new install - problems with stylesheets not being used? Look it not what was expected.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

new install - problems with stylesheets not being used? Look it not what was expected.

sshapiro
Hello,
We've just installed mediawiki.

New Redhat  2.4.21-4.ELsmp (application server 3). mediawiki-1.5.6. All
the requisites were installed using xammp 1.5.1. All installed fine.
Ran the wiki config, ran fine except the initial image didn't show (hmm).

But when going to the main wiki page
(http://...blah..../wiki/index.php/Main_Page), it works, but is a very
plain page. Nothing at all like the wikipedia page or what was expected.

The apache logs how no errors, but it is almost as though the style sheets
weren't being used. xammp left ownerships a bit fuzzy, so I changed
ownerships of htdocs and cgi-bin to apache:apache, but left all files
world-readable.  Switched back and forth from php5 and php4 - no
difference.

Should the page be not plain? Any thoughts? Do I need to give more info?
Thanks!

/ Sid /
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new install - problems with stylesheets not being used? Look it not what was expected.

Brion Vibber
[hidden email] wrote:
> The apache logs how no errors, but it is almost as though the style sheets
> weren't being used. xammp left ownerships a bit fuzzy, so I changed
> ownerships of htdocs and cgi-bin to apache:apache, but left all files
> world-readable.  Switched back and forth from php5 and php4 - no
> difference.

1) Are you using Mozilla or Firefox?
2) Have you checked that the .css files are returned with text/css as the
Content-Type?
3) If not, fix the Apache configuration.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)


_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l

signature.asc (257 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new install - problems with stylesheets not being used? Look it not what was expected.

sshapiro
> 1) Are you using Mozilla or Firefox?
firefox, ie, opera

> 2) Have you checked that the .css files are returned with text/css as
the Content-Type?

Good question. I wonder how I would know, but let me tell you something
else we discovered....
>From a browser if I loko directly at a css file, say quickbar.css - I see
the text - I can even point to the file and right-click and save it and
get a copy. If I do the same with common.css I get nothing, also I can't
save it. The ownerships and permissions are exactly the same.


> 3) If not, fix the Apache configuration.

There apperas to be something funky going on with apache, but it is pretty
strange.


/ Sid

[hidden email] wrote on 02/22/2006 03:10:34 PM:

> [hidden email] wrote:
> > The apache logs how no errors, but it is almost as though the style
sheets
> > weren't being used. xammp left ownerships a bit fuzzy, so I changed
> > ownerships of htdocs and cgi-bin to apache:apache, but left all files
> > world-readable.  Switched back and forth from php5 and php4 - no
> > difference.
>
> 1) Are you using Mozilla or Firefox?
> 2) Have you checked that the .css files are returned with text/css as
the

> Content-Type?
> 3) If not, fix the Apache configuration.
>
> -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
>
> [attachment "signature.asc" deleted by Sid Shapiro/Hercules/US/BIO-
> RAD] _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new install - problems with stylesheets not being used? Look it not what was expected.

Jay Ashworth-2
On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 03:44:19PM -0800, [hidden email] wrote:
> Good question. I wonder how I would know, but let me tell you something
> else we discovered....

The Web Developer Extension for FireFox, or wget -(I think)S

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [hidden email]
Designer                          Baylink                             RFC 2100
Ashworth & Associates        The Things I Think                        '87 e24
St Petersburg FL USA      http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

        A: No.
        Q: Should I include quotations after my message body?
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new install - problems with stylesheets not being used? Lookit not what was expected.

sshapiro
Well, you know what - on a (somewhat) lark) I took the xammp distribution
for solaris, put it on a system and wiki came up perfectly the first time.
The whole thing took about 15 minutes, as oppsed to the multiple hours
trying to get redhat working.

The entire redhat saga was too frustrating - the path to getting wiki
running was 1 step forward, 2 steps back, and it happened several times.
I'm sure that the apache install was probably the problem, but frankly, I
had spent too much time on it in the first place.

Ah well - will probably stick with solaris for now.

Thanks for the help, though,
/ Sid /


[hidden email] wrote on 02/23/2006 08:49:24 AM:

> On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 03:44:19PM -0800, [hidden email] wrote:
> > Good question. I wonder how I would know, but let me tell you
something
> > else we discovered....
>
> The Web Developer Extension for FireFox, or wget -(I think)S
>
> Cheers,
> -- jra
> --
> Jay R. Ashworth [hidden email]
> Designer                          Baylink                            RFC
2100
> Ashworth & Associates        The Things I Think '87 e24
> St Petersburg FL USA      http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727
647 1274
>
>    A: No.
>    Q: Should I include quotations after my message body?
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
>
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l