logo only shows up on some pages

Matt Morgan
I changed my logo by setting $wgLogo in LocalSettings.php. I believe
that's the right way.

It only shows up on some pages. It seems like it likes to show up on
editing pages, login pages--pages with forms. It doesn't show up on
content pages (when you're only reading them), the main page, etc.
When it doesn't show up, I don't see a broken image box or anything,
it's just not there.

It doesn't seem to matter what skin I use, and I've been sure to clear
cache and restart httpd, etc. It's actually happening the same way in
two different installations. In both cases the logos are nice and
small; one of them is a png with transparency and the other is a
non-transparent png. Any ideas?

Side note: I'm new to MediaWiki, but I'm having a really hard time
googling for help. If I include "MediaWiki" in the search string, the
results seem to return every third wiki out there, rather than help
about MediaWiki. Any tips there?

Thanks,
Matt

Google and wikis (was Re: logo only shows up on some pages)

Martin Jambon
On Fri, 10 Feb 2006, Matt Morgan wrote:

> Side note: I'm new to MediaWiki, but I'm having a really hard time
> googling for help. If I include "MediaWiki" in the search string, the
> results seem to return every third wiki out there, rather than help
> about MediaWiki. Any tips there?

I also noticed serious flaws in the Google results when searching for some
wikis. Google seems to have problems with the "wiki" keyword:

Shouldn't a search for `mediawiki wiki' (w/o quotes) return:
   http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki
???

`mediawiki' alone works, so that's fine, but not expected.

I personally have a problem with the wiki I am running:
`bioinformatics wiki' should return some link to http://wikiomics.org in
the top ten Google results, if not first.

So I really don't know what I can do, I was used to much better results
from Google for my non-wiki pages, without forcing anything. Does anyone
have a similar experience? Any fix?

Martin

--
Martin Jambon, PhD
http://martin.jambon.free.fr

Visit http://wikiomics.org, the Bioinformatics Howto Wiki

Re: logo only shows up on some pages

Rob Church
Could it be MediaWiki's internal cache of pages? Append &action=purge
to URLs of affected pages and see if that sorts it. If so, set
$wgCacheEpoch[1] in LocalSettings.php or truncate the objectcache
table.

[1] => http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:$wgCacheEpoch

Rob Church

On 10/02/06, Matt Morgan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I changed my logo by setting $wgLogo in LocalSettings.php. I believe
> that's the right way.
>
> It only shows up on some pages. It seems like it likes to show up on
> editing pages, login pages--pages with forms. It doesn't show up on
> content pages (when you're only reading them), the main page, etc.
> When it doesn't show up, I don't see a broken image box or anything,
> it's just not there.
>
> It doesn't seem to matter what skin I use, and I've been sure to clear
> cache and restart httpd, etc. It's actually happening the same way in
> two different installations. In both cases the logos are nice and
> small; one of them is a png with transparency and the other is a
> non-transparent png. Any ideas?
>
> Side note: I'm new to MediaWiki, but I'm having a really hard time
> googling for help. If I include "MediaWiki" in the search string, the
> results seem to return every third wiki out there, rather than help
> about MediaWiki. Any tips there?
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

Re: logo only shows up on some pages

Brion Vibber
Matt Morgan wrote:
> I changed my logo by setting $wgLogo in LocalSettings.php. I believe
> that's the right way.
>
> It only shows up on some pages.

Cache.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: Google and wikis (was Re: logo only shows up on some pages)

Joe Siegler
On 2/10/06, Martin Jambon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Side note: I'm new to MediaWiki, but I'm having a really hard time
> > googling for help. If I include "MediaWiki" in the search string, the
> > results seem to return every third wiki out there, rather than help
> > about MediaWiki. Any tips there?
>
> I also noticed serious flaws in the Google results when searching for some
> wikis. Google seems to have problems with the "wiki" keyword:

I signed up for this list awhile back, and I just route all the msgs
in Gmail to archived - I have everything that's been sent since I
signed up, it's a little over 1,000 msgs.  Given Gmail's huge amount
of storage, it's no problem to keep them all - a personal Wiki
database of sorts.   I can search in Gmail over all the recent
emailings.

This isn't a perfect solution, and it won't help you for things in the
past (or right now), but if you let it build up enough over time, you
just might have what you want in Gmail.

