[nominations needed] Wikimedia Technical Conference

[nominations needed] Wikimedia Technical Conference

Deb Tankersley
*Hello,We recently announced the new Wikimedia Technical Conference
(TechConf) during the closing session of the Barcelona Hackathon on May 20,
2018. We are sending this email to give an update on the planning and
organization, and to also let everyone know how the nomination process will
work for those interested in attending. The Wikimedia Technical Conference
will take place in Portland, OR, USA on October 22-25, 2018. And, as
mentioned in previous emails [1][2] and on the wiki page [3], this
conference will be focused on the cross-departmental program called
Platform Evolution. We will be providing more information and context as we
go along in the process.For this conference, we are looking for diverse
stakeholders, perspectives, and experiences that will help us to make
informed decisions for the future evolution of the platform. We need people
who can create and architect solutions, as well as those who actually make
decisions on funding and prioritization for the projects.Later this week,
we will send out a form to provide more detailed information on the
nomination process and how to nominate people (or it can be yourself) to
attend this conference, along with the skills, experiences, and/or
backgrounds that we are looking for. Due to the time needed for visa
application and other constraints, the deadline for nominations will be
June 8th. Please make sure that you don’t miss the deadline!If you have any
questions, please post them on the talk page [4][1]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/mediawiki-l/2018-April/047367.html
<https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/mediawiki-l/2018-April/047367.html>
[2] https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2018-April/089738.html
<https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2018-April/089738.html>
[3] https://mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Technical_Conference/2018
<https://mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Technical_Conference/2018> [4]
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Technical_Conference/2018
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Technical_Conference/2018> *

*Cheers from the Program Committee:*
*Kate, Corey, Joaquin, Greg, Birgit and TheDJ*

--

deb tankersley

Program Manager, Engineering

Re: [nominations needed] Wikimedia Technical Conference

Rachel Farrand
Hello!

As per the email below we are now opening up the nomination process for the
Wikimedia Technical Conference (WMTechConf), to be held in Portland, OR,
USA on October 22-25, 2018.

*Please fill out the survey using this link to nominate yourself or someone
else to attend: *https://goo.gl/forms/MKF682BE1OVI0pe63 This nomination
form will remain open between June 1 and June 14, 2018.

This survey is conducted via a third-party service, which may make it
subject to additional terms. For more information on privacy and
data-handling, see this survey privacy statement: https://
wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Technical_Conference_Survey_Privacy_
Statement

*If you have any questions, please post them on the event's talk page
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Technical_Conference/2018>. *
Thanks!

The Wikimedia Technical Conference Team

On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 3:47 PM, Deborah Tankersley <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> *Hello,We recently announced the new Wikimedia Technical Conference
> (TechConf) during the closing session of the Barcelona Hackathon on May 20,
> 2018. We are sending this email to give an update on the planning and
> organization, and to also let everyone know how the nomination process will
> work for those interested in attending. The Wikimedia Technical Conference
> will take place in Portland, OR, USA on October 22-25, 2018. And, as
> mentioned in previous emails [1][2] and on the wiki page [3], this
> conference will be focused on the cross-departmental program called
> Platform Evolution. We will be providing more information and context as we
> go along in the process.For this conference, we are looking for diverse
> stakeholders, perspectives, and experiences that will help us to make
> informed decisions for the future evolution of the platform. We need people
> who can create and architect solutions, as well as those who actually make
> decisions on funding and prioritization for the projects.Later this week,
> we will send out a form to provide more detailed information on the
> nomination process and how to nominate people (or it can be yourself) to
> attend this conference, along with the skills, experiences, and/or
> backgrounds that we are looking for. Due to the time needed for visa
> application and other constraints, the deadline for nominations will be
> June 8th. Please make sure that you don’t miss the deadline!If you have any
> questions, please post them on the talk page [4][1]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/mediawiki-l/2018-April/047367.html
> <https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/mediawiki-l/2018-April/047367.html>
> [2] https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2018-
> April/089738.html
> <https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2018-April/089738.html>
> [3] https://mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Technical_Conference/2018
> <https://mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Technical_Conference/2018> [4]
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Technical_Conference/2018
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Technical_Conference/2018>
> *
>
> *Cheers from the Program Committee:*
> *Kate, Corey, Joaquin, Greg, Birgit and TheDJ*
>
> --
>
> deb tankersley
>
> Program Manager, Engineering
>
> Wikimedia Foundation

Rachel Farrand
Events Program Manager
Technical Collaboration Team

Re: [nominations needed] Wikimedia Technical Conference

Brian Wolff
The survey cannot be opened (gives a permission error. Presumably its only
working if you are logged in to a WMF google account)

Additionally, I wish there was more information about what basis we are
supposed to be nominating people on. Its not even clear under what category
of person we are nominating people for (people with skills (what type of
skills?) who are going to be "selected by the comittee" or are we
nominating for the 17 volunteers? (What type of volunteers? Wikipedians
(aka users)? Volunteer devs? How do third parties fit into that?)

