<-- WikiDragon alert

Pete Forsyth-2
Hello all,

I'm probably not the only one starting to think ahead to Wikimania 2013. So today, I did a rather massive overhaul of the Wikimania pages on Meta -- trying to both wrap my head around the event's history, the process of venue selection, and existing documentation -- and also trying to organize it in a way that will make it more accessible as other try to educate themselves.

I sort of wish I'd taken a screenshot or two of the Category structure before I started, because to be blunt, it was *awful*! I hope what I've left behind is an improvement. If you want to take a look at the havoc I've wreaked, you should probably look at:

I hope this is viewed as a net positive. In hindsight, as I was getting deeper into this, I started to realize that I maybe should have stopped to seek consensus before making such extensive changes. But I am pretty confident you'll like what you see -- if not, please let me know, and I'll do my best to undo any damage :)

-Pete

Re: <-- WikiDragon alert

Mateus Nobre
Something confirmed about the candidates to host Wikimania 2013?

I've heard rumors about Kenya, U.K. and Portugal...

_____________________
ateusNobre
Wikimedia Brazil - MetalBrasil on Wikimedia projects
(+55) 85 88393509
              30440865

Re: <-- WikiDragon alert

Josh Lim
I know Portugal pulled out.  Haven't heard anything about Kenya and the U.K., and I'm still hoping I can make a Manila 2013 bid viable. :P

Josh

JAMES JOSHUA G. LIM
Block I1, AB Political Science
Major in Global Politics, Minor in Chinese Studies
Class of 2013, Ateneo de Manila University
Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines

Vice-President (2011-2012), Wikimedia Philippines
Member, Ateneo Debate Society
Member, The Assembly
Member, Ateneo Lingua Ars Cultura

[hidden email] | +63 (927) 531-8301
Friendster/Facebook/Twitter: akiestar | Wikimedia: Sky Harbor
http://akira123323.livejournal.com

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 18:44:37 -0700
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]; [hidden email]

http://enwp.org/meta%3aWikimania
http://enwp.org/meta%3aCategory%3aWikimania
http://enwp.org/meta%3aWikimania_jury

Or just pore over my (metaphorically) OCD-fueled recent contribs: http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?limit=50&tagFilter=&title=Special:Contributions&contribs=user&target=Peteforsyth&namespace=&tagfilter=&year=2011&month=10

I hope this is viewed as a net positive. In hindsight, as I was getting deeper into this, I started to realize that I maybe should have stopped to seek consensus before making such extensive changes. But I am pretty confident you'll like what you see -- if not, please let me know, and I'll do my best to undo any damage :)

-Pete

Re: <-- WikiDragon alert

Orsolya Gyenes
I heard about France and India in Haifa.

~Orsolya
Wikimania 2011 Program Comm.

2011/10/22 Mateus Nobre <[hidden email]>
Something confirmed about the candidates to host Wikimania 2013?

I've heard rumors about Kenya, U.K. and Portugal...

_____________________
ateusNobre
Wikimedia Brazil - MetalBrasil on Wikimedia projects
              30440865

Re: <-- WikiDragon alert

Manuel Schneider-3
Am 23.10.2011 00:12, schrieb Orsolya Gyenes:
> I heard about France and India in Haifa.

just look here:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2013/Bids#Unofficial_bids

If you also have a look into the bid pages you easily get a picture
which bid is more seroius than others.

/Manuel
--
Regards
Manuel Schneider

www.wikimedia.ch

Re: <-- WikiDragon alert

Mateus Nobre
hahah Manuel,
But U.K. and Kenya haven't made yet the bid, But I think they'll be hard to match candidates.

Wikimedia Kenya will make a splendid bid, don't doubt it. I talk to these guys from Kenya every week and I see them are really focusing on it. Kenya, btw, have great facilities for international conferences
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenyatta_International_Conference_Centre some people consider the best place in Africa to make large conferences.

I talked to them (Alex Wafula and Kosgei Kips Isaac from Wikimedia Kenya - know them at Wikimania 2011), they are just preparing some details to make the bid.

And about U.K., I chat wih Rich Farmbrough a lot in the bus to Jerusalem, leaving Haifa, and he told me about the plans for Wikimania U.K. 2013. He's thinking about Oxford and Liverpool.
It's clear that U.K. easily can hold a Wikimania =p
_____________________
ateusNobre
MetalBrasil on Wikimedia projects
(+55) 85 88393509
              30440865

> Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 10:06:22 +0200

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Wikimania-l] <-- WikiDragon alert
>
> Am 23.10.2011 00:12, schrieb Orsolya Gyenes:
> > I heard about France and India in Haifa.
>
> just look here:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2013/Bids#Unofficial_bids
>
> If you also have a look into the bid pages you easily get a picture
> which bid is more seroius than others.
>

> /Manuel
> --
> Regards
> Manuel Schneider
>
> Wikimedia CH - Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens
> Wikimedia CH - Association for the advancement of free knowledge
> www.wikimedia.ch

Re: <-- WikiDragon alert

Thomas Dalton
On 23 October 2011 13:36, Mateus Nobre <[hidden email]> wrote:
> And about U.K., I chat wih Rich Farmbrough a lot in the bus to Jerusalem,
> leaving Haifa, and he told me about the plans for Wikimania U.K. 2013. He's
> thinking about Oxford and Liverpool.
> It's clear that U.K. easily can hold a Wikimania =p

There has been a lot of discussion in the UK about bidding for
Wikimania, but nothing substantial has happened yet. It will probably
be 2014, rather than 2013.

