(no subject)

Josephine Lim
Hi all,

I've been working on a project to improve the categorization of pictures in the Upload to Commons Android app <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T115101> as part of the Outreachy Dec '15 program, which is soon drawing to an end. To summarize, 3 new features have been implemented in this app:

1. If a picture with geolocation is uploaded, nearby category suggestions are offered (based on the categories of other Commons images with similar coordinates)

2. If a picture with no geolocation is uploaded, nearby category suggestions are offered based on the user's current location. This is optional and only works if enabled in Settings.

3. Category search (when typing in the search field) has been made more flexible, whereas previously this was done solely by prefix search. E.g. now searching for 'latte' should be able to return 'iced latte'.

The latest version of the app is v1.11 and can be downloaded at <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fr.free.nrw.commons>. Please feel free to leave feedback or bug reports at <https://github.com/nicolas-raoul/apps-android-commons/issues>.

I have had an amazing time working on this app as part of the Outreachy program, and I greatly appreciate all the support and help that the WMF community has given me. :)

Cheers!

Josephine

Re: (no subject)

Andrew Gray-3
Hi Josephine,

Looks really nice - congratulations! The autosuggested categories are
a nice touch.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Four_quinces.jpeg

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Embroidered_citation_needed_tag.jpeg

Thanks,

Andrew.

On 17 February 2016 at 05:43, Josephine Lim <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been working on a project to improve the categorization of pictures in
> the Upload to Commons Android app
> <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T115101> as part of the Outreachy Dec '15
> program, which is soon drawing to an end. To summarize, 3 new features have
> been implemented in this app:
>
> 1. If a picture with geolocation is uploaded, nearby category suggestions
> are offered (based on the categories of other Commons images with similar
> coordinates)
>
> 2. If a picture with no geolocation is uploaded, nearby category suggestions
> are offered based on the user's current location. This is optional and only
> works if enabled in Settings.
>
> 3. Category search (when typing in the search field) has been made more
> flexible, whereas previously this was done solely by prefix search. E.g. now
> searching for 'latte' should be able to return 'iced latte'.
>
> The latest version of the app is v1.11 and can be downloaded at
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fr.free.nrw.commons>. Please
> feel free to leave feedback or bug reports at
> <https://github.com/nicolas-raoul/apps-android-commons/issues>.
>
> I have had an amazing time working on this app as part of the Outreachy
> program, and I greatly appreciate all the support and help that the WMF
> community has given me. :)
>

> Cheers!
>

> --
>
> Regards,