nominated candidates

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
42 messages Options
123
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

nominated candidates

Andrew Turvey-2
Dear Election Committee,

I note that the following people have been listed as candidates whose nominations were received before the close:


        1. Tango
        2. Cfp
        3. Skenmy
        4. KTC
        5. Kate
        6. Mike Peel
        7. Cormaggio
        8. Warofdreams
        9. Andrew Turvey
        10. ScribblewikiLoverCan you please make a statement about what you intend to do regarding those candidates who have not signed the declaration (3 people) and those who have not stated their full name (3 people).

Thanks
 
Andrew



     

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: nominated candidates

Andrew Whitworth-2
On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 2:15 PM, Andrew Turvey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Election Committee,
>
> I note that the following people have been listed as candidates whose nominations were received before the close:
>
>
>        1. Tango
>        2. Cfp
>        3. Skenmy
>        4. KTC
>        5. Kate
>        6. Mike Peel
>        7. Cormaggio
>        8. Warofdreams
>        9. Andrew Turvey
>        10. ScribblewikiLoverCan you please make a statement about what you intend to do regarding those candidates who have not signed the declaration (3 people) and those who have not stated their full name (3 people).

Do we have any kind of indication as to who these usernames correspond
to? On the mailing list, for instance, most people use either
different nicknames or they use their real names. I would like, if
only for my personal use, some sort of list to correlate between the
two. In WMUK2.0, what is the policy on making public the real names of
board members?

--Andrew Whitworth

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: nominated candidates

Alison M. Wheeler
On Sun, September 14, 2008 19:20, Andrew Whitworth wrote:
> In WMUK2.0, what is the policy on making public the real names of
> board members?

I would anticipate it will be exactly the same as WMUKv1 and as the law
requires! Full name (and address and 'description') are required of all
Company Directors as a matter of company law and are on the permanent
public record.

Alison


_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: nominated candidates

Andrew Whitworth-2
On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 2:39 PM, Alison Wheeler
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, September 14, 2008 19:20, Andrew Whitworth wrote:
>> In WMUK2.0, what is the policy on making public the real names of
>> board members?
>
> I would anticipate it will be exactly the same as WMUKv1 and as the law
> requires! Full name (and address and 'description') are required of all
> Company Directors as a matter of company law and are on the permanent
> public record.
>
> Alison

I guess what my question really was is that people are most familiar
with the candidates from their discussion on the mailinglist,
discussion which is typically carried out under different names. For a
candidate to be evaluated honestly, they should be associated with
their on-list personas.

--Andrew Whitworth

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: nominated candidates

Andrew Turvey-2
In reply to this post by Andrew Turvey-2
The real name of all Trustees will be publically available from the Charity Commission website (see for instance http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/registeredcharities/showtrustees.asp?Chy=3960764&Reg=1080869&Type=Main+Charity&Name=NOTTINGHAM+AID+FOR+BOSNIA&SubID=) and from Companies House for payment of £1. Incidentally the latter will also show up your date of birth, residential address and other directorships. Wikimedia UK could, however, decide whether the wikimedia username corresponding to that individual is publically disclosed - it's currently asked as a "voluntary question".

After some cursory digging, only ScribblewikiLover's real name is not readily available.

In terms of the cross-tabulation, this is what I've come up with:

1. Tango (Thomas Michael Dalton per candidate questions) (I presume the same as "Thomas Dalton" from this list)
2. Cfp (Tom Holden per http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Cfp) (I presume Tom Holden
from this list)
3. Skenmy (Paul Roy Williams per candidate qs) (I presume Paul Williams
from this list)
4. KTC (Kwan Ting Chan per candidate statements) (I presume Kwan Ting Chan
from this list)
5. Kate (River Tarnell per candidate statements) (I presume River Tarnell
from this list)
6. Mike Peel (Mike Peel per http://mikepeel.net/site/Main_Page) (I presume Michael Peel from this list)
7. Cormaggio (Cormac Lawler per http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Cormaggio) *
8. Warofdreams (Michael Conn per candidate qs)
9. AndrewRT (Andrew Turvey per candidate qs) (Andrew Turvey from this list)
10. ScribblewikiLover (name not known) *

* indicates hasn't signed the declaration.

Numbers are only now 1 no-name and 2 no-declaration.
 
