(no subject)

Tanji Akter

Re: (no subject)

Akhil Mulgaonker
This is a message to all Wikipedia and Wikimedia corporation personnel,
Wikipedia is declining. We need to do something to rejuvenate our project.
We need to remember our goal, to create a library of all human knowledge
and progress. Peoples view of the project is negative. Wikipedia has become
the butt of many jokes. We need to refocus. We need to have a massive PR
maneuver to change the public view of us. We need to put aside opinions,
beliefs, political, and language barriers and come together to achieve our
goal. This will lower vandalism.

On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 8:02 PM, Tanji Akter <[hidden email]>wrote:

*AKHIL MULGAONKER *

Re: (no subject)

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,

Sadly there are some naysayers .... there are also people who see things
improve.

Notable improvements happen here:

   - visual editor
   - wikipedia zero
   - wikidata

In my opinion they have the potential to change our way of work and our
reach.

Thanks,
      GerardM

On 25 October 2013 16:32, Akhil Mulgaonker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is a message to all Wikipedia and Wikimedia corporation personnel,
> Wikipedia is declining. We need to do something to rejuvenate our project.
> We need to remember our goal, to create a library of all human knowledge
> and progress. Peoples view of the project is negative. Wikipedia has become
> the butt of many jokes. We need to refocus. We need to have a massive PR
> maneuver to change the public view of us. We need to put aside opinions,
> beliefs, political, and language barriers and come together to achieve our
> goal. This will lower vandalism.
>

> On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 8:02 PM, Tanji Akter <[hidden email]
> >wrote:

> *AKHIL MULGAONKER *

Re: (no subject)

JP Béland
What about PR? What have been done in this regard?

Amqui
 On Oct 25, 2013 8:44 AM, "Gerard Meijssen" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hoi,
>
> Sadly there are some naysayers .... there are also people who see things
> improve.
>
> Notable improvements happen here:
>
>    - visual editor
>    - wikipedia zero
>    - wikidata
>
> In my opinion they have the potential to change our way of work and our
> reach.
>
> Thanks,
>       GerardM
>

> On 25 October 2013 16:32, Akhil Mulgaonker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > This is a message to all Wikipedia and Wikimedia corporation personnel,
> > Wikipedia is declining. We need to do something to rejuvenate our
> project.
> > We need to remember our goal, to create a library of all human knowledge
> > and progress. Peoples view of the project is negative. Wikipedia has
> become
> > the butt of many jokes. We need to refocus. We need to have a massive PR
> > maneuver to change the public view of us. We need to put aside opinions,
> > beliefs, political, and language barriers and come together to achieve
> our
> > goal. This will lower vandalism.
> >

> > On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 8:02 PM, Tanji Akter <[hidden email]
> > >wrote:

> > *AKHIL MULGAONKER *

Re: (no subject)

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,

This is what the BBC has to say ... today...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24662267
Gerard

On 25 October 2013 18:04, JP Béland <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What about PR? What have been done in this regard?
>
> Amqui
>  On Oct 25, 2013 8:44 AM, "Gerard Meijssen" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hoi,
> >
> > Sadly there are some naysayers .... there are also people who see things
> > improve.
> >
> > Notable improvements happen here:
> >
> >    - visual editor
> >    - wikipedia zero
> >    - wikidata
> >
> > In my opinion they have the potential to change our way of work and our
> > reach.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >       GerardM
> >

> > On 25 October 2013 16:32, Akhil Mulgaonker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > This is a message to all Wikipedia and Wikimedia corporation personnel,
> > > Wikipedia is declining. We need to do something to rejuvenate our
> > project.
> > > We need to remember our goal, to create a library of all human
> knowledge
> > > and progress. Peoples view of the project is negative. Wikipedia has
> > become
> > > the butt of many jokes. We need to refocus. We need to have a massive
> PR
> > > maneuver to change the public view of us. We need to put aside
> opinions,
> > > beliefs, political, and language barriers and come together to achieve
> > our
> > > goal. This will lower vandalism.
> > >

> > > On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 8:02 PM, Tanji Akter <[hidden email]

> > > --
> > > *AKHIL MULGAONKER *

Re: (no subject)

JP Béland
This is about Wikipedia Zero in particular, but what has been done by WMF's
PR section about Wikipedia in general and its image with the general public?

