problem with $wgGroupPermissions

Thomas Tschoellitsch
Hello,

I've got a little problem with disabling read and new user
registrations in LocalSettings.php - I've got the following settings
from Meta (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:User_rights):

$wgShowIPinHeader = false; # For non-logged in users
$wgWhitelistRead = array( "Main Page", "Special:Userlogin", "-",
"MediaWiki:Monobook.css" );
$wgGroupPermissions['*']['createaccount'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['*']['edit'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['*']['read'] = false;

What I expected to happen was, that...

- new user registrations shouldn't be possible
- no one except the sysops can read/edit the Wiki (including talk pages)

I'm not sure whether this would also include Google et al not indexing
the pages, but that'd be another thing I'd like to have for now.

Unfortunately the result is, that I can't log in anymore (via
Special:UserLogin).

Any ideas? :)

Thanks in advance,
Thomas Tschoellitsch

ALWAYS OPENS IN NEW WINDOW?

Wes-3
I'm trying to put mediawiki into a framed page, or run it in a site like
joomla.

Although everytime the page loads, it reopens, the page.  So if its in a
framed, it will reload the wiki page by itself only!

Any ideas?

Re: problem with $wgGroupPermissions

Rob Lanphier
On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 05:47 +0100, Thomas Tschoellitsch wrote:

> I've got the following settings
> from Meta (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:User_rights):
>
> $wgShowIPinHeader = false; # For non-logged in users
> $wgWhitelistRead = array( "Main Page", "Special:Userlogin", "-",
> "MediaWiki:Monobook.css" );
> $wgGroupPermissions['*']['createaccount'] = false;
> $wgGroupPermissions['*']['edit'] = false;
> $wgGroupPermissions['*']['read'] = false;
>
> What I expected to happen was, that...
> - new user registrations shouldn't be possible
> - no one except the sysops can read/edit the Wiki (including talk pages)
[...]
> Unfortunately the result is, that I can't log in anymore (via
> Special:UserLogin).

Add this:
$wgGroupPermissions['sysop']['edit'] = true;
$wgGroupPermissions['sysop']['read'] = true;

The sysop group doesn't explicitly have 'read' and 'edit'...those are
global permissions by default.  Since you turned off global read, you
need to explicitly declare sysop read/edit.  See
DefaultSettings.php...any global ('*') permission you disable should be
explicitly reenabled for sysop or whatever other group you need to make
sure gets the permission.

Rob

Re: ALWAYS OPENS IN NEW WINDOW?

Brion Vibber

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: ALWAYS OPENS IN NEW WINDOW?

Wes-3
Hey,

what am I supposed to do with this file, and what program do I use to open
it?

Re: ALWAYS OPENS IN NEW WINDOW?

Terry Auspitz
The attached file is Brion's digital signature and was not part of his
reply to your question.

His reply is that you should read the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions),
which is located at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_FAQ and
contains the answer to your question.

When you run into a problem, it's a good idea to do at least some basic
searching for your answer before posting, as I've done here. I've found
most of the answers I need (and I'm a total n00b when it comes to this
stuff). The help at http://meta.wikimedia.org is a great resource and
probably answers about 98% of my questions.

~Terry

Wes wrote:

> Hey,
>
> what am I supposed to do with this file, and what program do I use to
> open it?
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Brion Vibber" <[hidden email]>

Rob Church
Please don't use all uppercase subjects for emails. It's considered
shouting and is rude. Please also be aware that it's polite to search
the web for this sort of information first, including the FAQ, release
notes, mailing list archives, and bug trackers of the affected
products. In this case, a developer has advised you read the FAQ.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_FAQ#I_want_my_wiki_to_appear_in_a_frame_as_part_of_my_site.2C_but_it_keeps_popping_out_of_the_frame
contains the answer.

Rob Church

On 08/02/06, Wes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm trying to put mediawiki into a framed page, or run it in a site like
> joomla.
>
> Although everytime the page loads, it reopens, the page.  So if its in a
> framed, it will reload the wiki page by itself only!
>
> Any ideas?

Re: ALWAYS OPENS IN NEW WINDOW?

Wes-3
Terry,
    Thank you, I will search from now on.  I apprecaite it!

-wesley
> The attached file is Brion's digital signature and was not part of his
> reply to your question.
>
> His reply is that you should read the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions),
> which is located at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_FAQ and
> contains the answer to your question.
>
> When you run into a problem, it's a good idea to do at least some basic
> searching for your answer before posting, as I've done here. I've found
> most of the answers I need (and I'm a total n00b when it comes to this
> stuff). The help at http://meta.wikimedia.org is a great resource and
> probably answers about 98% of my questions.
>
> ~Terry
>
> Wes wrote:
>
>> Hey,
>>
>> what am I supposed to do with this file, and what program do I use to
>> open it?
>>

>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Brion Vibber" <[hidden email]>

Thank you Rob, I appreciate it and will search, and not use capital letters
in my emails.

Regards,
Wesley

Please don't use all uppercase subjects for emails. It's considered
shouting and is rude. Please also be aware that it's polite to search
the web for this sort of information first, including the FAQ, release
notes, mailing list archives, and bug trackers of the affected
products. In this case, a developer has advised you read the FAQ.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_FAQ#I_want_my_wiki_to_appear_in_a_frame_as_part_of_my_site.2C_but_it_keeps_popping_out_of_the_frame
contains the answer.