--
Joe Siegler
[hidden email] - John 3:16

Re: Google and wikis (was Re: logo only shows up on some pages)

Gordon Mohr (@ Bitzi)
Martin Jambon wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Feb 2006, Matt Morgan wrote:
>
>> Side note: I'm new to MediaWiki, but I'm having a really hard time
>> googling for help. If I include "MediaWiki" in the search string, the
>> results seem to return every third wiki out there, rather than help
>> about MediaWiki. Any tips there?
>

> I also noticed serious flaws in the Google results when searching for
> some wikis. Google seems to have problems with the "wiki" keyword:
>
> Shouldn't a search for `mediawiki wiki' (w/o quotes) return:
>   http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki
> ???

It does, in position #12. And the higher results are mostly
reasonable, too.

> `mediawiki' alone works, so that's fine, but not expected.

Their secret and proprietary ranking algorithms tell Google that
people searching for [mediawiki wiki] should get the other results
higher, as compared to plain [mediawiki] results. Tweaking the
algorithms to do otherwise might help some cases, but hurt
elsewhere. They're optimizing with regard to a lot of variables,
so local anomalies aren't surprising. And can we be sure their
ordering for [mediawiki wiki] isn't optimal for generating the
most satisfied users (or most ad revenue)?

Overall, they seem to be doing great ranking wikis and
URLs/content with 'wiki' in them. There's no evidence of any 'flaw'.

> I personally have a problem with the wiki I am running:
> `bioinformatics wiki' should return some link to http://wikiomics.org in
> the top ten Google results, if not first.

How modest! :) You do appear somewhere around 60-70.

And, you are named in the 'snippet' shown for the #1 Google
result, a Wikipedia page, perhaps helped by the way you bumped
your site to the very top of the list of related links in an edit
January 31st.

> So I really don't know what I can do, I was used to much better results
> from Google for my non-wiki pages, without forcing anything. Does anyone
> have a similar experience? Any fix?

It looks like your site is less than 3 months old. So step #1
would be: just wait. It takes a while -- sometimes 6 months or
more -- before Google trusts new sites with a prominent ranking:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandbox_Effect

Separate from the sandbox effect: as your site gets deeper
content, more organic links from diverse sites (not just backlinks
you've pushed out yourself), and longer visits from happy users,
you should also expect it to find its "true" higher level.

- Gordon

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006, Gordon Mohr (@ Bitzi) wrote:

> Martin Jambon wrote:
>> On Fri, 10 Feb 2006, Matt Morgan wrote:
>>
>>> Side note: I'm new to MediaWiki, but I'm having a really hard time
>>> googling for help. If I include "MediaWiki" in the search string, the
>>> results seem to return every third wiki out there, rather than help
>>> about MediaWiki. Any tips there?
>>

>> I also noticed serious flaws in the Google results when searching for some
>> wikis. Google seems to have problems with the "wiki" keyword:
>>
>> Shouldn't a search for `mediawiki wiki' (w/o quotes) return:
>>   http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki
>> ???
>
> It does, in position #12. And the higher results are mostly reasonable, too.

Mmmmh, I don't feel that's usual Google quality.

>> `mediawiki' alone works, so that's fine, but not expected.
>
> Their secret and proprietary ranking algorithms tell Google that people
> searching for [mediawiki wiki] should get the other results higher, as
> compared to plain [mediawiki] results. Tweaking the algorithms to do
> otherwise might help some cases, but hurt elsewhere. They're optimizing with
> regard to a lot of variables, so local anomalies aren't surprising. And can
> we be sure their ordering for [mediawiki wiki] isn't optimal for generating
> the most satisfied users (or most ad revenue)?
>
> Overall, they seem to be doing great ranking wikis and URLs/content with
> 'wiki' in them. There's no evidence of any 'flaw'.

Maybe it's just a sandbox effect on my site as you suggest.
I was suspecting that all links from blogs and wikis tagged with
rel=nofollow would have a bad effect on the ranking of these new
generation websites (as far as I understand it's a widespread practice
which is supposed to avoid Google bombing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_bombing).

>> I personally have a problem with the wiki I am running:
>> `bioinformatics wiki' should return some link to http://wikiomics.org in
>> the top ten Google results, if not first.
>
> How modest! :) You do appear somewhere around 60-70.

Come on, there are not 60 bioinformatics wikis!

Funny thing: I was about to say "come on, Google is not Altavista". So I
discovered that (1) Altavista still exists and (2) my site is ranked #2 on
Altavista!
Too bad nobody uses Altavista anymore.

