new project proposal: Kunkelfruit Wiki

Sean Miller-3
Dear Wikimedia Foundation Volunteers,

I write to pitch you on a project which I'm convinced would be an ideal
complement to your existing initiatives.  Using MediaWiki, I've launched a
site called Kunkelfruit Wiki.  The purpose of the site is to provide a home
for collaborative articles about how popular products are made.  Here is the
website address:

http://www.scriblerus.net/kunkelfruit/

There are currently about 20 articles on the site, including ones on the
Nintendo Wii, Starbucks Latte, Perdue Chicken Breast, Lord of the Rings
movies, and contact lenses, among others.  Currently, Kunkelfruit Wiki is a
one man show-with the occasional contribution from freelance writers.  But I
am a third-year PhD student who must devote the bulk of my efforts to
finishing my thesis.  I firmly believe that the long-term success of
Kunkelfruit Wiki depends on the development of a core group of volunteer
editors and writers willing to research and publish articles to the site.
This kind of organizational development is clearly something at which the
Wikimedia Foundation excels.

My proposal: that the foundation take over the hosting and support of
Kunkelfruit Wiki as one of its projects.  I believe it merits serious
consideration, as it is something that would:

* serve as a forum for the further development of your volunteers'
research skills
* provide a valuable source of information about products for
consumers
* encourage more responsible production by companies

I'd be happy to speak with anyone in more detail about Kunkelfruit Wiki.
Please know that I am not particularly attached to the name.  But I am very
much interested in giving this project the best possible chance of success.
I believe that Wikimedia Foundation can greatly enhance this very realistic
possibility.

Regards,

Sean Miller

Re: new project proposal: Kunkelfruit Wiki

Hay (Husky)
Hello Sean,
i really like the idea of the website: knowing the details of 'how
things are made' of products we use everyday is something that is
definitely lacking in the information usually coming from  vendors or
companies.

However, i'm not quite sure if KunkelFruit is a Wikimedia project.
Maybe Wikia or another wiki-like host is a better place for such a
project? The topic seems to be quite specific while all the
Wikimedia-projects are usually about more 'general' topics
(encyclopedias, dictionaries, images, etc.)

Another suggestion: while there is still little content maybe it would
be an idea to think about double-licensing the content under a
Creative Commons BY or BY-SA license as well? That certainly makes
reproduction easier in non-digital media (i.e. print).

-- Hay / [[User:Husky]]

On 6/27/07, Sean Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Wikimedia Foundation Volunteers,
>

> I write to pitch you on a project which I'm convinced would be an ideal
> complement to your existing initiatives.  Using MediaWiki, I've launched a
> site called Kunkelfruit Wiki.  The purpose of the site is to provide a home
> for collaborative articles about how popular products are made.  Here is the
> website address:
>

> http://www.scriblerus.net/kunkelfruit/
>

> There are currently about 20 articles on the site, including ones on the
> Nintendo Wii, Starbucks Latte, Perdue Chicken Breast, Lord of the Rings
> movies, and contact lenses, among others.  Currently, Kunkelfruit Wiki is a
> one man show-with the occasional contribution from freelance writers.  But I
> am a third-year PhD student who must devote the bulk of my efforts to
> finishing my thesis.  I firmly believe that the long-term success of
> Kunkelfruit Wiki depends on the development of a core group of volunteer
> editors and writers willing to research and publish articles to the site.
> This kind of organizational development is clearly something at which the
> Wikimedia Foundation excels.
>

> My proposal: that the foundation take over the hosting and support of
> Kunkelfruit Wiki as one of its projects.  I believe it merits serious
> consideration, as it is something that would:
>

> *       serve as a forum for the further development of your volunteers'
> research skills
> *       provide a valuable source of information about products for
> consumers
> *       encourage more responsible production by companies
>

> I'd be happy to speak with anyone in more detail about Kunkelfruit Wiki.
> Please know that I am not particularly attached to the name.  But I am very
> much interested in giving this project the best possible chance of success.
> I believe that Wikimedia Foundation can greatly enhance this very realistic
> possibility.
>

> Regards,
>
> Sean Miller

Re: new project proposal: Kunkelfruit Wiki

George William Herbert
On 6/27/07, Husky <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Sean,
> i really like the idea of the website: knowing the details of 'how
> things are made' of products we use everyday is something that is
> definitely lacking in the information usually coming from  vendors or
> companies.
>
> However, i'm not quite sure if KunkelFruit is a Wikimedia project.
> Maybe Wikia or another wiki-like host is a better place for such a
> project? The topic seems to be quite specific while all the
> Wikimedia-projects are usually about more 'general' topics
> (encyclopedias, dictionaries, images, etc.)
>
> Another suggestion: while there is still little content maybe it would
> be an idea to think about double-licensing the content under a
> Creative Commons BY or BY-SA license as well? That certainly makes
> reproduction easier in non-digital media (i.e. print).
>
> -- Hay / [[User:Husky]]
>
> On 6/27/07, Sean Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Dear Wikimedia Foundation Volunteers,
> >

> > I write to pitch you on a project which I'm convinced would be an ideal
> > complement to your existing initiatives.  Using MediaWiki, I've launched a
> > site called Kunkelfruit Wiki.  The purpose of the site is to provide a home
> > for collaborative articles about how popular products are made.  Here is the
> > website address:
> >

> > http://www.scriblerus.net/kunkelfruit/
> >

> > There are currently about 20 articles on the site, including ones on the
> > Nintendo Wii, Starbucks Latte, Perdue Chicken Breast, Lord of the Rings
> > movies, and contact lenses, among others.  Currently, Kunkelfruit Wiki is a
> > one man show-with the occasional contribution from freelance writers.  But I
> > am a third-year PhD student who must devote the bulk of my efforts to
> > finishing my thesis.  I firmly believe that the long-term success of
> > Kunkelfruit Wiki depends on the development of a core group of volunteer
> > editors and writers willing to research and publish articles to the site.
> > This kind of organizational development is clearly something at which the
> > Wikimedia Foundation excels.
> >

> > My proposal: that the foundation take over the hosting and support of
> > Kunkelfruit Wiki as one of its projects.  I believe it merits serious
> > consideration, as it is something that would:
> >

> > *       serve as a forum for the further development of your volunteers'
> > research skills
> > *       provide a valuable source of information about products for
> > consumers
> > *       encourage more responsible production by companies
> >

> > I'd be happy to speak with anyone in more detail about Kunkelfruit Wiki.
> > Please know that I am not particularly attached to the name.  But I am very
> > much interested in giving this project the best possible chance of success.
> > I believe that Wikimedia Foundation can greatly enhance this very realistic
> > possibility.
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > Sean Miller

I think it's a different type of project, but not one we should
automatically reject because of that.

It's encyclopedic - rather than describing the objects or things
themselves, going instead into the process of how they're built / made
/ done.  That is an entirely educational information goal, less
reference-material-y but still entirely educational.  That the
foundation has previously focused practically more on encyclopedic /
reference-material-y things doesn't mean that we aren't interested in
more educational/informational things (Wikibooks, Wikiversity).

The current name isn't useful for a larger project, but the concept
and content might be.

--
-george william herbert