Amqui
 On Oct 25, 2013 10:36 AM, "Gerard Meijssen" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hoi,
>
> This is what the BBC has to say ... today...
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24662267
> Gerard
>

> On 25 October 2013 18:04, JP Béland <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > What about PR? What have been done in this regard?
> >
> > Amqui
> >  On Oct 25, 2013 8:44 AM, "Gerard Meijssen" <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hoi,
> > >
> > > Sadly there are some naysayers .... there are also people who see
> things
> > > improve.
> > >
> > > Notable improvements happen here:
> > >
> > >    - visual editor
> > >    - wikipedia zero
> > >    - wikidata
> > >
> > > In my opinion they have the potential to change our way of work and our
> > > reach.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >       GerardM

> personnel,
> > > project.
> > knowledge
> > > become
> > PR
> > opinions,
> achieve
> > > our

> [hidden email]

Re: (no subject)

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,

I mentioned three things ... When you are interested in if the Wikipedia
gets mentioned in the news.. look at the BBC again and look at what it has
to say. http://www.bbc.co.uk/search/news/?q=wikipedia I am not complaining.

I even go a step further, I mention the things that I think are positive
regularly on my blog. If anything there is so much that people can do that
will have a positive impact. At that I tend to move away from negative
encounters. Typically they are not worth it.
Thanks,
      GerardM

On 25 October 2013 18:51, JP Béland <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is about Wikipedia Zero in particular, but what has been done by WMF's
> PR section about Wikipedia in general and its image with the general
> public?
>
> Amqui
>  On Oct 25, 2013 10:36 AM, "Gerard Meijssen" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hoi,
> >
> > This is what the BBC has to say ... today...
> > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24662267
> > Gerard
> >

> > On 25 October 2013 18:04, JP Béland <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > What about PR? What have been done in this regard?
> > >
> > > Amqui

> > things

> our

> > personnel,
> > > knowledge
> has
> massive
> > > PR
> > > opinions,
> > achieve

> > [hidden email]

Re: (no subject)

John Jackson
The best response to complaints and criticism is PR is it?

How about correcting the faults people have gone to the trouble of
identifying for you, instead of trying to disguise them?

JJ

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 6:01 PM, Gerard Meijssen
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hoi,
>
> I mentioned three things ... When you are interested in if the Wikipedia
> gets mentioned in the news.. look at the BBC again and look at what it has
> to say. http://www.bbc.co.uk/search/news/?q=wikipedia I am not
> complaining.
>
> I even go a step further, I mention the things that I think are positive
> regularly on my blog. If anything there is so much that people can do that
> will have a positive impact. At that I tend to move away from negative
> encounters. Typically they are not worth it.
> Thanks,
>       GerardM
>

> On 25 October 2013 18:51, JP Béland <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > This is about Wikipedia Zero in particular, but what has been done by
> WMF's
> > PR section about Wikipedia in general and its image with the general
> > public?
> >
> > Amqui
> >  On Oct 25, 2013 10:36 AM, "Gerard Meijssen" <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hoi,
> > >
> > > This is what the BBC has to say ... today...
> > > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24662267
> > > Gerard

> [hidden email]

> > > things

> > our

> > > personnel,
> > has
> > massive
> > > achieve

> > > [hidden email]

Re: (no subject)

Nathan Awrich
On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 11:43 AM, John Jackson <[hidden email]>wrote:

> The best response to complaints and criticism is PR is it?
>
> How about correcting the faults people have gone to the trouble of
> identifying for you, instead of trying to disguise them?
>
> JJ

Um, I'm not sure someone who calls Wikimedians psychopaths and suggests
they should be fired from their jobs is qualified to comment about anything
Wikimedia-related, nor should anyone concern themselves with correcting any
faults you've pointed out.

