questions about linking

Tin Wong
Dear All

May i know how to enable Auto interlinking ? is all link have to create by
manual [[foo]] ?

thanks

Re: questions about linking

Gary Kirk
Internal links are made by surrounding the article name with [[ and
]]. For prettier links for "uglier" article titles (or any other
namespace actually) use this format:
[[Ugly article name|Pretty name]]

--
Gary Kirk

On 4/24/06, Tin Wong <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear All
>
> May i know how to enable Auto interlinking ? is all link have to create by
> manual [[foo]] ?
>

> thanks

Gary Kirk

Re: questions about linking

Michael Dorosh
In addition to typing the square brackets manually, there is also a button above the editing window that you can press to create sets of square brackets.
  Internal links are made by surrounding the article name with [[ and
  ]]. For prettier links for "uglier" article titles (or any other
  namespace actually) use this format:
  [[Ugly article name|Pretty name]]

  --
  Gary Kirk

  On 4/24/06, Tin Wong <[hidden email]> wrote:
  > Dear All
  >
  > May i know how to enable Auto interlinking ? is all link have to create by
  > manual [[foo]] ?
  >
  >
  > thanks

  Gary Kirk

Re: questions about linking

Tin Wong
so mediawiki didnt have auto interlink right ? for example i have a  page
called (CDROM) , when later on someone create a page have word (CDROM) is
that possible to auto generate a link to (CDROM) page without type any
square brackets ?

thanks

On 4/25/06, Michael Dorosh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In addition to typing the square brackets manually, there is also a button
> above the editing window that you can press to create sets of square
> brackets.

Re: questions about linking

Elliott F. Cable
MediaWiki does not come default with any such feature.

On Apr 24, 2006, at 10:56 PM, Tin Wong wrote:

> so mediawiki didnt have auto interlink right ? for example i have
> a  page
> called (CDROM) , when later on someone create a page have word
> (CDROM) is
> that possible to auto generate a link to (CDROM) page without type any
> square brackets ?
>

> thanks
>
> On 4/25/06, Michael Dorosh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> In addition to typing the square brackets manually, there is also
>> a button
>> above the editing window that you can press to create sets of square
>> brackets.

How to make MediaWiki "remember me" forever

Christiaan Briggs
I run MediaWiki on an intranet (Mac OS X Server 10.4.5) and every
month or so it forgets everyone and they have to login again. I've
previously increased some setting in LocalSettings.php but this
appears to be something different. Any ideas?

Christiaan

After login forward to page user was trying to browse to

Christiaan Briggs
On our setup users are required to login to see anything other than
the Main Page. If a user clicks on a link from the Main Page and
they're not logged in they're prompted to login, after which they are
taken back to the Main Page.

Is there any way to configure MediaWiki to make it forward the user
to the page they clicked on before being prompted to login, instead
of the Main Page?

Christiaan

Re: questions about linking

Rob Church
On 25/04/06, Elliott F. Cable <[hidden email]> wrote:

> MediaWiki does not come default with any such feature.
>
> On Apr 24, 2006, at 10:56 PM, Tin Wong wrote:
>
> > so mediawiki didnt have auto interlink right ? for example i have
> > a  page
> > called (CDROM) , when later on someone create a page have word
> > (CDROM) is
> > that possible to auto generate a link to (CDROM) page without type any
> > square brackets ?

An extension to add it wouldn't be too hard to write, although a bit
of a performance drain on a large site. It depends on the traffic and
performance levels desired.

Rob Church

Re: How to make MediaWiki "remember me" forever

Rob Church
On 25/04/06, Christiaan Briggs <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I run MediaWiki on an intranet (Mac OS X Server 10.4.5) and every
> month or so it forgets everyone and they have to login again. I've
> previously increased some setting in LocalSettings.php but this
> appears to be something different. Any ideas?

Sessions expire. So do cookies.