> And, you are named in the 'snippet' shown for the #1 Google result, a
> Wikipedia page, perhaps helped by the way you bumped your site to the very
> top of the list of related links in an edit January 31st.
>
>> So I really don't know what I can do, I was used to much better results
>> from Google for my non-wiki pages, without forcing anything. Does anyone
>> have a similar experience? Any fix?
>
> It looks like your site is less than 3 months old. So step #1 would be: just
> wait. It takes a while -- sometimes 6 months or more -- before Google trusts
> new sites with a prominent ranking:
>
>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandbox_Effect

Very interesting, thank you. That matches exactly my symptoms.

> Separate from the sandbox effect: as your site gets deeper content, more
> organic links from diverse sites (not just backlinks you've pushed out
> yourself), and longer visits from happy users, you should also expect it to
> find its "true" higher level.

Sure.

Martin

--
Martin Jambon, PhD
http://martin.jambon.free.fr

Visit http://wikiomics.org, the Bioinformatics Howto Wiki

Re: Google and wikis (was Re: logo only shows up on some pages)

Vedant Lath
hi,

It looks like your site is less than 3 months old. So step #1
would be: just wait. It takes a while -- sometimes 6 months or
more -- before Google trusts new sites with a prominent ranking:

google indexed a java program on my newly created website
vedant.lath.inonly a few days ago, and the program is at #9 in the
search for "sudoku
java". vedant.lath.in was made in november or december of 2005. google
started indexing it only in january.

and my program has only 2 links from other web pages! both are from
setbb.com, a forum for various things.
it is a mystery for me how google's pagerank algorithm works.

vedant

On 2/12/06, Gordon Mohr (@ Bitzi) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Martin Jambon wrote:
> > On Fri, 10 Feb 2006, Matt Morgan wrote:
> >
> >> Side note: I'm new to MediaWiki, but I'm having a really hard time
> >> googling for help. If I include "MediaWiki" in the search string, the
> >> results seem to return every third wiki out there, rather than help
> >> about MediaWiki. Any tips there?
> >

> > I also noticed serious flaws in the Google results when searching for
> > some wikis. Google seems to have problems with the "wiki" keyword:
> >
> > Shouldn't a search for `mediawiki wiki' (w/o quotes) return:
> >   http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki
> > ???
>
> It does, in position #12. And the higher results are mostly
> reasonable, too.
>
> > `mediawiki' alone works, so that's fine, but not expected.
>
> Their secret and proprietary ranking algorithms tell Google that
> people searching for [mediawiki wiki] should get the other results
> higher, as compared to plain [mediawiki] results. Tweaking the
> algorithms to do otherwise might help some cases, but hurt
> elsewhere. They're optimizing with regard to a lot of variables,
> so local anomalies aren't surprising. And can we be sure their
> ordering for [mediawiki wiki] isn't optimal for generating the
> most satisfied users (or most ad revenue)?
>
> Overall, they seem to be doing great ranking wikis and
> URLs/content with 'wiki' in them. There's no evidence of any 'flaw'.
>
> > I personally have a problem with the wiki I am running:
> > `bioinformatics wiki' should return some link to http://wikiomics.org in
> > the top ten Google results, if not first.
>
> How modest! :) You do appear somewhere around 60-70.
>
> And, you are named in the 'snippet' shown for the #1 Google
> result, a Wikipedia page, perhaps helped by the way you bumped
> your site to the very top of the list of related links in an edit
> January 31st.
>
> > So I really don't know what I can do, I was used to much better results
> > from Google for my non-wiki pages, without forcing anything. Does anyone
> > have a similar experience? Any fix?
>
> It looks like your site is less than 3 months old. So step #1
> would be: just wait. It takes a while -- sometimes 6 months or
> more -- before Google trusts new sites with a prominent ranking:
>
>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandbox_Effect
>
> Separate from the sandbox effect: as your site gets deeper
> content, more organic links from diverse sites (not just backlinks
> you've pushed out yourself), and longer visits from happy users,
> you should also expect it to find its "true" higher level.
>
> - Gordon

Re: Google and wikis (was Re: logo only shows up on some pages)

Iliya Kuznetsov
Now Google has SiteMaps engine (based on xml description of whole site with additional info).
Probably, it will be good way to use it through extension.

--
Cybernetic Humanoid Used for Mathematics and Potential Assassination
[hidden email]                                       icq 122393064

On 2/10/06, Rob Church <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Could it be MediaWiki's internal cache of pages? Append &action=purge
> to URLs of affected pages and see if that sorts it. If so, set
> $wgCacheEpoch[1] in LocalSettings.php

Thanks. Both these methods result in completely blank pages (ie all
pages returned blank upon reload). What am I doing wrong?

