phishing with wikipedia?

Pedro Sanchez-2
Should someone handle this?

http://www.blackwikipedia.org/

BlackWikipedia is a nonprofit private organization to support WMF, the
Foundation working to maintain and develop the free online
encyclopedia, Wikipedia. Wikipedia is constantly looking for donors as
you can see in the banner top of each wikipedia.org page, in order to
support the huge costs of maintenaince and adminsitration. Now it's
posible for any user, throught BlackWikipedia, participate supporting
WMF, without having to make a donation.

¿How's that possible? Income generated by Black Wikipedia ads, minus
the cost of maintenance and administration for servers, will be used
by the WMF with ordinary donations. Therefore, each person using
BlackWiipedia is directly participating in Wikipedia supporting.

That's a translation from http://www.blackwikipedia.org/es/wiki/Portada:

Black Wikipedia

BlackWikipedia es una organización privada sin fines de lucro para
apoyar a la Fundación Wikimedia, la fundación que trabaja para
mantener y desarrollar la enciclopedia libre en línea Wikipedia.
Wikipedia es constantemente en busca de donaciones, como usted puede
ver en el banner que aparece al principio de cada página de
wikipedia.org, para apoyar a los enormes costos de mantenimiento y
gestión. Ahora es posible para cualquier usuario, a través de
BlackWikipedia, participar en apoyo de la Fundación Wikimedia, sin la
necesidad de hacer una donación.

¿Cómo es esto posible? Los ingresos generados por anuncios en
BlackWikipedia, eliminado el coste de la gestión y mantenimiento de
los servidores, serán utilizados por la Fundación Wikimedia con
ordinarias donaciones. Por lo tanto, cada persona que utiliza
BlackWikipedia están participando directamente en el apoyo de la
Wikipedia!

Wikipedia es un mirror negro de Wikipedia. La base de datos será
reajustado periódicamente a la base de datos de la Wikipedia. Los
cambios a los articulos dell'Enciclopedia será ejecutado en la
Wikipedia, y entonces se añade a BlackWikipedia durante las
actualizaciones periódicas de la base de datos.

Also in italian (although very slow page):
http://www.blackwikipedia.org/it/wiki/Pagina_principale

BlackWikipedia è un'iniziativa privata no profit per sostenere la
wikimedia foundation, la fondazione che si occupa di mantenere e
sviluppare l'enciclopedia libera online Wikipedia. Wikipedia è alla
continua ricerca di donazioni, come si può vedere dal banner che viene
visualizzato all'inizio di ogni pagina di wikipedia.org, per poter
sostenere le ingenti spese di mantenimento e gestione. Da oggi sarà
possibile per qualsiasi utente, tramite Blackwikipedia, partecipare al
sostegno della Wikimedia Foundation, senza il bisogno di effettuare
una donazione. (...)

Re: phishing with wikipedia?

Mohamed Magdy-2
2009/3/13 Pedro Sanchez <[hidden email]>

> Should someone handle this?
>

> http://www.blackwikipedia.org/
>
> BlackWikipedia is a nonprofit private organization to support WMF, the
> Foundation working to maintain and develop the free online
> encyclopedia, Wikipedia. Wikipedia is constantly looking for donors as
> you can see in the banner top of each wikipedia.org page, in order to
> support the huge costs of maintenaince and adminsitration. Now it's
> posible for any user, throught BlackWikipedia, participate supporting
> WMF, without having to make a donation.
>
> ¿How's that possible? Income generated by Black Wikipedia ads, minus
> the cost of maintenance and administration for servers, will be used
> by the WMF with ordinary donations. Therefore, each person using
> BlackWiipedia is directly participating in Wikipedia supporting.
>
> That's a translation from http://www.blackwikipedia.org/es/wiki/Portada:

Assuming their good faith, they will change the domain name (and the logo)
into something else if someone approached them.  I don't see a problem here
except that they should clarify that they aren't affiliated with the WMF
(nothing that binds them to send WMF any earnings etc).

Re: phishing with wikipedia?

Pedro Sanchez-2
On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 3:18 AM, Mohamed Magdy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Assuming their good faith, they will change the domain name (and the logo)
> into something else if someone approached them.  I don't see a problem here
> except that they should clarify that they aren't affiliated with the WMF
> (nothing that binds them to send WMF any earnings etc).

Yes, but that someone must come from the foundation, so I asked if
someone should handle it (as I don't know who does this kind of
things)

Re: phishing with wikipedia?

Michael Bimmler
On 3/13/09, Pedro Sanchez <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 3:18 AM, Mohamed Magdy <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> Assuming their good faith, they will change the domain name (and the logo)
>> into something else if someone approached them.  I don't see a problem
>> here
>> except that they should clarify that they aren't affiliated with the WMF
>> (nothing that binds them to send WMF any earnings etc).
>>

> Yes, but that someone must come from the foundation, so I asked if
> someone should handle it (as I don't know who does this kind of
> things)

Mike, whom I cc here.

Michael Bimmler

Re: phishing with wikipedia?

oscar-11
still, their SITE SUPPORT navigation button on the left led directly to
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donaciones

very best,
oscar

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 11:09 AM, Michael Bimmler <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On 3/13/09, Pedro Sanchez <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 3:18 AM, Mohamed Magdy <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >> Assuming their good faith, they will change the domain name (and the
> logo)
> >> into something else if someone approached them.  I don't see a problem
> >> here
> >> except that they should clarify that they aren't affiliated with the WMF
> >> (nothing that binds them to send WMF any earnings etc).
> >>

> > Yes, but that someone must come from the foundation, so I asked if
> > someone should handle it (as I don't know who does this kind of
> > things)
>
> Mike, whom I cc here.

> Michael Bimmler

*edito ergo sum*

******************
The information contained in this message is confidential and may be legally
privileged. The message is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use,
dissemination, or reproduction is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by return

Re: phishing with wikipedia?

oscar-11
yet the authors and histories are not there, articles appear to be
bot-imported eg cf:*
http://www.blackwikipedia.org/eswiki/index.php?title=Anexo:Premios_Oscar_1981&action=history
*
http://es.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Anexo:Premios_Óscar_de_1981&action=history<http://es.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Anexo:Premios_%C3%93scar_de_1981&action=history>

--
*edito ergo sum*

******************
The information contained in this message is confidential and may be legally
privileged. The message is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use,
dissemination, or reproduction is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by return

Re: phishing with wikipedia?

Andrew Gray-3
2009/3/13 Pedro Sanchez <[hidden email]>:

> ¿How's that possible? Income generated by Black Wikipedia ads, minus
> the cost of maintenance and administration for servers, will be used
> by the WMF with ordinary donations. Therefore, each person using
> BlackWiipedia is directly participating in Wikipedia supporting.

Is this clearly phishing? It looks like what we've always wondered
about, a functioning mirror carrying advertising...

--
- Andrew Gray

Re: phishing with wikipedia?

Pedro Sanchez-2
On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 6:37 AM, Andrew Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is this clearly phishing? It looks like what we've always wondered
> about, a functioning mirror carrying advertising...
>
> --
> - Andrew Gray
>  [hidden email]

Most mirrors don't use the trademarked "wikipedia" name and the logo