other wiki... domains

Jürg Wolf
Hi all

What do you think about the registration of other wiki... domains in switzerland
such as wikibooks.ch, wiktionary.ch and all the other wiki projects...?

I know that the .de is not meant for the german country but for german
language.
But isn't it important to hold these swiss domains as they could become alive in
future or could we claim these domains due to legal stuff in case someone else
registered these domains?

Jürg

RE: other wiki... domains

Emanuel Clapasson
Ja, das finde ich auch eine gute Idee die zu sch?tzen.

Aber dann sollten wir bis am 1. M?rz warten, denn ab dann verlangt SWITCH
die Registrierungsgeb?hr nicht mehr, und somit sparen wir 40 Franken pro
Domain.

---
 Freundliche Gr?sse
 Emanuel "Muvon53" Clapasson

 http://www.pokeblitz.ch/
 http://www.emailpoint.de/
 mailto:[hidden email]

>-- Original-Nachricht --
>Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 08:48:07 +0100
>From: J?rg Wolf <[hidden email]>
>Subject: [Wikimediach-l] other wiki... domains
>

>Hi all
>
>What do you think about the registration of other wiki... domains in switzerland
>such as wikibooks.ch, wiktionary.ch and all the other wiki projects...?
>
>I know that the .de is not meant for the german country but for german
>language.
>But isn't it important to hold these swiss domains as they could become
alive

>in
>future or could we claim these domains due to legal stuff in case someone
>else
>registered these domains?
>
>J?rg

Re: other wiki... domains

Manuel Schneider [Everything Open]
Hi,

> Aber dann sollten wir bis am 1. M?rz warten, denn ab dann verlangt SWITCH
> die Registrierungsgeb?hr nicht mehr, und somit sparen wir 40 Franken pro
> Domain.

> >What do you think about the registration of other wiki... domains in
> > switzerland such as wikibooks.ch, wiktionary.ch and all the other wiki
> > projects...?
As I am already hosting wikipedia.de I would offer a "sponsored hosting" - we
make a contract as usual, I register the domains for the contractor
(Wikimedia CH) for which you pay the normal fees. The hosting services
(webspace, e-mail addresses etc.) will be for free.

But we will discuss that when the foundation has taken place.

As it might be that Wikimedia Deutschland rents a server at my colocation I
will ask if it is okay that both foundations could access the same services
on the same server and divide the costs.

Is someone at the Mitgliederversammlung at Frankfurt in the end of February?
It would be a good chance to discuss this.

Greets,

Manuel
All-Things-Open Projektgruppe

[hidden email]
http://www.all-things-open.org/

Re: other wiki... domains

Michael Bimmler
2006/1/27, Manuel Schneider [Everything Open] <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> > Aber dann sollten wir bis am 1. M?rz warten, denn ab dann verlangt SWITCH
> > die Registrierungsgeb?hr nicht mehr, und somit sparen wir 40 Franken pro
> > Domain.
>
> > >What do you think about the registration of other wiki... domains in
> > > switzerland such as wikibooks.ch, wiktionary.ch and all the other wiki
> > > projects...?
> As I am already hosting wikipedia.de I would offer a "sponsored hosting" - we
> make a contract as usual, I register the domains for the contractor
> (Wikimedia CH) for which you pay the normal fees. The hosting services
> (webspace, e-mail addresses etc.) will be for free.
Cool. So you could host wikimedia.ch and wikipedia.ch (and also things
like wikibooks.ch etc.)?

> But we will discuss that when the foundation has taken place.
>
> As it might be that Wikimedia Deutschland rents a server at my colocation I
> will ask if it is okay that both foundations could access the same services
> on the same server and divide the costs.
>
> Is someone at the Mitgliederversammlung at Frankfurt in the end of February?
> It would be a good chance to discuss this.
I probably can't be there (swiss holidays -> I'm skiing...). Are you
there? If yes, can you maybe be our "advocat" there?

> Greets,

Michael

> Manuel
> All-Things-Open Projektgruppe
>
> [hidden email]
> http://www.all-things-open.org/

An eternity is very, very long, especially towards the end

Re: other wiki... domains

Manuel Schneider [Everything Open]
> > As I am already hosting wikipedia.de I would offer a "sponsored hosting"
> > - we make a contract as usual, I register the domains for the contractor
> > (Wikimedia CH) for which you pay the normal fees. The hosting services
> > (webspace, e-mail addresses etc.) will be for free.
>
> Cool. So you could host wikimedia.ch and wikipedia.ch (and also things
> like wikibooks.ch etc.)?
Exactly. Wikimedia CH pays the fees for the domains, hosting is free. To avoid
later problems Wikimedia CH has a normal contract as every other customer
would have.

If there will be an own server of Wikimedia DE which they share this will cost
some money (Wikimedia DE thinks about renting a server with all services
included, so they pay a static monthly fee including administration,
hardware, connectivity etc.). We will talk about that when this is reality.
Right now this is just discussion and the idea of sharing the server with
Wikimedia CH came up just right now and is not discussed with anyone yet.

So long you could use normal hosting space and mail adresses (also redirects
to OTRS and other things). There is enough space, support for CGIs and, if
needed, MySQL databases.

> > Is someone at the Mitgliederversammlung at Frankfurt in the end of
> > February? It would be a good chance to discuss this.
>
> I probably can't be there (swiss holidays -> I'm skiing...). Are you
> there? If yes, can you maybe be our "advocat" there?
If my suggestion is the will of the future members I will do that.