Andrew

----- Original Message ----

> From: Andrew Whitworth <[hidden email]>
> To: Andrew Turvey <[hidden email]>
> Cc: [hidden email]; [hidden email]; [hidden email]
> Sent: Sunday, 14 September, 2008 19:20:34
> Subject: Re: nominated candidates
>
> On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 2:15 PM, Andrew Turvey wrote:
> > Dear Election Committee,
> >
> > I note that the following people have been listed as candidates whose
> nominations were received before the close:
> >
> >
> >        1. Tango
> >        2. Cfp
> >        3. Skenmy
> >        4. KTC
> >        5. Kate
> >        6. Mike Peel
> >        7. Cormaggio
> >        8. Warofdreams
> >        9. Andrew Turvey
> >        10. ScribblewikiLoverCan you please make a statement about what you
> intend to do regarding those candidates who have not signed the declaration (3
> people) and those who have not stated their full name (3 people).
>
> Do we have any kind of indication as to who these usernames correspond
> to? On the mailing list, for instance, most people use either
> different nicknames or they use their real names. I would like, if
> only for my personal use, some sort of list to correlate between the
> two. In WMUK2.0, what is the policy on making public the real names of
> board members?
>
> --Andrew Whitworth



     

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: nominated candidates

Ross Gardler
Andrew Turvey wrote:
> After some cursory digging, only ScribblewikiLover's real name is not readily available.

Thank you for your digging.

I'd like to make a comment about the need for someone to do this. Before
doing so, please let me stress that I am speaking froma *purely personal
perspective* (i.e. I'm not suggesting others should necessarily follow
my lead on this). I make the comment for the benefit of potential board
members who may think my position is reasonable and therefore might want
to take action.

I am unlikley to vote in favour of someone who does not clearly identify
who they are (in real life) as I want to do some background checking on
individuals experience.

I am unlikely to vote in favour of someone who can't follow the simple
requirements placed on nominees in the wiki page.

I am unlikely to vote in favour of someone who has not provided a clear
statement as to why I should vote for them.

Ross

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: nominated candidates

Christopher Wood (Student)
In reply to this post by Andrew Turvey-2
I managed to get hold of User:ScribblewikiLover and get him to write on
his statement hopefully. Even though I probably wouldn't vote for
someone who hasn't even declared to the terms of being a candidate.

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: [hidden email]
[mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Ross
Gardler
Sent: 14 September 2008 20:41
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Wikimediauk-l] nominated candidates

Andrew Turvey wrote:
> After some cursory digging, only ScribblewikiLover's real name is not
readily available.

Thank you for your digging.

I'd like to make a comment about the need for someone to do this. Before

doing so, please let me stress that I am speaking froma *purely personal

perspective* (i.e. I'm not suggesting others should necessarily follow
my lead on this). I make the comment for the benefit of potential board
members who may think my position is reasonable and therefore might want

to take action.

I am unlikley to vote in favour of someone who does not clearly identify

who they are (in real life) as I want to do some background checking on
individuals experience.

I am unlikely to vote in favour of someone who can't follow the simple
requirements placed on nominees in the wiki page.

I am unlikely to vote in favour of someone who has not provided a clear
statement as to why I should vote for them.

Ross

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: nominated candidates

Ian A. Holton
Just a quick question: who actually gets to vote?

Ian

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 8:01 PM, Christopher Wood (Student) <[hidden email]> wrote:
I managed to get hold of User:ScribblewikiLover and get him to write on
his statement hopefully. Even though I probably wouldn't vote for
someone who hasn't even declared to the terms of being a candidate.

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: [hidden email]
[mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Ross
Gardler
Sent: 14 September 2008 20:41
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Wikimediauk-l] nominated candidates

Andrew Turvey wrote:
> After some cursory digging, only ScribblewikiLover's real name is not
readily available.

Thank you for your digging.

I'd like to make a comment about the need for someone to do this. Before

doing so, please let me stress that I am speaking froma *purely personal

perspective* (i.e. I'm not suggesting others should necessarily follow
my lead on this). I make the comment for the benefit of potential board
members who may think my position is reasonable and therefore might want

to take action.

I am unlikley to vote in favour of someone who does not clearly identify

who they are (in real life) as I want to do some background checking on
individuals experience.

I am unlikely to vote in favour of someone who can't follow the simple
requirements placed on nominees in the wiki page.

I am unlikely to vote in favour of someone who has not provided a clear
statement as to why I should vote for them.

Ross

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l


_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: nominated candidates

Thomas Dalton
2008/9/15 Ian A. Holton <[hidden email]>:
> Just a quick question: who actually gets to vote?

