query.php scheduled to die Monday, August 25

query.php scheduled to die Monday, August 25

Brion Vibber-3

Re: query.php scheduled to die Monday, August 25

Magnus Manske-2
On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 11:48 PM, Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As you may know, the current MediaWiki API was based on an earlier
> interface, the BotQuery extension accessed via query.php.
>
> During development of the new API, the old query.php was left in place
> on Wikimedia's sites to provide backwards-compatibility for tools and
> user scripts using it.
>
> However it's a bit of a burden to keep it around -- being nearly
> unmaintained it suffers from "bitrot":
>
> * Queries sometimes break due to backend changes
>
> * Security problems are sometimes discovered and must be patched
>

> We've been reluctant to just turn it off since some user scripts still
> use it (Lupin's Popups are rumored to be the most popular such), but I'd
> like to go ahead and plan to kill it.
>
> I'm currently scheduling the Death of query.php for Monday, August 25 --
> a little less than 4 weeks from today.
>
> This gives interested parties a chance to either migrate their scripts
> to the current API ahead of time, or to start work on an adaptor to
> replace query.php -- transforming queries to send them to the new API
> and transforming the results back to a format compatible with the old one.

So far, I've found two things query.php does which api.php does not:
* give bit depth of image (not exactly critical for my purposes, though)
* for redirect pages, give the redirect target (this could affect a
tool of mine)

I'll report more as I find them.

Magnus

Re: query.php scheduled to die Monday, August 25

Bryan Tong Minh
On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 9:36 PM, Magnus Manske
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> So far, I've found two things query.php does which api.php does not:
> * give bit depth of image (not exactly critical for my purposes, though)
I may or may not fix this tonight.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&titles=-100&prop=info&redirects>

Re: query.php scheduled to die Monday, August 25

Magnus Manske-2
On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 8:56 PM, Bryan Tong Minh
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 9:36 PM, Magnus Manske
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> So far, I've found two things query.php does which api.php does not:
>> * give bit depth of image (not exactly critical for my purposes, though)
> I may or may not fix this tonight.
>
>> * for redirect pages, give the redirect target (this could affect a
>> tool of mine)
>>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&titles=-100&prop=info&redirects>

Ah! Thanks.

I also see that some query.php functions return properties "touched"
(not the same as timestamp, apparently) and "revid". This is not
critical AFAIK, and could be replaced with another query; that,
however, seems inefficient.

Magnus

Re: query.php scheduled to die Monday, August 25

Paolo Liberatore
One thing I think cannot be done directly in api.php is
to return the pages that embed a *list* of templates.

So for example if I have template1, template2, template3,
with query.php I am able to return all pages embedding any
of these, while in api.php I have to make a query for
each one.

The problem is that eititle only accepts one title, and
that titles= is now ignored.

[[en:User:Tizio]]
Paolo Liberatore

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008, Magnus Manske wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 11:48 PM, Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > As you may know, the current MediaWiki API was based on an earlier
> > interface, the BotQuery extension accessed via query.php.
> >
> > During development of the new API, the old query.php was left in place
> > on Wikimedia's sites to provide backwards-compatibility for tools and
> > user scripts using it.
> >
> > However it's a bit of a burden to keep it around -- being nearly
> > unmaintained it suffers from "bitrot":
> >
> > * Queries sometimes break due to backend changes
> >
> > * Security problems are sometimes discovered and must be patched
> >

> > We've been reluctant to just turn it off since some user scripts still
> > use it (Lupin's Popups are rumored to be the most popular such), but I'd
> > like to go ahead and plan to kill it.
> >
> > I'm currently scheduling the Death of query.php for Monday, August 25 --
> > a little less than 4 weeks from today.
> >
> > This gives interested parties a chance to either migrate their scripts
> > to the current API ahead of time, or to start work on an adaptor to
> > replace query.php -- transforming queries to send them to the new API
> > and transforming the results back to a format compatible with the old one.
>
> So far, I've found two things query.php does which api.php does not:
> * give bit depth of image (not exactly critical for my purposes, though)
> * for redirect pages, give the redirect target (this could affect a
> tool of mine)
>
> I'll report more as I find them.
>
> Magnus

Re: query.php scheduled to die Monday, August 25

Roan Kattouw
Paolo Liberatore schreef:
> One thing I think cannot be done directly in api.php is
> to return the pages that embed a *list* of templates.
>
> So for example if I have template1, template2, template3,
> with query.php I am able to return all pages embedding any
> of these, while in api.php I have to make a query for
> each one.

There's a very good reason for that: queries with dozens of values for
eititle become very inefficient very fast.
> The problem is that eititle only accepts one title, and
> that titles= is now ignored.
That change was announced months ago on this list (search for
"backlinks" in the subject).

Roan Kattouw (Catrope)

Magnus Manske schreef:
> Ah! Thanks.
> I also see that some query.php functions return properties "touched"
> (not the same as timestamp, apparently) and "revid". This is not
> critical AFAIK, and could be replaced with another query; that,
> however, seems inefficient.
Since touched is provided by prop=info and revid by prop=revisions (the
latter in a slightly different format), you could just use
generator=whatever&prop=info|revisions here.

Roan Kattouw (Catrope)