museums that donate pictures to Wikimedia or Flickr Commons

museums that donate pictures to Wikimedia or Flickr Commons

David Monniaux-2
For the purpose of meeting officials and attempting to convince them to
donate pictures to Flickr Commons or Wikimedia Commons, I'd need
statistics about museums that already do so.

Do we have that available somewhere? (Numbers of pictures, how they are
used on various project, how prevalent they are and so on.)

Re: museums that donate pictures to Wikimedia or Flickr Commons

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
Actually we do not have the numbers you ask for... We do not have the statistics yet to make our GLAM friends happy. At this moment the data that does exists, does not exist in one place and sometimes, like today we are happily surprised because of the announcement of new data coming online.

The questions you ask are valid ones and there is a need for such data.. We just do not have it at this time.
Thanks,
       GerardM

2009/11/7 David Monniaux <[hidden email]>
For the purpose of meeting officials and attempting to convince them to
donate pictures to Flickr Commons or Wikimedia Commons, I'd need
statistics about museums that already do so.

Do we have that available somewhere? (Numbers of pictures, how they are
used on various project, how prevalent they are and so on.)

Re: museums that donate pictures to Wikimedia or Flickr Commons

Brianna Laugher
2009/11/8 David Monniaux <[hidden email]>:
> For the purpose of meeting officials and attempting to convince them to
> donate pictures to Flickr Commons or Wikimedia Commons, I'd need
> statistics about museums that already do so.
>
> Do we have that available somewhere? (Numbers of pictures, how they are
> used on various project, how prevalent they are and so on.)

There are some incomplete pages for Wikimedia Commons at
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Commons_partnerships

http://www.indicommons.org/ seems to be a blog for Flickr Commons. I
doubt you will find anything comprehensive there, but individual
institutions may blog about their experience. e.g.
http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/dmsblog/index.php/2008/05/06/commons-on-flickr-one-month-later/
http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/dmsblog/index.php/2009/10/06/augmented-reality-and-the-powerhouse-images-in-the-commons-or-interesting-things-clever-people-do-with-yout-data-7215/

cheers
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/

Re: museums that donate pictures to Wikimedia or Flickr Commons

Mike Peel
I've been putting together some pages on content partnerships so that
I can point UK collections towards the information:

http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Cultural_partnerships/Content_partnerships

I'm adding information as I find it to that page; if you know of
anything I've missed, please let me know. Statistics of how well used
the images are would be incredibly useful...

Mike