> or truncate the objectcache
> table.

The objectcache table appeared to be empty to start with, and

use wikidb;
truncate table kb_objectcache;

said "0 rows affected." I still don't get the logo on basic pages when
I read them (but I do when I edit them).

Any more ideas? Thanks a lot,
Matt

Matt Morgan wrote:
> On 2/10/06, Rob Church <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Could it be MediaWiki's internal cache of pages? Append &action=purge
>> to URLs of affected pages and see if that sorts it. If so, set
>> $wgCacheEpoch[1] in LocalSettings.php
>
> Thanks. Both these methods result in completely blank pages (ie all
> pages returned blank upon reload). What am I doing wrong?

Usually this means you made a typo in LocalSettings.php and PHP is configured
not to display error messages in output.

Check in particular for a missing semicolon at the end of the line.

You can usually override the hidden error messages by putting these lines near
the top of LocalSettings.php (*after* the <?php bit!)

  ini_set("display_errors", true);
  error_reporting(E_ALL);

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: logo only shows up on some pages

Matt Morgan

> Matt Morgan wrote:
> > On 2/10/06, Rob Church <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Could it be MediaWiki's internal cache of pages? Append &action=purge
> >> to URLs of affected pages and see if that sorts it. If so, set
> >> $wgCacheEpoch[1] in LocalSettings.php
> >
> > Thanks. Both these methods result in completely blank pages (ie all
> > pages returned blank upon reload). What am I doing wrong?
>
> Usually this means you made a typo in LocalSettings.php and PHP is configured
> not to display error messages in output.
>
> Check in particular for a missing semicolon at the end of the line.

a) I'm sure that was it.
b) shame on me; that's the second time I've made that mistake.

Thanks.

On 2/14/06, Matt Morgan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2/14/06, Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Matt Morgan wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks. Both these methods result in completely blank pages (ie all
> > > pages returned blank upon reload). What am I doing wrong?
> >
> > Usually this means you made a typo in LocalSettings.php and PHP is configured
> > not to display error messages in output.
> >
> > Check in particular for a missing semicolon at the end of the line.
>
> a) I'm sure that was it.
> b) shame on me; that's the second time I've made that mistake.
>
> Thanks.

OK, I repaired the line in LocalSettings.php so that $wgCacheEpoch is
'20060215081500', i.e., earlier this morning (either a few minutes
ago, or a few hours ago if that's GMT). Recall that eariler I had
truncated the objectcache table (which appeared empty to start with).

Still, I only see the logo on pages with forms for data entry.
Editing, account creation, etc. Behavior is the same on two different
installs, on two different servers (although they are very similar).
This is true even for pages I had never viewed and for new pages,
created after the Cache Epoch.

Environment in both cases is:

MediaWiki 1.5.6
CentOS 4.2 Linux (almost identical to RHEL4, release 2)
Kernel 2.6.9-22.0.1.EL
Apache 2.0.52
PHP 4.3.9
MySQL 4.1.12
TurkMMCache installed (v. 4.3.9_2.4.6 ?)

Browser is Firefox 1.07, although it seems to be a server-side issue
(delivered pages make no reference to the logo image).

I checked in both installs, and the *_objectcache table is empty in
both cases. The only other similarity between these installs, and
perhaps some others, is that I did not set the $wgLogo first thing,
but rather ran the setup and viewed and created some pages before
adding the logo.

Any other possibilities? Thanks!

how do you edit the navigation pane?

Leandro Reis
Hi all,

This is only my second day using mediawiki, so pardon me if my question
sounds too basic or if the information is clearly available somewhere (i
looked, but didn't find it).

I'd like to change the links in the navigation pane, more specifically, to
remove the "Community Portal", "Current Events", "Random page" and
"Donations" links, and to add some links of my own.

I found these in the Languages.php file, but when I remove them from there,
and restart Apache, nothing changes.

Any help will be much appreciated,
Leandro Reis

Re: how do you edit the navigation pane?

Pedro Flores
You need to edit your index.php/MediaWiki:Sidebar page.