The plan is to allow pretty much anyone that wants to to vote. The
election committee will give us the details soon, I imagine, but
anyone can add themselves as a potential member and there's no reason
not to allow all potential members to vote, so that means anyone can
vote. The only thing to be decided, I think, is whether or not to
impose a deadline on adding yourself to the membership list prior to
the election. I see little point in that myself, but it may make
things simpler for the committee.

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: nominated candidates

Cormac Lawler
In reply to this post by Andrew Turvey-2

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 7:15 PM, Andrew Turvey <[hidden email]> wrote:
Can you please make a statement about what you intend to do regarding those candidates who have not signed the declaration (3 people) and those who have not stated their full name (3 people).


I've just now removed myself from the candidate list. I'm afraid I've been too busy recently with project stuff to pay enough attention to this mailing list or the meta pages - and I'm not sure how much time I can commit over the coming year, with the writing of my PhD and various other commitments. However, I've always been supportive of a UK chapter, and will continue to do work on/with it when it gets up and running.

All the best with it!

Cormac

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: nominated candidates

Owen Blacker
For the sake of clarity, I removed myself from the list of candidates over the weekend, for similar reasons (I'm User:OwenBlacker, as I'm sure you are all capable of guessing).

Like Cormac, I am still supportive of WMUKv2 and would definitely seek to become a supporter member; I might be interested in joining the WMUKv2 board at a later opportunity, but can't really devote the time at the moment.


Owen

2008/9/15 Cormac Lawler <[hidden email]>

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 7:15 PM, Andrew Turvey <[hidden email]> wrote:
Can you please make a statement about what you intend to do regarding those candidates who have not signed the declaration (3 people) and those who have not stated their full name (3 people).


I've just now removed myself from the candidate list. I'm afraid I've been too busy recently with project stuff to pay enough attention to this mailing list or the meta pages - and I'm not sure how much time I can commit over the coming year, with the writing of my PhD and various other commitments. However, I've always been supportive of a UK chapter, and will continue to do work on/with it when it gets up and running.

All the best with it!

Cormac

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l



_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: nominated candidates

Andrew Turvey-2
In reply to this post by Andrew Turvey-2
Last Sunday I wrote to the elections committee asking them what they intended to do about people who had
put themselves forward as candidates but had not either signed the declaration or provided their full name. The
community consensus appears to be that candidates have to do both or they are disqualified from the election,
but I presumed the elections committee would be the appropriate body to decide specifics. I have had no reply.

Since then everyone who has put themselves forward has either provided the details or withdrawn apart from
one person - ScribblewikiLover - who has still not provided his full name.

Voting is due to start very soon. It is unacceptable to start an election without knowing who the candidates are.
I had hoped that the election committee would resolve this question with a clear decision one way or the other
but all we have had from them is a resounding silence - they seem either unwilling or unable to make any
decisions like this. I think it falls to the community to decide in their absence.

I suggest one of two avenues:
- either we agree that s/he hasn't answered the question (which according to the timetable s/he should have
done by 13 September) and is therefore disqualified
- or we say he must answer the question by 20 September or he will be disqualified.

What do others think?

Andrew


_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: nominated candidates

Thomas Dalton
> Since then everyone who has put themselves forward has either provided the
> details or withdrawn apart from
> one person - ScribblewikiLover - who has still not provided his full name.

Did we actually require people to reveal their names at this stage? If
elected, it's certainly necessary, but I'm not sure it is necessary at
this stage.

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: nominated candidates

Katie Chan
On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 22:39 +0100, Thomas Dalton wrote:
> > Since then everyone who has put themselves forward has either provided the
> > details or withdrawn apart from
> > one person - ScribblewikiLover - who has still not provided his full name.
>
> Did we actually require people to reveal their names at this stage? If
> elected, it's certainly necessary, but I'm not sure it is necessary at
> this stage.

You can look at it both ways I guess. It was stated as a mandatory
question.

KTC

--
Experience is a good school but the fees are high.
  - Heinrich Heine

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: nominated candidates

geni
2008/9/18 Kwan Ting Chan <[hidden email]>:

> On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 22:39 +0100, Thomas Dalton wrote:
>> > Since then everyone who has put themselves forward has either provided the
>> > details or withdrawn apart from
>> > one person - ScribblewikiLover - who has still not provided his full name.
>>
>> Did we actually require people to reveal their names at this stage? If
>> elected, it's certainly necessary, but I'm not sure it is necessary at
>> this stage.
>
> You can look at it both ways I guess. It was stated as a mandatory
> question.
>
> KTC

They agree to give names if elected or they will be pulled when the
election starts.

