[quick action - fun] Looking for Wikipedians, translators from English to ru, ja, ar, fr, es

[quick action - fun] Looking for Wikipedians, translators from English to ru, ja, ar, fr, es

Benoît Evellin (Trizek)
Hello translators!

Some fun today: would you like to participate to a quick game, in order to help the Research team?

That game will ask you to provide translations of Wikipedia articles' section titles. It only requires that you are an active Wikipedian, in order to provide the best equivalent translation, based on the context of Wikipedia articles. More instructions are given on the tool itself.

Clicking on the links below will send you to a tool on wmflabs.org
You can translate as much as you want and stop when you like. That's a quick action: it took me about 5 minutes to translate around 15 titles from English to French.

If you are familiar with other pairs of languages (Russian and French, Spanish and Japanese...), you can also translate! An advanced version, including instructions' translations, will be provided soon to reach at more people.

Enjoy!

Benoît
--
Benoît Evellin (Trizek)
Community Liaison

Re: [quick action - fun] Looking for Wikipedians, translators from English to ru, ja, ar, fr, es

Pols12

Hi!

Why don’t you provide a context for each phrase? I don’t see how it’s possible to translate a phrase (sometimes one word) without context. More over if you say it is a title but we don’t know what text is under this title…

Regards,
fr:Pols12

Le 01/06/2018 à 10:48, Benoît Evellin (Trizek) a écrit :
[...]

Whatamidoing (WMF)/Sherry Snyder
Hi, Pols12,

I believe that these are all common ==Section headings== from English Wikipedia articles.  Does that help?

On Sat, Jun 2, 2018 at 10:27 AM Pols12 <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Sherry Snyder (WhatamIdoing)
Community Liaison, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [quick action - fun] Looking for Wikipedians, translators from English to ru, ja, ar, fr, es

Pols12

Thank you for your answer. =)

Indeed, it seems to be section headings, but I don’t understand why the tool does not give section content.

For example, I had to translate “Operators”. I can’t be better than a dictionnary. And I don’t find useful to give all possible translations. If the section content would given, I would provide an appropriated translation.

For many phrases, I’ve copied it then pasted it into en.wp search engine to find the context again. This work is too time-consuming whereas the tool could be more helpful.

Le 03/06/2018 à 23:39, Whatamidoing (WMF)/Sherry Snyder a écrit :
[...]

The goal of that small game is to give the equivalences of that section title in your language. You can have some words that have only ont translation, others many. If you have a doubt, you can skip a translation.

We are not asking you to act like a dictionary. :) We are looking for human replies, based on their personal experience.

Best,
Benoît