page ID value in imported XML files

Jeff Lane
Does anyone know the importance (if any) for the <id>value</id> in XML
files imported into Mediawiki?

There's one under both <page> and <revision>. Since Mediawiki uses the
timestamp to pick which version of the page to use after the import,
does the <id>value</id> have any effect? In my tests it didn't seem to.
I just want to make sure before I do a large import of new pages. Since
these pages are new, they have no previous <id> other than what I set.

-Jeff

Re: page ID value in imported XML files

Brion Vibber
Jeff Lane wrote:
> Does anyone know the importance (if any) for the <id>value</id> in XML
> files imported into Mediawiki?

The page's id is the page_id, the revision's id is the rev_id.

importDump.php does not preserve these; it's meant for importing pages into an
existing wiki.

mwdumper does; it's meant for reproducing a complete wiki.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: page ID value in imported XML files

Jeff Lane
OK. Thanks Brion. I'll just make these a dummy value for my purposes,
since I'm adding new pages to an existing wiki.

The XML I/O functions have worked well so far. I'm creating a bunch of
keyword definition pages using text files and macros to generate the
XML, and importing on a test server before importing the final pages to
a production server. The only thing that would make it easier would be
if you could force it to do a rebuild from the import page instead of
having to log in to a shell to run the maintenance script.

When I'm done, I'll see if I can add any info I've learned to the FAQ
and/or reference pages.

-Jeff

> Does anyone know the importance (if any) for the <id>value</id> in XML

> files imported into Mediawiki?

The page's id is the page_id, the revision's id is the rev_id.

importDump.php does not preserve these; it's meant for importing pages
into an existing wiki.

mwdumper does; it's meant for reproducing a complete wiki.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Problem or bug with custom namespaces

Raimund Sudermann, CCDS GmbH
Just a short question: is it the normal behaviour that the content of
existing pages with a custom namespace dissappears after I enable the
namespace in the wikiengine?

Maybe it should be done the other way round, but now we have done the
following:
1.  created some pages e.g. "customNS:page1", "customNS:page2"
2.  enabled the custom namsspace named  "customNS" in the wiki engine.
3. result: all pagecontent on the pages  "customNS:page1",
"customNS:page2" was gone.

Is this the normal behaviour or do I miss something?

Raimund

Re: Problem or bug with custom namespaces

Elliott F. Cable
Yes, that's normal - those pages are not marked with the namespace
TECHNICALLY, just in the page name. If you're going to have to move
them manually, best thing you can do is to undo the enabling of the
custom namespace, and move all the pages to, for example,
CustomNS1temp: (Special:Prefixindex can be helpful here) then
activate CustomNS1: as a namespace, then move them into it.

On May 16, 2006, at 9:17 AM, R. Sudermann wrote:

> Just a short question: is it the normal behaviour that the content of
> existing pages with a custom namespace dissappears after I enable the
> namespace in the wikiengine?
>
> Maybe it should be done the other way round, but now we have done the
> following:
> 1.  created some pages e.g. "customNS:page1", "customNS:page2"
> 2.  enabled the custom namsspace named  "customNS" in the wiki engine.
> 3. result: all pagecontent on the pages  "customNS:page1",
> "customNS:page2" was gone.
>
> Is this the normal behaviour or do I miss something?
>

> Raimund

Re: Problem or bug with custom namespaces

Rob Church
On 16/05/06, R. Sudermann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just a short question: is it the normal behaviour that the content of
> existing pages with a custom namespace dissappears after I enable the
> namespace in the wikiengine?
>
> Maybe it should be done the other way round, but now we have done the
> following:
> 1.  created some pages e.g. "customNS:page1", "customNS:page2"
> 2.  enabled the custom namsspace named  "customNS" in the wiki engine.
> 3. result: all pagecontent on the pages  "customNS:page1",
> "customNS:page2" was gone.
>
> Is this the normal behaviour or do I miss something?

It is now. The trouble is that before, the pages were going into the
main namespace, i.e. their numerical namespace index was 0. Now
there's a specific index for that namespace, pulling up those pages
doesn't work.

Run the namespaceDupes maintenance script to correct the entries.

Rob Church

Jeff Lane wrote:
> OK. Thanks Brion. I'll just make these a dummy value for my purposes,
> since I'm adding new pages to an existing wiki.

Don't make a dummy value, just leave it out.

Am 16.05.2006 um 19:32 schrieb Rob Church:

> On 16/05/06, R. Sudermann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Just a short question: is it the normal behaviour that the content of
>> existing pages with a custom namespace dissappears after I enable the
>> namespace in the wikiengine?
>>
>> Maybe it should be done the other way round, but now we have done the
>> following:
>> 1.  created some pages e.g. "customNS:page1", "customNS:page2"
>> 2.  enabled the custom namsspace named  "customNS" in the wiki
>> engine.
>> 3. result: all pagecontent on the pages  "customNS:page1",
>> "customNS:page2" was gone.
>>
>> Is this the normal behaviour or do I miss something?
>
> It is now. The trouble is that before, the pages were going into the
> main namespace, i.e. their numerical namespace index was 0. Now
> there's a specific index for that namespace, pulling up those pages
> doesn't work.
>
> Run the namespaceDupes maintenance script to correct the entries.
>

> Rob Church

Thank you Rob,  I will try to run the script.

Am 16.05.2006 um 19:23 schrieb Elliott F. Cable:

> Yes, that's normal - those pages are not marked with the namespace
> TECHNICALLY, just in the page name. If you're going to have to move
> them manually, best thing you can do is to undo the enabling of the
> custom namespace, and move all the pages to, for example,
> CustomNS1temp: (Special:Prefixindex can be helpful here) then
> activate CustomNS1: as a namespace, then move them into it.

Yes, that was the way we did it this time

Raimund