lower membership fee: 20, 10 chf ?

thurner rupert-2
hi,

as the membership fees are becoming a smaller and smaller percentage
of our income, would it make sense to lower it to 20/10 chf per year ?
(too) often i heard that chf 50 is a too high barrier to become
member.

my personal feeling is, that one who thinks wikimedia deserves more
money could donate it. but it is inevitable that we become an even
stronger organisation by having more members, and finding more people
who have an interest in free knowledge projects.

kind regards,

rupert.

Re: lower membership fee: 20, 10 chf ?

Stéphane Coillet-Matillon
Do we know what's our membership demographics (e.g. majority of workers, students, pensioners)?

If we have more than 30% students or lower-income bracket, that could make sense.

2009/2/9 THURNER rupert <[hidden email]>
hi,

as the membership fees are becoming a smaller and smaller percentage
of our income, would it make sense to lower it to 20/10 chf per year ?
(too) often i heard that chf 50 is a too high barrier to become
member.

my personal feeling is, that one who thinks wikimedia deserves more
money could donate it. but it is inevitable that we become an even
stronger organisation by having more members, and finding more people
who have an interest in free knowledge projects.

kind regards,

rupert.

Re: lower membership fee: 20, 10 chf ?

Nico Ray
Hi,

Rupert, any idea about the values of the "smaller and smaller
percentage" you mentioned in your mail below ?
IMHO, it's quite challenging to have a clear opinion on this without
accurate figures...

Rgds,
Nico

Stéphane Coillet-Matillon wrote:

> Do we know what's our membership demographics (e.g. majority of
> workers, students, pensioners)?
>
> If we have more than 30% students or lower-income bracket, that could
> make sense.
>
> 2009/2/9 THURNER rupert <[hidden email]>
>
>     hi,
>
>     as the membership fees are becoming a smaller and smaller percentage
>     of our income, would it make sense to lower it to 20/10 chf per year ?
>     (too) often i heard that chf 50 is a too high barrier to become
>     member.
>
>     my personal feeling is, that one who thinks wikimedia deserves more
>     money could donate it. but it is inevitable that we become an even
>     stronger organisation by having more members, and finding more people
>     who have an interest in free knowledge projects.
>
>     kind regards,
>
>     rupert.

Re: lower membership fee: 20, 10 chf ?

Ilario Valdelli
Personally I think that 50 CHF is a big effort for students.

Wikimedia Ch has not financial problems and this incoming can be reduced without problem.

But in the other side I would like that to be member of Wikimedia Ch has not less value than an hotdog ;)

40% of reduction can be acceptable.

Ilario

Nico Ray wrote:
[...]

Manuel Schneider-3
Am Montag, 9. Februar 2009 schrieb Ilario Valdelli:
> Personally I think that 50 CHF is a big effort for students.

I'd like to mention that there is a reduced fee for students et.al. which is
only 20 CHF.

But I can follow the arguments of Ruperts saying that we should concentrate on
getting more members instead of membership fees.

--
Regards
Manuel Schneider

www.wikimedia.ch

Re: lower membership fee: 20, 10 chf ?

Beda Gygli
An Option would be to reduce the ordinary fees to 40.-, the double of the students fee, which I wouldn't change. In my eyes, the better way to gain more members is more publicity. This can be achieved by services for schools, organising good new content and get the press to know, occasions for older people to learn about the wikipedia, street actions which give things for free as the wikipedia is...

Yust my two cents
Beda

PS: At the moment, easely accessable information for teachers about Wikipedia is missing.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 21:42:02 +0100
> Von: Manuel Schneider <[hidden email]>
> An: Mailing list for Wikimedia CH <[hidden email]>
> Betreff: Re: [Wikimediach-l] lower membership fee: 20, 10 chf ?

> Am Montag, 9. Februar 2009 schrieb Ilario Valdelli:
> > Personally I think that 50 CHF is a big effort for students.
>
> I'd like to mention that there is a reduced fee for students et.al. which
> is
> only 20 CHF.
>
> But I can follow the arguments of Ruperts saying that we should
> concentrate on
> getting more members instead of membership fees.
>
> --
> Regards
> Manuel Schneider
>
> Wikimedia CH - Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens
> Wikimedia CH - Association for the advancement of free knowledge
> www.wikimedia.ch

Re: lower membership fee: 20, 10 chf ?

Ilario Valdelli
Yes, but I would avoid to seem "cheap".

In any case who likes make comparison: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_chapters#Existing_chapters

In this case Wm Ch members could have a measurement to get an opinion.

Ilario

P.S. Personally I won't look for a big number, but for a "qualitative" number

Manuel Schneider wrote:
Am Montag, 9. Februar 2009 schrieb Ilario Valdelli:

Personally I think that 50 CHF is a big effort for students.

I'd like to mention that there is a reduced fee for students et.al. which is
only 20 CHF.

But I can follow the arguments of Ruperts saying that we should concentrate on
getting more members instead of membership fees.

Re: lower membership fee: 20, 10 chf ?

Nando Stöcklin-2
2009/2/9 Ilario Valdelli <[hidden email]>

P.S. Personally I won't look for a big number, but for a "qualitative" number

ACK. A lot of members who are paying almost nothing give us a lot of administrative work and not much income. IMHO our members fees are ok, students do not have to pay a lot.

