open wikis for chapters....?

private musings
G'day all,
over on the wikimedia au mailing list, we've been having a discussion about
whether or not our 'official wiki' should be able to be edited by more than
just the current financial members (I think we've got around 30 - 50 members
at the mo) ( see
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimediaau-l/2009-December/002745.htmlfor
the thread, and it sort of gets just a little bit heated....)
I thought I'd flick this list a note because the tensions between the
foundation's aims and this more pragmatic decision have been discussed. What
I'd like to ask this list's members is whether or not you agree that open
editing is a good thing, and as many pages as possible on a chapter's wiki
should be open to as many folk as possible?
Obviously there are important factors to keep in mind in making these
decisions, but I feel it would be useful for others not quite so connected
to 'WMAU', but with a close connection to WMF in general, if they have a
moment, to review our thread, and offer feedback and ideas as to whether
we're doing it right, or (as I feel) we really should open up the wiki a bit
more :-)
best,
Peter,
PM.

Re: open wikis for chapters....?

Geoffrey Plourde
There are some pages that should legally be restricted, like the bylaws. i do believe that most pages should be open to public editing because of the risk of some non member Aussie thinking of a better way to do something and being stifled.

________________________________

Re: open wikis for chapters....?

K. Peachey
On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 7:33 PM, Geoffrey Plourde <[hidden email]> wrote:
> There are some pages that should legally be restricted, like the bylaws. i do believe that most pages should be open to public editing because of the risk of some non member Aussie thinking of a better way to do something and being stifled.
Those should be protected anyway, stuff like bylaws shouldn't be
getting touched without consensus from a AGM. But there are methods to
protect "important" pages like that, for example standard page
protection methods or the flagged rev system for another example.

-Peachey
(Also gah at cross posting to multiple lists via cc'ing, seems to
cause some issues in gmail =( so this may not be in/on all the correct
lists/threads.)

Re: open wikis for chapters....?

Effe iets anders
what will be the goal of the website? Answers should depend on that.
The question whether "open editing" is a good thing or not, is not an
absolute question, but depends on what you want to reach etc. First
get consensus on that, then find the model best suited for that.

-- eia

2009/12/12 private musings <[hidden email]>:

> G'day all,
> over on the wikimedia au mailing list, we've been having a discussion about
> whether or not our 'official wiki' should be able to be edited by more than
> just the current financial members (I think we've got around 30 - 50 members
> at the mo) ( see
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimediaau-l/2009-December/002745.htmlfor
> the thread, and it sort of gets just a little bit heated....)
> I thought I'd flick this list a note because the tensions between the
> foundation's aims and this more pragmatic decision have been discussed. What
> I'd like to ask this list's members is whether or not you agree that open
> editing is a good thing, and as many pages as possible on a chapter's wiki
> should be open to as many folk as possible?
> Obviously there are important factors to keep in mind in making these
> decisions, but I feel it would be useful for others not quite so connected
> to 'WMAU', but with a close connection to WMF in general, if they have a
> moment, to review our thread, and offer feedback and ideas as to whether
> we're doing it right, or (as I feel) we really should open up the wiki a bit
> more :-)
> best,
> Peter,
> PM.

Re: open wikis for chapters....?

Mike Peel
My viewpoint is: why restrict editing? As Geoffrey and Peachey
mentioned, there are some pages that do need protecting, but other
than that? A central part of the Wikimedia zeitgeist for me is that
anyone can edit.

If you restrict editing, then you're removing the ability for non-
members to give their opinions and help out. They _might_ become
members so that they can edit, but odds are that won't be the primary
driver for them joining. Then there are people that can't join for
whatever reason (in another country [if your bylaws restrict that],
no money, ...).

The Wikimedia UK wiki (http://uk.wikimedia.org/) is open for everyone
to edit - even anonymous editors (who can even create pages - so
we're more open than Wikipedia. ;-) ). There are pages that are
necessarily locked down, but the talk pages are always open. That's
worked out well for us so far. There's a little bit of vandalism, but
it's been kept in check by board members and some trusted members
that are also admins.

BTW, I've never liked that the WMF's wiki is completely locked down.
It feels a bit like a cabal. ;-)

Mike