Re: (no subject)

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,

The best response to complaints and criticism is for the people that
complain and criticise to be invited to be part of the solution. SOFIXIT is
the mantra that brought us a lot of good. YES, I find it important that
people are aware of the things that are dear to me. I blog about them and I
do not only blog about them. I do what I can to make a difference. I edit
in Wikidata on subjects that are relevant and do not get the attention they
deserve. I do invite people to work on fixes for templates that need fixing
in a Wikipedia and I do showcase why the Occitan Wikipedia is at the
forefront of getting our information out.

PR is important and makes a difference, people need to see that work is
done. People need to see that things progress. And really JJ you can make a
difference too when you know so well what work needs to be done. When you
think there is nothing that you can do, I am sure we can find something for
you that makes a difference in the things you care for. First thing is for
you to know what you care for and how much you want to involve yourself.
Thanks,
    GerardM

On 28 October 2013 16:43, John Jackson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The best response to complaints and criticism is PR is it?
>
> How about correcting the faults people have gone to the trouble of
> identifying for you, instead of trying to disguise them?
>
> JJ
>

> On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 6:01 PM, Gerard Meijssen
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> > Hoi,
> >
> > I mentioned three things ... When you are interested in if the Wikipedia
> > gets mentioned in the news.. look at the BBC again and look at what it
> has
> > to say. http://www.bbc.co.uk/search/news/?q=wikipedia I am not
> > complaining.
> >
> > I even go a step further, I mention the things that I think are positive
> > regularly on my blog. If anything there is so much that people can do
> that
> > will have a positive impact. At that I tend to move away from negative
> > encounters. Typically they are not worth it.
> > Thanks,
> >       GerardM
> >

> > On 25 October 2013 18:51, JP Béland <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > This is about Wikipedia Zero in particular, but what has been done by
> > WMF's
> > > PR section about Wikipedia in general and its image with the general
> > > public?
> > >
> > > Amqui
> > >  On Oct 25, 2013 10:36 AM, "Gerard Meijssen" <
> [hidden email]>

> > [hidden email]

> and
> > > our

> our
> Wikipedia
> > > has
> > > massive

Re: (no subject)

Akhil Mulgaonker
Pr is supposed to educate the world what wikipedia is all about.

On Monday, October 28, 2013, Gerard Meijssen wrote:

> Hoi,
>
> The best response to complaints and criticism is for the people that
> complain and criticise to be invited to be part of the solution. SOFIXIT is
> the mantra that brought us a lot of good. YES, I find it important that
> people are aware of the things that are dear to me. I blog about them and I
> do not only blog about them. I do what I can to make a difference. I edit
> in Wikidata on subjects that are relevant and do not get the attention they
> deserve. I do invite people to work on fixes for templates that need fixing
> in a Wikipedia and I do showcase why the Occitan Wikipedia is at the
> forefront of getting our information out.
>
> PR is important and makes a difference, people need to see that work is
> done. People need to see that things progress. And really JJ you can make a
> difference too when you know so well what work needs to be done. When you
> think there is nothing that you can do, I am sure we can find something for
> you that makes a difference in the things you care for. First thing is for
> you to know what you care for and how much you want to involve yourself.
> Thanks,
>     GerardM
>

> On 28 October 2013 16:43, John Jackson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > The best response to complaints and criticism is PR is it?
> >
> > How about correcting the faults people have gone to the trouble of
> > identifying for you, instead of trying to disguise them?
> >
> > JJ
> >