Rob Church

Re: After login forward to page user was trying to browse to

Rob Church
On 25/04/06, Christiaan Briggs <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On our setup users are required to login to see anything other than
> the Main Page. If a user clicks on a link from the Main Page and
> they're not logged in they're prompted to login, after which they are
> taken back to the Main Page.
>
> Is there any way to configure MediaWiki to make it forward the user
> to the page they clicked on before being prompted to login, instead
> of the Main Page?

The user should be returned to the page from which the login link was
clicked, assuming the use of the standard login link; a "returnto"
argument is added to the request string which is then used to dictate
the location of the redirect.

Rob Church

Re: questions about linking

Rick DeNatale
On 4/25/06, Rob Church <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 25/04/06, Elliott F. Cable <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > MediaWiki does not come default with any such feature.
> >
> > On Apr 24, 2006, at 10:56 PM, Tin Wong wrote:
> >
> > > so mediawiki didnt have auto interlink right ? for example i have
> > > a  page
> > > called (CDROM) , when later on someone create a page have word
> > > (CDROM) is
> > > that possible to auto generate a link to (CDROM) page without type any
> > > square brackets ?
>
> An extension to add it wouldn't be too hard to write, although a bit
> of a performance drain on a large site. It depends on the traffic and
> performance levels desired.

I'd think that there are some other questions about just what the
right specifications for such a feature should be.

For example, let's say that you don't have a CDROM article now but one
gets added in the future.  Should existing pages be rescanned to
generate auto-links?

A more subtle issue is how to deal with ambiguity.  Perhaps this is
less of a problem with a narrow purpose wiki, but for wikipedia...

--
Rick DeNatale

Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site
http://www.mercuryspacecraft.com/

Re: After login forward to page user was trying to browse to

Tels
Moin,

On Tuesday 25 April 2006 14:58, Rob Church wrote:

> On 25/04/06, Christiaan Briggs <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On our setup users are required to login to see anything other than
> > the Main Page. If a user clicks on a link from the Main Page and
> > they're not logged in they're prompted to login, after which they are
> > taken back to the Main Page.
> >
> > Is there any way to configure MediaWiki to make it forward the user
> > to the page they clicked on before being prompted to login, instead
> > of the Main Page?
>
> The user should be returned to the page from which the login link was
> clicked, assuming the use of the standard login link; a "returnto"
> argument is added to the request string which is then used to dictate
> the location of the redirect.
This is a known bug, it doesn't work in 1.5.x or 1.6.x.

If you click a red link, it says you need to login. The link on _that_
page does not forward the page from where you came, so logging in via it
will return you to the main page (this has frustrated my users to no
end).

However, when you are presented with the login page, clicking on the "Log
in" on the upper right corner does preserver the "returnto".

Go and try it on any wiki, logout, press edit, then click on the word
"login" on the page that apears. On my wiki it leads from:

        http://bloodgate.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page&action=edit

to:

        http://bloodgate.com/wiki/index.php?title=Special:Userlogin

Upper right corner instead goes to:

http://bloodgate.com/wiki/index.php?title=Special:Userlogin&returnto=Main_Page

This is very frustrating, even if you know it, since your instinct is to
click on the link that appears in front of you.

Best wishes,

Tels

--
 Signed on Tue Apr 25 19:17:02 2006 with key 0x93B84C15.
 PGP key on http://bloodgate.com/tels.asc or per email.

 "My name is Felicity Shagwell. Shagwell by name, shag very well by
 reputation."

On 25/04/06, Tels <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is a known bug, it doesn't work in 1.5.x or 1.6.x.
>
> If you click a red link, it says you need to login. The link on _that_
> page does not forward the page from where you came, so logging in via it
> will return you to the main page (this has frustrated my users to no
> end).

Got the bug number to hand?

Rob Church

Re: questions about linking

Gary Kirk
Again, it's the question of how small or otherwise the wiki is. For
smaller ones it would be easy to just use Special:Wantedpages to
create articles for the most-linked to non-existent articles.