--
Brian

On Friday, June 1, 2018, Rachel Farrand <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> April/089738.html
>> <https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2018-April/089738.html>
>> [3] https://mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Technical_Conference/2018
>> <https://mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Technical_Conference/2018> [4]
>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Technical_Conference/2018
>> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Technical_Conference/2018>
>> *
>>
>> *Cheers from the Program Committee:*
>> *Kate, Corey, Joaquin, Greg, Birgit and TheDJ*
>>
>> --
>>
>> deb tankersley
>>
>> Program Manager, Engineering
>>
>> Wikimedia Foundation

> Rachel Farrand
> Events Program Manager
> Technical Collaboration Team
> Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [nominations needed] Wikimedia Technical Conference

Amir E. Aharoni
The FAQ answers some of these questions, though not all:

https://m.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Technical_Conference/2018/FAQ

בתאריך יום ו׳, 1 ביוני 2018, 19:58, מאת Brian Wolff ‏<[hidden email]>:

> [...]
> >> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Technical_Conference/2018
> >> <
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Technical_Conference/2018>
> >> *
> >>
> >> *Cheers from the Program Committee:*
> >> *Kate, Corey, Joaquin, Greg, Birgit and TheDJ*
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> deb tankersley
> >>
> >> Program Manager, Engineering
> >>
> >> Wikimedia Foundation

> > Rachel Farrand
> > Events Program Manager
> > Technical Collaboration Team
> > Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [nominations needed] Wikimedia Technical Conference

Rachel Farrand

> The survey cannot be opened (gives a permission error. Presumably its only
> working if you are logged in to a WMF google account)

Fixed!

Additionally, I wish there was more information about what basis we are
> supposed to be nominating people on. Its not even clear under what category
> of person we are nominating people for (people with skills (what type of
> skills?) who are going to be "selected by the comittee" or are we
> nominating for the 17 volunteers? (What type of volunteers? Wikipedians
> (aka users)? Volunteer devs? How do third parties fit into that?)

For any questions, the Program Committee
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Technical_Conference/2018#Program_Committee>
will be monitoring the talk page
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Technical_Conference/2018>!

On Fri, Jun 1, 2018 at 8:40 PM, Amir E. Aharoni <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > the
> > > Wikimedia Technical Conference (WMTechConf), to be held in Portland,
> OR,
> > > USA on October 22-25, 2018.
> > >
> > > *Please fill out the survey using this link to nominate yourself or
> > someone
> > > else to attend: *https://goo.gl/forms/MKF682BE1OVI0pe63 This
> nomination
> > > form will remain open between June 1 and June 14, 2018.
> > >
> > > This survey is conducted via a third-party service, which may make it
> > > subject to additional terms. For more information on privacy and
> > > data-handling, see this survey privacy statement: https://
> > >
> > wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Technical_
> Conference_Survey_Privacy_
> > > Statement
> > >
> > > *If you have any questions, please post them on the event's talk page

Clarification Re: [nominations needed] Wikimedia Technical Conference

Greg Grossmeier-2
Hello,

The Wikimedia Technical Conference Program Committee wanted to send a
clarifying note regarding the nomination process.

Initially we said that relevant budget owners will be invited directly
by us and thus *do not need to be explicitly nominated*. This is still
half true.

We will be directly inviting many budget owners BUT please do nominate
those budget owners that you believe should be in attendance (including
yourself, if applicable). Do this even if you believe we will already
select them. There's no harm in nominating someone.

I have updated the FAQ accordingly[0].

Please post any questions on the talk page[1].

Thanks,

Greg

[0] https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Wikimedia_Technical_Conference%2F2018%2FFAQ&type=revision&diff=2801232&oldid=2801090
[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Technical_Conference/2018

--
| Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
| Release Team Manager            A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |