overprinting wikipedia table

jidanni
The table on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_family#See_also
overprints itself even with CTRL+0 zoom, not to mention what happens
when one hits CTRL+++++.

Re: overprinting wikipedia table

Chad
On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 8:53 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The table on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_family#See_also
> overprints itself even with CTRL+0 zoom, not to mention what happens
> when one hits CTRL+++++.

Works for me, pretty sure this isn't an issue for wikitech-l.
Perhaps bring it up on the talkpage?

-Chad

Re: overprinting wikipedia table

Platonides
On 09/07/12 02:56, Chad wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 8:53 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The table on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_family#See_also
>> overprints itself even with CTRL+0 zoom, not to mention what happens
>> when one hits CTRL+++++.
>>

> Works for me, pretty sure this isn't an issue for wikitech-l.
> Perhaps bring it up on the talkpage?
>
> -Chad

WFM too. If you're convinced it is indeed a mediawiki problem, you
should open a bug with a screenshot attached.

Re: overprinting wikipedia table

Derric Atzrott
>On 09/07/12 02:56, Chad wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 8:53 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> The table on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_family#See_also
>>> overprints itself even with CTRL+0 zoom, not to mention what happens
>>> when one hits CTRL+++++.
>>>

>> Works for me, pretty sure this isn't an issue for wikitech-l.
>> Perhaps bring it up on the talkpage?
>>
>> -Chad

>WFM too. If you're convinced it is indeed a mediawiki problem, you should
open a bug with a screenshot attached.

Ditto.  No problems to report here as far as I can see.

Thank you,
Derric Atzrott

Re: overprinting wikipedia table

jidanni
Just hit many CTRL++ in Firefox 15.

overprint.png (107K) Download Attachment

Re: overprinting wikipedia table

Brion Vibber
On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 10:15 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just hit many CTRL++ in Firefox 15.

re: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_family#See_also

This is an example of poor, non-scalable layout by wiki authors -- the kind
of thing that often messes up mobile view, but can happen on the regular
desktop view as well depending on your window size. Nothing ill-intentioned
in the code, but as your window gets smaller relative to the text size it
gets less and less tenable to lay out a floated table next to a two-column
list.

There are a couple things that can be fixed here:
* drop the floated table entirely, show it inline
* drop the multi-column on the list
* or -- drop the above for smaller screens, while keeping them for larger
screens (with CSS media queries)

CSS media queries can't be done with inline styles, so that needs to
probably switch to a class that can be defined in the global styles.
(Alternatively, we could devise an extension to let you add <style>
sections from templates, which might help since templates are being used
here to add the inline styles.)

-- brion

Re: overprinting wikipedia table

jidanni
OK I left them a note,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Language_family#Bad_formatting .

Re: overprinting wikipedia table

Yuvi Panda
On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 10:44 AM, Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> (Alternatively, we could devise an extension to let you add <style>
> sections from templates, which might help since templates are being used
> here to add the inline styles.)

+1

--
Yuvi Panda T
http://yuvi.in/blog

Re: overprinting wikipedia table

Jon Robson
> CSS media queries can't be done with inline styles, so that needs to
> probably switch to a class that can be defined in the global styles.
> (Alternatively, we could devise an extension to let you add <style>
> sections from templates, which might help since templates are being used
> here to add the inline styles.)
-1
We should limit where stylesheets can be added (although the idea in
principle I am for). Otherwise we risk various pages introducing the
same styles which will be awful to maintain (I'm seeing this problem
with inline styles). I would prefer stylesheets per template/category
that are applied to any page using them. This keeps the styles at a
higher more reusable level.

Re: overprinting wikipedia table

Jon Robson
Oops forgot to add this link:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Deprecating_inline_styles

--
Jon Robson
http://jonrobson.me.uk

Re: overprinting wikipedia table

Krinkle
On Jul 10, 2012, at 7:44 AM, Brion Vibber wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 10:15 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Just hit many CTRL++ in Firefox 15.
>>

> re: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_family#See_also
>
> This is an example of poor, non-scalable layout by wiki authors -- the kind
> of thing that often messes up mobile view, but can happen on the regular
> desktop view as well depending on your window size. Nothing ill-intentioned
> in the code, but as your window gets smaller relative to the text size it
> gets less and less tenable to lay out a floated table next to a two-column
> list.
>
> There are a couple things that can be fixed here:
> * drop the floated table entirely, show it inline
> * drop the multi-column on the list
> * or -- drop the above for smaller screens, while keeping them for larger
> screens (with CSS media queries)
>
> CSS media queries can't be done with inline styles, so that needs to
> probably switch to a class that can be defined in the global styles.
> (Alternatively, we could devise an extension to let you add <style>
> sections from templates, which might help since templates are being used
> here to add the inline styles.)
>
> -- brion

When using column-count it does indeed seem attractive to try to change the
column-count based on the screen width. However there is a (imho, better)
solution for this.

Use column-width instead of column-count. column-width is basically a responsive
version of column-count. That adds and removes columns dynamically. And with an
added bonus feature that it respects the current parent element dimensions
rather than the entire window, which is pretty much always what you want.

Check the paragraph example on {{column-width}} at Wikipedia for an example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Column-width

-- Krinkle