Nando

Re: lower membership fee: 20, 10 chf ?

Wolf Ludwig
Hi all,

Beda Gygli wrote Mon, 09 Feb 2009 22:16:
>An Option would be to reduce the ordinary fees to 40.-, the double of the students fee, which I wouldn't >change. In my eyes, the better way to gain more members is more publicity. This can be achieved by services >for schools, organising good new content and get the press to know, occasions for older people to learn >about the wikipedia, street actions which give things for free as the wikipedia is...

I agree with the motion of Beda on the membership fees. CHF 50,- upwards can be an open donation spectrum ;-). I also believe that *popularity* is essential (to be clear: Wikipedia is well known already - and a success story of the net age! - but not its Swiss association yet). Organising presentations in schools is great, what about organising a cooperation with the Swiss Seniors Association (Schweizer SeniorInnen Verband) and their web-platform Seniorenweb.ch? Once activities and campaigns like this will happen, the media will be eager to report about it ...

Best,
Wolf

comunica-ch
phone +41 79 204 83 87
Skype: Wolf-Ludwig
www.comunica-ch.net

Digitale Allemd
http://blog.allmend.ch -

EURALO
https://st.icann.org/euralo/index.cgi?euralo_icann_at_large_europe

Re: lower membership fee: 20, 10 chf ?

Ilario Valdelli
On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 1:04 PM, Wolf Ludwig
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I agree with the motion of Beda on the membership fees. CHF 50,- upwards can be an open donation spectrum ;-). I also believe that *popularity* is essential (to be clear: Wikipedia is well known already - and a success story of the net age! - but not its Swiss association yet). Organising presentations in schools is great, what about organising a cooperation with the Swiss Seniors Association (Schweizer SeniorInnen Verband) and their web-platform Seniorenweb.ch? Once activities and campaigns like this will happen, the media will be eager to report about it ...
>
> Best,
> Wolf

Surely Wikipedia is well known, Wikimedia is not. Good idea to
widespread the association in the schools and to collaborate with
them, the same opinion for common activities with Seniorweb (my
personal support).

The problem is to find a group of members who will support and work
for those projects. We have some experience from other Wikimedia
associations and we know that is not a simple project if we don't
assure a continuity.

Ilario

Re: lower membership fee: 20, 10 chf ?

Wolf Ludwig
Hi Ilario and all,

 Ilario Valdelli wrote Tue, 10 Feb 2009 13:22:
>(...)
>The problem is to find a group of members who will support and work
>for those projects. We have some experience from other Wikimedia
>associations and we know that is not a simple project if we don't
>assure a continuity.

Yes, that's a crucial point! I think, we need to create such an "outreach"
group of people (with different backgrounds possibly). According to my
time planning, I may have more capacities from April onwards again
(and I still owe to make contacts and prepare a first meeting with the
Bundesarchiv, what I promised to the Board and Michael).

Best,
Wolf

comunica-ch
phone +41 79 204 83 87
Skype: Wolf-Ludwig
www.comunica-ch.net

Digitale Allemd
http://blog.allmend.ch -

EURALO
https://st.icann.org/euralo/index.cgi?euralo_icann_at_large_europe

Re: lower membership fee: 20, 10 chf ?

Beda Gygli
I could support a group for school, as I am becoming teacher. I recently searched for a possibility for teaching the proper methods of research.
The best approach for the kids to understand Wikipedia I found:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_f%C3%BCr_Sch%C3%BCler

My problem is just the time, so I just can support to this group. Nando Stöcklin seems to have experience, maybe he can help.

Beda

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 13:55:55 +0100
> Von: Wolf Ludwig <[hidden email]>
> An: Mailing list for Wikimedia CH <[hidden email]>, "Mailinglist for Wikimedia CH" <[hidden email]>
> Betreff: Re: [Wikimediach-l] lower membership fee: 20, 10 chf ?

> Hi Ilario and all,
>
>  Ilario Valdelli wrote Tue, 10 Feb 2009 13:22:
> >(...)
> >The problem is to find a group of members who will support and work
> >for those projects. We have some experience from other Wikimedia
> >associations and we know that is not a simple project if we don't
> >assure a continuity.
>
> Yes, that's a crucial point! I think, we need to create such an "outreach"
> group of people (with different backgrounds possibly). According to my
> time planning, I may have more capacities from April onwards again
> (and I still owe to make contacts and prepare a first meeting with the
> Bundesarchiv, what I promised to the Board and Michael).
>
> Best,
> Wolf
>

> comunica-ch
> phone +41 79 204 83 87
> Skype: Wolf-Ludwig
> www.comunica-ch.net
>
> Digitale Allemd
> http://blog.allmend.ch -
>
> EURALO
> https://st.icann.org/euralo/index.cgi?euralo_icann_at_large_europe

Re: lower membership fee: 20, 10 chf ?

rupert THURNER-2
it was and is a 4 digit CHF number, which was in the beginning well
above 50%, and now it might be down to ~ 5%. robin will have the exact
numbers at the general assembly.

rupert.