Re: <-- WikiDragon alert

Mateus Nobre
and 2015 the Brazilians are working hard. We spread the idea (Wikimania 2015 Rio) in all Wikimania 2011 =p

_____________________
ateusNobre
MetalBrasil on Wikimedia projects
(+55) 85 88393509
              30440865

> Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 13:57:14 +0100

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Wikimania-l] <-- WikiDragon alert
>
> On 23 October 2011 13:36, Mateus Nobre <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > And about U.K., I chat wih Rich Farmbrough a lot in the bus to Jerusalem,
> > leaving Haifa, and he told me about the plans for Wikimania U.K. 2013. He's
> > thinking about Oxford and Liverpool.
> > It's clear that U.K. easily can hold a Wikimania =p
>
> There has been a lot of discussion in the UK about bidding for
> Wikimania, but nothing substantial has happened yet. It will probably
> be 2014, rather than 2013.

Re: <-- WikiDragon alert

Mateus Nobre
P.S.: 2015 is between World Cup (2014) and Olympic games (2016). Wikimedia Brazil would have all the facilities for a exceptional Wikimania :p

_____________________
ateusNobre

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 16:00:23 +0300

and 2015 the Brazilians are working hard. We spread the idea (Wikimania 2015 Rio) in all Wikimania 2011 =p

_____________________
ateusNobre
MetalBrasil on Wikimedia projects
(+55) 85 88393509
              30440865

> Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 13:57:14 +0100

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Wikimania-l] <-- WikiDragon alert
>
> On 23 October 2011 13:36, Mateus Nobre <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > And about U.K., I chat wih Rich Farmbrough a lot in the bus to Jerusalem,
> > leaving Haifa, and he told me about the plans for Wikimania U.K. 2013. He's
> > thinking about Oxford and Liverpool.
> > It's clear that U.K. easily can hold a Wikimania =p
>
> There has been a lot of discussion in the UK about bidding for
> Wikimania, but nothing substantial has happened yet. It will probably
> be 2014, rather than 2013.

Re: <-- WikiDragon alert

Manuel Schneider-3
I'll support Kenya if they really go for it.

I am subscribed to the WMKE mailinglist but didn't notice a mention of
any Wikimania plannings. Also I am unsure, given the amount of
ressources needed that Wikimedia Kenya could make a bit so soon. Anyhow,
as stated above, they have my support if they go for it.

/Manuel

On 23.10.2011 14:36, Mateus Nobre wrote:

> hahah Manuel,
> But U.K. and Kenya haven't made yet the bid, But I think they'll be hard
> to match candidates.
>
> Wikimedia Kenya will make a splendid bid, don't doubt it. I talk to
> these guys from Kenya every week and I see them are really focusing on
> it. Kenya, btw, have great facilities for international conferences
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenyatta_International_Conference_Centrehttp://>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenyatta_International_Conference_Centre
> some people consider the best place in Africa to make large conferences.
>
> I talked to them (Alex Wafula and Kosgei Kips Isaac from Wikimedia Kenya
> - know them at Wikimania 2011), they are just preparing some details to
> make the bid.
>
> And about U.K., I chat wih Rich Farmbrough a lot in the bus to
> Jerusalem, leaving Haifa, and he told me about the plans for Wikimania
> U.K. 2013. He's thinking about Oxford and Liverpool.
> It's clear that U.K. easily can hold a Wikimania =p
> _____________________
> MateusNobre
> /MetalBrasil on Wikimedia projects
> (+55) 85 88393509
>               30440865
> /
>
>> Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 10:06:22 +0200
>> From: [hidden email]
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: Re: [Wikimania-l] <-- WikiDragon alert
>>
>> Am 23.10.2011 00:12, schrieb Orsolya Gyenes:
>> > I heard about France and India in Haifa.
>>
>> just look here:
>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2013/Bids#Unofficial_bids
>>
>> If you also have a look into the bid pages you easily get a picture
>> which bid is more seroius than others.
>>

>> /Manuel
>> --
>> Regards
>> Manuel Schneider
>>
>> Wikimedia CH - Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens
>> Wikimedia CH - Association for the advancement of free knowledge
>> www.wikimedia.ch

Regards
Manuel Schneider

www.wikimedia.ch

Re: <-- WikiDragon alert

Alex Wafula
Hey Mateus,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Though I don't see a 2013 bid for Kenya happening!

There's been talk of this even before Wikimania Israel back when Ting Chen visited Kenya, in Haifa as well as locally. However opinion of WMKE members has been to use the coming year to focus on growth of the chapter (ie after it's registration) through various projects, this being one of them (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/HIV-AIDS_project) among others.

But we definitely are looking forward to a Wikimania Kenya sometime later.

Alex.