m5 (Wikitech) primary database master switchover

m5 (Wikitech) primary database master switchover

Manuel Arostegui
Hello,

We are going to switchover m5 (wikitech) primary database master on *Tuesday
3rd September at 13:00 UTC *https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T229657
This switchover will also affect some Cloud services that will be handled
on a different announcement.

The current master (db1073) is an old and out of warranty hosts with
several disks on predictive failure, it needs to be decommissioned.
We will be failing over db1073 to db1133, a newer and more powerful host.

We expect this to take around 15 minutes (or just a few seconds if
everything goes fine).
*Impact: *
*- Writes will be blocked during the switchover*
*- Reads will remain unaffected.*

Communication will happen on #wikimedia-operations IRC channel.

Thanks
Manuel.

Re: m5 (Wikitech) primary database master switchover

Manuel Arostegui
Hello

This will happen in 55 minutes.
Thanks

Manuel.

On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 8:30 AM Manuel Arostegui <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are going to switchover m5 (wikitech) primary database master on *Tuesday
> 3rd September at 13:00 UTC *https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T229657
> This switchover will also affect some Cloud services that will be handled
> on a different announcement.
>
> The current master (db1073) is an old and out of warranty hosts with
> several disks on predictive failure, it needs to be decommissioned.
> We will be failing over db1073 to db1133, a newer and more powerful host.
>
> We expect this to take around 15 minutes (or just a few seconds if
> everything goes fine).
> *Impact: *
> *- Writes will be blocked during the switchover*
> *- Reads will remain unaffected.*
>
> Communication will happen on #wikimedia-operations IRC channel.
>
> Thanks
> Manuel.

Re: m5 (Wikitech) primary database master switchover

Manuel Arostegui
This was done successfully.

wikitech read only start: 13:08:40
wikitech read only stop: 13:10:01