On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 01:11:09AM +0000, Leandro Reis wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This is only my second day using mediawiki, so pardon me if my question
> sounds too basic or if the information is clearly available somewhere (i
> looked, but didn't find it).
>
> I'd like to change the links in the navigation pane, more specifically, to
> remove the "Community Portal", "Current Events", "Random page" and
> "Donations" links, and to add some links of my own.
>
> I found these in the Languages.php file, but when I remove them from there,
> and restart Apache, nothing changes.
>
> Any help will be much appreciated,
> Leandro Reis

pedro

Re: how do you edit the navigation pane?

Leandro Reis
I tried that but the edit tab is not active, instead I see a "View source"
page with the following message:

"This page has been locked to prevent editing; there are a number of reasons
why this may be so, please see Project:Protected page".

The Project:Protected page is now available for me. Looks like I may not
have the right administrative rights?

>From: [hidden email] (Pedro Flores)
>To: MediaWiki announcements and site admin list <[hidden email]>
>Subject: Re: [Mediawiki-l] how do you edit the navigation pane?
>Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 19:20:18 -0600
>
>You need to edit your index.php/MediaWiki:Sidebar page.
>
>On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 01:11:09AM +0000, Leandro Reis wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > This is only my second day using mediawiki, so pardon me if my question
> > sounds too basic or if the information is clearly available somewhere (i
> > looked, but didn't find it).
> >
> > I'd like to change the links in the navigation pane, more specifically,
> > remove the "Community Portal", "Current Events", "Random page" and
> > "Donations" links, and to add some links of my own.
> >
> > I found these in the Languages.php file, but when I remove them from
>there,
> > and restart Apache, nothing changes.
> >
> > Any help will be much appreciated,
> > Leandro Reis

>--
>pedro

Re: how do you edit the navigation pane?

Filip Maljković
A WikiSysop (by default; you may have changed it) was created upon
installing your MediaWiki. Use it to appoint rights.

Leandro Reis wrote:

>I tried that but the edit tab is not active, instead I see a "View source"
>page with the following message:
>
>"This page has been locked to prevent editing; there are a number of reasons
>why this may be so, please see Project:Protected page".
>
>The Project:Protected page is now available for me. Looks like I may not
>have the right administrative rights?
>

>>From: [hidden email] (Pedro Flores)
>>To: MediaWiki announcements and site admin list <[hidden email]>
>>Subject: Re: [Mediawiki-l] how do you edit the navigation pane?
>>Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 19:20:18 -0600
>>
>>You need to edit your index.php/MediaWiki:Sidebar page.
>>
>>On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 01:11:09AM +0000, Leandro Reis wrote:
>>

>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>This is only my second day using mediawiki, so pardon me if my question
>>>sounds too basic or if the information is clearly available somewhere (i
>>>looked, but didn't find it).
>>>
>>>I'd like to change the links in the navigation pane, more specifically,

>>>remove the "Community Portal", "Current Events", "Random page" and
>>>"Donations" links, and to add some links of my own.
>>>
>>>I found these in the Languages.php file, but when I remove them from
>>>

>>there,
>>

>>>and restart Apache, nothing changes.
>>>
>>>Any help will be much appreciated,
>>>Leandro Reis

>>>Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's
>>>

>>FREE!
>>

>>>http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/

>>--
>>pedro

Re: how do you edit the navigation pane?

Rob Church
Log in with the superuser account created during installation. For
details on *what* to change on the page, see
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Navigation_bar.

Rob Church

Bugzilla from sy1234@gmail.com
On 2/12/06, Iliya Kuznetsov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Now Google has SiteMaps engine (based on xml description of whole site with additional info).
> Probably, it will be good way to use it through extension.

It's not possible for me to use that because I have rewriting and my
wiki won't return the proper error code for pages which are not found.
 =(

Re: Google and wikis (was Re: logo only shows up on some pages)

Martin Jambon
Sorry if this comes a bit off-topic, but it is an important followup of a
thread 3 months ago.

For the record: 3 months ago I was complaining about the bad google
ranking of my wiki site (http://wikiomics.org) when looking for "good"
keywords (`bioinformatics wiki').
Today (hopefully it will last), it is the first time I see it appear in
the top 10 results (ranked 2nd after [[wikipedia:bioinformatics]] in
both Google search and Yahoo! search).

So I was not completely wrong in my expectations, and the concept of
"sandbox effect" seems to apply. It took approximately 6 months since the
opening of the site to get honorable Google results (see the date of one
announcement I made at that time:
http://www-iphicles.rcsb.org/pdb/lists/pdb-l/200511/003012.html)

Martin

Edit http://wikiomics.org, bioinformatics wiki