Rob Church

On 08/02/06, Wes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm trying to put mediawiki into a framed page, or run it in a site like
> joomla.
>
> Although everytime the page loads, it reopens, the page.  So if its in a
> framed, it will reload the wiki page by itself only!
>
> Any ideas?

PKI Enabled Wiki...?

Thomas George-3
Hello,

Has anyone attempted to use PKI authentication via Apache's FakeBasicAuth
directive..

Thomas

Re: PKI Enabled Wiki...?

Stephen Warren
Thomas George wrote:
> Has anyone attempted to use PKI authentication via Apache's FakeBasicAuth
> directive..

Not that exactly, but I have MediaWiki integrated with LDAP-backed
authentication, using basic auth in Apache. I imagine PKI-based auth
could work just the same way.

See here for more details:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Otheus/Auto_Login_via_REMOTE_USER

--
Stephen Warren, Software Engineer, NVIDIA, Fort Collins, CO
[hidden email]     http://www.wwwdotorg.org/pgp.html

Re: problem with $wgGroupPermissions

Pedro Flores
On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 01:20:22AM -0800, Rob Lanphier wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 05:47 +0100, Thomas Tschoellitsch wrote:
> > I've got the following settings
> > from Meta (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:User_rights):
> >
> > $wgShowIPinHeader = false; # For non-logged in users
> > $wgWhitelistRead = array( "Main Page", "Special:Userlogin", "-",
> > "MediaWiki:Monobook.css" );
> > $wgGroupPermissions['*']['createaccount'] = false;
> > $wgGroupPermissions['*']['edit'] = false;
> > $wgGroupPermissions['*']['read'] = false;
> >
> > What I expected to happen was, that...
> > - new user registrations shouldn't be possible
> > - no one except the sysops can read/edit the Wiki (including talk pages)
> [...]
> > Unfortunately the result is, that I can't log in anymore (via
> > Special:UserLogin).
>
> Add this:
> $wgGroupPermissions['sysop']['edit'] = true;
> $wgGroupPermissions['sysop']['read'] = true;
>
> The sysop group doesn't explicitly have 'read' and 'edit'...those are
> global permissions by default.  Since you turned off global read, you
> need to explicitly declare sysop read/edit.  See
> DefaultSettings.php...any global ('*') permission you disable should be
> explicitly reenabled for sysop or whatever other group you need to make
> sure gets the permission.
>
> Rob

I have this in my LocalSettings.php file :
$wgGroupPermissions['*'    ]['createaccount']   = false;
$wgWhitelistRead = array ("Main Page", "Special:Userlogin","Wiki:General disclaimer");
$wgGroupPermissions['*'    ]['read']            = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['*'    ]['edit']            = false;

And I still am allowed to get to the Main Page without having to
explicitly having to add those 2 lines.  And how will the wiki will know
you are a sysop to allow you access to read if you haven't logged in
yet?  I think the problem might be on the
 $wgWhitelistRead = array( "Main Page", "Special:Userlogin", "-",
 "MediaWiki:Monobook.css" );
lines.  Make sure that there is not a line break between these 2 lines
in LocalSettings.php and that is is indeed one line.  Or try putting
that line directly above
$wgGroupPermissions['*'    ]['read']            = false;

Hope this works.

--
pedro

On 2/11/06, Thomas Tschoellitsch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > $wgGroupPermissions['sysop']['edit'] = true;
> > $wgGroupPermissions['sysop']['read'] = true;

Tried this. LocalSettings.php now reads (partially, obviously):

$wgShowIPinHeader = false; # For non-logged in users
$wgWhitelistRead = array( "Main Page", "Special:Userlogin", "-",
"MediaWiki:Monobook.css" );

$wgGroupPermissions['*']['read'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['*']['createaccount'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['*']['edit'] = false;

$wgGroupPermissions['sysop']['edit'] = true;
$wgGroupPermissions['sysop']['read'] = true;

This doesn't allow logging in at all (no one can access the
Special:Userlogin page). Any ideas? :)

Thomas

Re: problem with $wgGroupPermissions

Filip Maljković
Thomas Tschoellitsch wrote:

>$wgWhitelistRead = array( "Main Page", "Special:Userlogin", "-",
>"MediaWiki:Monobook.css" );
>
>[...]
>

>This doesn't allow logging in at all (no one can access the
>Special:Userlogin page). Any ideas? :)
>
>Thomas

You are probably using a non-English interface. Judging by your name,
it's probably German. So, if you want that /$wgWhitelistRead/ to work,
you have to use German namespace names i.e. instead of
Special:Userlogin, use Spezial:Userlogin. This worked in #3902
Cheers,
Filip

Blank message in Special:Allmessages

jej-2

Hi,

How to set a blank message in Special:Allmessages, in order to remove a
string in the UI? When a message page is empty the default value is used.

Thanks,
Jej

Re: Blank message in Special:Allmessages

Rob Church
Depending upon which message it is, setting it to "-" might be an
option, or a non-blanking space or something like that. Not all
messages can be blanked, however.

Rob Church