login.toolserver.org

River Tarnell-5

Re: login.toolserver.org

Fahad Sadah-2
Perhaps it could be made into a DNS round-robin?
Fahad Sadah

Re: login.toolserver.org

Misza13
On 2009-08-01 13:36, Fahad Sadah wrote:
> Perhaps it could be made into a DNS round-robin?

Not a very good idea.
The servers may have a shared /home but they're still different machines.
When I login to nightshade to kill a program that's malfunctioning there
or adjust a cronjob's frequency (crontab is settings are not shared), I
wouldn't want to end up on willow instead.
Besides, one is a GNU/Linux and the other a Solaris - not a trivial
difference for some (I prefer the former, which is why I'm not using
willow at all).

Regards,
Misza

Re: login.toolserver.org

Henrik Hodne-2

That wouldn't make any sense, since there isn't any file replication
between the servers. So if you have your tools on one server, and the
round-robin chooses the other, you need to relogin...

Henrik Hodne

Fahad Sadah wrote:

> Perhaps it could be made into a DNS round-robin?
> Fahad Sadah
>

> 2009/7/21 River Tarnell <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
> hi,
>
> in the past we provided the login.toolserver.org
> <http://login.toolserver.org> alias, which pointed at the
> login server.  we have decided to deprecate this alias, because:
>
> 1. it didn't really work, since changing login server requires much
> more work
> than just changing an alias.
> 2. now we have two login servers, it's not clear which 'login'
> should refer to.
>
> to avoid breaking anything, we will leave the alias in place, but i
> suggest
> updating any uses of it to refer to a particular login server
> (nightshade or
> willow).
>
>        - river.

Re: login.toolserver.org

Pietrodn

Re: login.toolserver.org

Fahad Sadah-2
Gmail automatically writes above the quoted text.
Fahad Sadah

2009/8/1 Pietrodn <[hidden email]>

Re: login.toolserver.org

Casey Brown-5
On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Pietrodn<[hidden email]> wrote:
> The home directories are shared among the servers via NFS.
> OT: What's the standard fo replying in this ML? Top-posting or bottom-
> posting? I always prefer to bottom-post my replies, but I could not be
> right.

As I think River has been known to tell us, http://enwp.org/wiki/Top-posting

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

Re: login.toolserver.org

River Tarnell-5

Re: top-posting

Pietrodn

Re: login.toolserver.org

Al Tally

Gmail writes your emails for you? :-)

--
Alex
(User:Majorly)

Re: login.toolserver.org

Carl Fürstenberg
On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 16:50, Fahad Sadah<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Gmail automatically writes above the quoted text.
> Fahad Sadah
>

> 2009/8/1 Pietrodn <[hidden email]>

>> Il giorno 01/ago/09, alle ore 16:21, Henrik Hodne ha scritto:

There is an solution to that problem if you are using FireFox at
least. Install the addon Better Gmail 2; in it's prefs, go to tab
"Compose" and activate "Bottom post in reply". Reload Gmail and start
bottom post!

--
/Carl Fürstenberg <[hidden email]>

Re: login.toolserver.org

Andrew Garrett-4

On 01/08/2009, at 5:04 PM, Carl Fürstenberg wrote:
> There is an solution to that problem if you are using FireFox at
> least. Install the addon Better Gmail 2; in it's prefs, go to tab
> "Compose" and activate "Bottom post in reply". Reload Gmail and start
> bottom post!

It apparently doesn't automatically trim your messages.

--
Andrew Garrett
[hidden email]