On 25 Apr 2006, at 1:53 PM, Rob Church wrote:

> On 25/04/06, Christiaan Briggs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I run MediaWiki on an intranet (Mac OS X Server 10.4.5) and every
>> month or so it forgets everyone and they have to login again. I've
>> previously increased some setting in LocalSettings.php but this
>> appears to be something different. Any ideas?
>
> Sessions expire. So do cookies.

I meant have you any ideas on how to extend them indefinitely? We
don't need or want them to expire.

Christiaan

Re: How to make MediaWiki "remember me" forever

Gary Kirk
I doubt it would be a good idea [if its possible; I don't know] to
have a cookie that didn't expire. Google's cookie expires in 2038 or
something, but that's Google.

On 4/25/06, Christiaan Briggs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 25 Apr 2006, at 1:53 PM, Rob Church wrote:
>
> > On 25/04/06, Christiaan Briggs <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> I run MediaWiki on an intranet (Mac OS X Server 10.4.5) and every
> >> month or so it forgets everyone and they have to login again. I've
> >> previously increased some setting in LocalSettings.php but this
> >> appears to be something different. Any ideas?
> >
> > Sessions expire. So do cookies.
>
> I meant have you any ideas on how to extend them indefinitely? We
> don't need or want them to expire.
>
> Christiaan

Gary Kirk

Re: questions about linking

Rick DeNatale
On 4/25/06, Gary Kirk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Again, it's the question of how small or otherwise the wiki is. For
> smaller ones it would be easy to just use Special:Wantedpages to
> create articles for the most-linked to non-existent articles.

I think that there's a pretty wikid* chicken and egg problem in using
Special:Wantedpages to detect links which don't exist in order to add
them, and there is no Special:Wantedlinks as far as I know.

*I mistyped wicked and just couldn't NOT include the pun.

--
Rick DeNatale

Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site
http://www.mercuryspacecraft.com/

Re: questions about linking

Jan Steinman
> From: "Rick DeNatale" <[hidden email]>
>
> On 4/25/06, Rob Church <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 25/04/06, Elliott F. Cable <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> MediaWiki does not come default with any such feature.

> I'd think that there are some other questions about just what the
> right specifications for such a feature should be.
>
> For example, let's say that you don't have a CDROM article now but one
> gets added in the future.  Should existing pages be rescanned to
> generate auto-links?

Perhaps Tim should consider one of the many CamelCase wikis out there?

They have a certain appeal that is missing from [[explicitly linked]]
wikis, although I'm not aware of any CamelCase wikis that have the
feature set of MediaWiki. (Or else I'd probably be using it. :-)

(For those who aren't aware, in the original WikiWikiWeb invented by
Ward Cunningham, anything with InternalCaseChanges automagically
became a link. This is commonly referred to as "CamelCase" -- for the
"hump" in the middle -- wiki. See http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?
CamelCase .)

:::: Dateline: April 15, 2020: President Jenna Bush announces foreign
terrorist cells have been located near the Edmonton oil fields, and
offers "assistance" to Canada in the form of 150,000 US troops, now
massing along the border. ::::
:::: Jan Steinman, http://www.EcoReality.org ::::

Re: After login forward to page user was trying to browse to

Rotem Liss
I think I know what's the problem: the link in the messages ("You have
to login to edit", etc.) is [[Special:Userlogin|log in]]. I suggest to
use "You have to $1 to edit"  ($1 is "log in" in the local language,
linked to Userlogin with returnto) instead of "You have to
[[Special:Userlogin|log in]] to edit", etc.

Also, we can change the links parsing, so linking to
[[Special:Userlogin]] will also generate a "returnto" link. I don't
think it's a good idea.

On 25/04/06, Rotem Liss <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think I know what's the problem: the link in the messages ("You have
> to login to edit", etc.) is [[Special:Userlogin|log in]]. I suggest to
> use "You have to $1 to edit"  ($1 is "log in" in the local language,
> linked to Userlogin with returnto) instead of "You have to
> [[Special:Userlogin|log in]] to edit", etc.

That is what I intend to do. I was asking for a bug number so I know
what to close, since it's a known bug and I don't want to leave it
open once fixed.

Rob Church