none
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/syndata.html#comments

PS: The page also has an id="", which is invalid XHTML.

Re: liquid threads?

Aryeh Gregor
On 8/15/07, Platonides <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Erik Moeller wrote:
> > On 8/15/07, Phil Boswell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> FF2 sees it fine, IE7 sees nothing past the "from Talk:Main Page" rubric.
> >
> > OK, good to know. We'll have to debug the HTML a bit. :)
>
> wikixp.org/lqt/monobook/main.css contains:
> .lqt_thread {
> //        display: none;
> }
>
> This is incorrect syntax, as CSS comments are in C syntax (/* */), not
> C++. Could be that IE is ignoring the // and thus honouring display: none
> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/syndata.html#comments

Unsurprising.  The correct behavior, of course, is to ignore
everything up to the end of the rule, i.e., the next semicolon, and so
of course standards-compliant browsers do that.

You need to run your XHTML and CSS through the W3C's validators.  It's
not just academic, these things really do cut out bugs.

Re: liquid threads?

Platonides
Simetrical wrote:

> On 8/15/07, Platonides <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Erik Moeller wrote:
>>> OK, good to know. We'll have to debug the HTML a bit. :)
>> wikixp.org/lqt/monobook/main.css contains:
>> .lqt_thread {
>> //        display: none;
>> }
>>
>> This is incorrect syntax, as CSS comments are in C syntax (/* */), not
>> C++. Could be that IE is ignoring the // and thus honouring display: none
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/syndata.html#comments
>
> Unsurprising.  The correct behavior, of course, is to ignore
> everything up to the end of the rule, i.e., the next semicolon, and so
> of course standards-compliant browsers do that.
>
> You need to run your XHTML and CSS through the W3C's validators.  It's
> not just academic, these things really do cut out bugs.

I'm not the author, they are not mine.
Strangely is that the CSS validator doesn't complain on it, the new
version seems to have some odd behaviour.

Re: liquid threads?

Aryeh Gregor
On 8/15/07, Platonides <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm not the author, they are not mine.

I know that.  :)  I was talking to David/Erik/whoever else is dealing
with this project.

Re: liquid threads?

Travis Derouin-2
So, just out of curiosity, how far along is this project? We'd definitely
like to add it once it's ready to wikiHow. I recall, but could be totally
wrong, seeing a demo that was farther along than this one last year at
Wikimania. Is that demo still available?

Travis

Re: liquid threads?

David McCabe

> So, just out of curiosity, how far along is this project? We'd
> definitely
> like to add it once it's ready to wikiHow. I recall, but could be
> totally
> wrong, seeing a demo that was farther along than this one last year at
> Wikimania. Is that demo still available?

No, that demo sucked and was built with scotch tape.

With this version, we've upgraded to duct tape!

I just fixed this erroneous CSS, but I don't have IE here to test it.
Could somebody please confirm that that fixed the problem? Thanks.

--
David McCabe

Re: liquid threads?

Magnus Manske-2
On 8/18/07, David McCabe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > So, just out of curiosity, how far along is this project? We'd
> > definitely
> > like to add it once it's ready to wikiHow. I recall, but could be
> > totally
> > wrong, seeing a demo that was farther along than this one last year at
> > Wikimania. Is that demo still available?
>
> No, that demo sucked and was built with scotch tape.
>
> With this version, we've upgraded to duct tape!

Speaking of duct tape, until liquidthreads becomes live/default, I
have a quick javascript hack to offer.

Screenshot (sorry, in German, but you get the idea;-)
http://magnusmanske.de/wikipedia/Demodiskussion.png

SOurce:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benutzer:Magnus_Manske/ED.js

It removes the TOC from discussion pages, replaces <h2> and the
section until the next <h2> with grey bars showing the former <h2>
title. It also extracts all date-like text from each section and shows
it in the grey bar (so you know what date range that "thread" was).
You can expand and collapse the bars to show/hide the actual thread,
individually or for the whole page. You can also invert the order of
the discussions (to put "newest first").

Inverted sorting can be done by default, as well as automatically
expanding the newest X threads.

My 2c,
Magnus