> > On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 6:01 PM, Gerard Meijssen
> > <[hidden email]>wrote:
> >
> > > Hoi,
> > >
> > > I mentioned three things ... When you are interested in if the
> Wikipedia
> > > gets mentioned in the news.. look at the BBC again and look at what it
> > has
> > > to say. http://www.bbc.co.uk/search/news/?q=wikipedia I am not
> > > complaining.
> > >
> > > I even go a step further, I mention the things that I think are
> positive
> > > regularly on my blog. If anything there is so much that people can do
> > that
> > > will have a positive impact. At that I tend to move away from negative
> > > encounters. Typically they are not worth it.
> > > Thanks,
> > >       GerardM

> > > WMF's

> > [hidden email]>

> > > [hidden email]

> see

> > and

> [hidden email]

> > our
> human

--
*AKHIL MULGAONKER *

Re: (no subject)

JP Béland
...or not about.

JP

2013/10/28 Akhil Mulgaonker <[hidden email]>

> Pr is supposed to educate the world what wikipedia is all about.
>
> On Monday, October 28, 2013, Gerard Meijssen wrote:
>
> > Hoi,
> >
> > The best response to complaints and criticism is for the people that
> > complain and criticise to be invited to be part of the solution. SOFIXIT
> is
> > the mantra that brought us a lot of good. YES, I find it important that
> > people are aware of the things that are dear to me. I blog about them
> and I
> > do not only blog about them. I do what I can to make a difference. I edit
> > in Wikidata on subjects that are relevant and do not get the attention
> they
> > deserve. I do invite people to work on fixes for templates that need
> fixing
> > in a Wikipedia and I do showcase why the Occitan Wikipedia is at the
> > forefront of getting our information out.
> >
> > PR is important and makes a difference, people need to see that work is
> > done. People need to see that things progress. And really JJ you can
> make a
> > difference too when you know so well what work needs to be done. When you
> > think there is nothing that you can do, I am sure we can find something
> for
> > you that makes a difference in the things you care for. First thing is
> for
> > you to know what you care for and how much you want to involve yourself.
> > Thanks,
> >     GerardM
> >

> > On 28 October 2013 16:43, John Jackson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > The best response to complaints and criticism is PR is it?
> > >
> > > How about correcting the faults people have gone to the trouble of
> > > identifying for you, instead of trying to disguise them?
> > >
> > > JJ

> > Wikipedia
> it
> > > has

> > positive
> > > that
> negative

> by
> general

> > > [hidden email]>

> > see

> work
> > > and

> > [hidden email]

> corporation
> rejuvenate
> > > our
> > human
>

> --
> *AKHIL MULGAONKER *

Re: (no subject)

John Jackson
Answering Nathan Awrich:

My blog reply:   http://bit.ly/HwaYsr

No-one on this list has shown that they understand the concept of the
possibility of Wikipedia actually doing anything wrong, nor of the concept
of responding to outside comments in any way other than spin.  If  someone
pointed out an obvious bad rust attack on your car, you'd never consider
any response other than painting over it.

And again, EVEN WHEN I'VE POINTED OUT THE PROBLEM, you STILL don't see
it.  ...Even
though it would be obvious beforehand to any civilised person that no
worthwhile organisation could treat criticisms from outside as always
irrelevant.

Didn't someone hail "democracy" as an asset of Wikipedia?  That would be
democracy of those INSIDE it then; outsiders don't count  and aren't worth
listening to - ever... whoever they are.

Awrich: attempting to grab the world's knowledge, then endorsing the
complete removal of obviously correct contributions made by a genuine and
qualified scientific researcher because of one or two Wiki-fiddlers
qualified with nothing but pretty stars, is a stupidly destructive act.  When
Putin does something that bad he looks cynically around to show people how
little he cares... but you don't seem even to notice you've done it.

And when a genuine misdemeanour is pointed out, IT'S THE CULPRIT WHO IS IN
THE WRONG NOT THE WHISTLEBLOWER.  Keep making that mistake with me and
you'll end up even more sore.