--
geni

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: nominated candidates

Alison M. Wheeler
In reply to this post by Thomas Dalton
On Thu, September 18, 2008 22:39, Thomas Dalton wrote:
> Did we actually require people to reveal their names at this stage? If
> elected, it's certainly necessary, but I'm not sure it is necessary at
> this stage.

Take a step back here and look at what you are trying to find.

You are selecting people to *run a company*. A registered business which
is going to have serious legal consequences both for the individuals
concerned and for Wikimedia in the UK.

If someone doesn't provide their bona fides now how can you find out what
experience and skills they presently have? Whoever gets involved is going
to need to have more than a little common sense and preferably some
experience with company law, accountancy, and business-to-business
relationships. If they won't say who they are then what is the point of
even putting them on a ballot paper!

Alison


_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: nominated candidates

Ross Gardler
Alison Wheeler wrote:

> On Thu, September 18, 2008 22:39, Thomas Dalton wrote:
>> Did we actually require people to reveal their names at this stage? If
>> elected, it's certainly necessary, but I'm not sure it is necessary at
>> this stage.
>
> Take a step back here and look at what you are trying to find.
>
> You are selecting people to *run a company*. A registered business which
> is going to have serious legal consequences both for the individuals
> concerned and for Wikimedia in the UK.
>
> If someone doesn't provide their bona fides now how can you find out what
> experience and skills they presently have? Whoever gets involved is going
> to need to have more than a little common sense and preferably some
> experience with company law, accountancy, and business-to-business
> relationships. If they won't say who they are then what is the point of
> even putting them on a ballot paper!

Exactly!

Ross

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: nominated candidates

Thomas Dalton
In reply to this post by Alison M. Wheeler
2008/9/18 Alison Wheeler <[hidden email]>:

> On Thu, September 18, 2008 22:39, Thomas Dalton wrote:
>> Did we actually require people to reveal their names at this stage? If
>> elected, it's certainly necessary, but I'm not sure it is necessary at
>> this stage.
>
> Take a step back here and look at what you are trying to find.
>
> You are selecting people to *run a company*. A registered business which
> is going to have serious legal consequences both for the individuals
> concerned and for Wikimedia in the UK.
>
> If someone doesn't provide their bona fides now how can you find out what
> experience and skills they presently have? Whoever gets involved is going
> to need to have more than a little common sense and preferably some
> experience with company law, accountancy, and business-to-business
> relationships. If they won't say who they are then what is the point of
> even putting them on a ballot paper!

At this stage I'm trusting people to be honest about their skills and
experience, so I don't need to know their names. It's pretty much
impossible to verify someone's experience with just their name,
anyway, do you want candidates to supply complete CVs with references?

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: nominated candidates

geni
In reply to this post by Alison M. Wheeler
2008/9/18 Alison Wheeler <[hidden email]>:

> On Thu, September 18, 2008 22:39, Thomas Dalton wrote:
>> Did we actually require people to reveal their names at this stage? If
>> elected, it's certainly necessary, but I'm not sure it is necessary at
>> this stage.
>
> Take a step back here and look at what you are trying to find.
>
> You are selecting people to *run a company*. A registered business which
> is going to have serious legal consequences both for the individuals
> concerned and for Wikimedia in the UK.
>
> If someone doesn't provide their bona fides now how can you find out what
> experience and skills they presently have? Whoever gets involved is going
> to need to have more than a little common sense and preferably some
> experience with company law, accountancy, and business-to-business
> relationships. If they won't say who they are then what is the point of
> even putting them on a ballot paper!
>
> Alison

I tend towards initial inclusivety then dropping people latter. But if
people feel that names should be a requirement for running that is not
a problem.

Current skeleton for the voting system can be found at:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK_v2.0/Vote


--
geni

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: nominated candidates

Katie Chan
On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 23:12 +0100, geni wrote:

>
> I tend towards initial inclusivety then dropping people latter. But if
> people feel that names should be a requirement for running that is not
> a problem.
>
> Current skeleton for the voting system can be found at:
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK_v2.0/Vote
>

As Alison stated, the election is for (what will be) a position on the
board of a legally registered company. If this were an election held
after the forming of the company, then a candidate legal name would be
required information before the election, so it's good practice to do
that now as well.

However, since I've already stated my personal position on this
particular candidate, I'll shut up now.

KTC

--
Experience is a good school but the fees are high.
  - Heinrich Heine

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
123