pdf files

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

pdf files

Klaus Becker
Hi,


what is the best method to import or show pdf files in mediawiki ?

Should I export them to image file or another format ?

cheers

Klaus


_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pdf files

Platonides
Klaus Becker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> what is the best method to import or show pdf files in mediawiki ?
>
> Should I export them to image file or another format ?
>
> cheers
>
> Klaus

You can upload them at the wiki like you do with images.
Install http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:PdfHandler to have a
nice per page visualization.


_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pdf files

Klaus Becker
Le mercredi 23 décembre 2009 14:47:40, Platonides a écrit :

> Klaus Becker wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > what is the best method to import or show pdf files in mediawiki ?
> >
> > Should I export them to image file or another format ?
> >
> > cheers
> >
> > Klaus
>
> You can upload them at the wiki like you do with images.

No, I cannot. When I try, I get a message which says, I can only import png,
gif, jpg, jpeg files. I did not find how to allow pdf files. I use 1.14.0. Must I
update to 1.15.1 ?

Klaus


> Install http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:PdfHandler to have a
> nice per page visualization.

ok for that

_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pdf files

Platonides
Klaus Becker a écrit:

> Le mercredi 23 décembre 2009 14:47:40, Platonides a écrit :
>> Klaus Becker wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> what is the best method to import or show pdf files in mediawiki ?
>>>
>>> Should I export them to image file or another format ?
>>>
>>> cheers
>>>
>>> Klaus
>> You can upload them at the wiki like you do with images.
>
> No, I cannot. When I try, I get a message which says, I can only import png,
> gif, jpg, jpeg files. I did not find how to allow pdf files. I use 1.14.0. Must I
> update to 1.15.1 ?
>
> Klaus

Add to your LocalSettings.php
$wgFileExtensions[] = 'pdf';

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgFileExtensions

PS: Updating is always recommended.


_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pdf files

Jan Steinman
In reply to this post by Klaus Becker
> From: Klaus Becker <[hidden email]>
>
> what is the best method to import or show pdf files in mediawiki ?

It's very simple to import them. Simply make sure 'pdf' is in the  
array $wgFileExtensions in LocalSettings.php. Then upload them like an  
image.

Showing them is another matter. There's what appears to be a very nice  
extension for doing so, which allows small versions to be embedded in  
a wiki page, with scrolling through pages, etc. But it requires that a  
few GNUware programs be installed, and I haven't gotten around to that  
yet, so no personal experience to relate on this one.
        http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:PdfHandler

> Should I export them to image file or another format ?

If you make images of them, they won't be searchable.

I don't think they are searchable when simply uploaded, but they at  
least have the potential!


:::: Crash programs fail because they are based on the theory that,  
with nine women pregnant, you can get a baby a month. -- Wernher von  
Braun
:::: Jan Steinman ::::


_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l