mobile website

John Mark Vandenberg
Why is the mobile site operational for English Wikipedia?

--
John Vandenberg

Re: mobile website

Benjamin Chen-2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:SOPA_initiative/Learn_more
It says,

The Wikipedia community, as part of their request to the Wikimedia Foundation to carry out this protest, asked us to ensure that we make English Wikipedia accessible in some way during an emergency. The English Wikipedia will be accessible on mobile devices and smart phones.

Best regards,
Benjamin Chen / User:Bencmq

On Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 4:26 PM, John Vandenberg wrote:

> Why is the mobile site operational for English Wikipedia?
>
> --
> John Vandenberg

Re: mobile website

On 18 January 2012 08:26, John Vandenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Why is the mobile site operational for English Wikipedia?

The herd of cats wanted it that way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:SOPA_initiative/Action

"Provisions for emergency access to the site should be included in the
blackout software."

(I'm not convinced Wikipedia access counts as an "emergency". But it's
not really a secure-hard blackout.)

- d.

- d.

Re: mobile website

John Mark Vandenberg
the emergency access should be at a different location.

mobile users should not be privileged.

--
John Vandenberg

Re: mobile website

David Gerard-2
On 18 January 2012 08:58, John Vandenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> the emergency access should be at a different location.
> mobile users should not be privileged.

Yeah, I thought it was a bit silly too. But I think we can live with it.

- d.

Re: mobile website

Huib Laurens
So lets say that Wikipedia doesn't have a active anti vandal crew today,
but people can still edit within the English Wikipedia by mobile phone.

So we will find in a year all kind of vandal edits done today?

Re: mobile website

Gheorghe Zugravu
bringing my 5 cents: think that mobile users are not the one privileged
here, since anyone can surf on m.wp. Guess that limited usability of
m.wp compensate 100% lack of normanl WP. (following my friends post on
WP this morning - everyone feels disturbed by this, and I am not from an
english speaking country, as you can see here [1], online dictionary is
solidar with WP)

[1] http://dexonline.ro/

all the best,
/gheorghe

On 18.01.2012 10:58, John Vandenberg wrote:

> the emergency access should be at a different location.
>
> mobile users should not be privileged.
>
> --
> John Vandenberg

Re: mobile website

On 18 January 2012 09:05, Huib Laurens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So lets say that Wikipedia doesn't have a active anti vandal crew today,
> but people can still edit within the English Wikipedia by mobile phone.
> So we will find in a year all kind of vandal edits done today?

Only bots (I think) and some WMF people can edit en:wp today.

This could be the first time in *years* that Special:Recentchanges has
been readable:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:RecentChanges

- d.

Re: mobile website

Erik Moeller-4
On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 1:09 AM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Only bots (I think) and some WMF people can edit en:wp today.

Stewards and staff. No bots.
--
Erik Möller

Re: mobile website

Yaroslav M. Blanter
On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 11:07:42 +0200, Zugravu Gheorghe
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> bringing my 5 cents: think that mobile users are not the one privileged
> here, since anyone can surf on m.wp. Guess that limited usability of
> m.wp compensate 100% lack of normanl WP. (following my friends post on
> WP this morning - everyone feels disturbed by this, and I am not from an
> english speaking country, as you can see here [1], online dictionary is
> solidar with WP)
>
> [1] http://dexonline.ro/
>
> all the best,
> /gheorghe

I second that. Also wanted to write a post like this.

Cheers
Yaroslav