Wikipedia is using the clumsy culture, morals and intellect of a
kindergarten gang to degrade the world's knowledge and shackle its
growth.  Watching
this is like watching the Nazis march into Paris, or the barbarians burning
the library at Alexandria.  We've learned that the response to such actions
is not regret but attack.  If you ever learn anything, you're going to
learn to respect integrity and intellectuality.

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 3:45 AM, JP Béland <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ...or not about.
>
> JP
>

> 2013/10/28 Akhil Mulgaonker <[hidden email]>
>
> > Pr is supposed to educate the world what wikipedia is all about.
> >
> > On Monday, October 28, 2013, Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> >
> > > Hoi,
> > >
> > > The best response to complaints and criticism is for the people that
> > > complain and criticise to be invited to be part of the solution.
> SOFIXIT
> > is
> > > the mantra that brought us a lot of good. YES, I find it important that
> > > people are aware of the things that are dear to me. I blog about them
> > and I
> > > do not only blog about them. I do what I can to make a difference. I
> edit
> > > in Wikidata on subjects that are relevant and do not get the attention
> > they
> > > deserve. I do invite people to work on fixes for templates that need
> > fixing
> > > in a Wikipedia and I do showcase why the Occitan Wikipedia is at the
> > > forefront of getting our information out.
> > >
> > > PR is important and makes a difference, people need to see that work is
> > > done. People need to see that things progress. And really JJ you can
> > make a
> > > difference too when you know so well what work needs to be done. When
> you
> > > think there is nothing that you can do, I am sure we can find something
> > for
> > > you that makes a difference in the things you care for. First thing is
> > for
> > > you to know what you care for and how much you want to involve
> yourself.
> > > Thanks,
> > >     GerardM

> > > Wikipedia
> > it

> > > positive
> do
> > negative

> done
> > by
> > general

> who
> > > see

> > work

> > > [hidden email]

> > corporation
> > rejuvenate
> > > human
> >

> > --
> > *AKHIL MULGAONKER *

Re: (no subject)

I Love Plankton
Can't we all just get along?

On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 10:25 AM, John Jackson <[hidden email]>wrote:

> [...]
>

> And when a genuine misdemeanour is pointed out, IT'S THE CULPRIT WHO IS IN
> THE WRONG NOT THE WHISTLEBLOWER.  Keep making that mistake with me and
> you'll end up even more sore.
>

> Wikipedia is using the clumsy culture, morals and intellect of a
> kindergarten gang to degrade the world's knowledge and shackle its
> growth.  Watching
> this is like watching the Nazis march into Paris, or the barbarians burning
> the library at Alexandria.  We've learned that the response to such actions
> is not regret but attack.  If you ever learn anything, you're going to
> learn to respect integrity and intellectuality.
>

> On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 3:45 AM, JP Béland <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > ...or not about.
> >
> > JP
> >

> > 2013/10/28 Akhil Mulgaonker <[hidden email]>
> >
> > > Pr is supposed to educate the world what wikipedia is all about.

Re: (no subject)

Nathan Awrich
I liked the idea of dueling blog posts. Here's mine:
http://www.khmalye.com/2013/11/john-v-jackson-and-hazards-of-being.html

Topics are Jackson and his history with Wikipedia and pseudoscience,
harassment of Wikipedians and what, if anything, members of the Wikimedia
community can do to protect or support people who have been targeted by
harassment.

Re: (no subject)

Maury Markowitz
"Didn't someone hail "democracy" as an asset of Wikipedia?"

No. In fact, everywhere you'll turn you'll see statements that say the exact opposite. We have whole sections of the most basic documents outlining this. Like this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:DEM

"Wikipedia hates experts."

The Wiki is all about *love* not hate.

We even love the people that post links to their mail lists calling them all "wankers".

But you know what love even more?

We *really* love that the content in question mentioned in a reliable, reputable, 3rd party, non-self-published resource.

We *love* our citations.

And this is precisely why the Wiki *isn't* a democracy. It doesn't make a difference how many people "vote" for something, it's either properly cited, or its not.

Period.