"Can Wikipedia save the internet?": Wikipedia and political neutrality

"Can Wikipedia save the internet?": Wikipedia and political neutrality

Pine W
Hello colleagues,

Some of you might be interested in this news article: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/can-wikipedia-save-the-internet-a7380786.html

When we know that we have countless shortcomings in Wikimedia, I found it refreshing to hear that some aspects of our content and community are performing well and, on the whole, are serving the public interest.

Regards,

Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] "Can Wikipedia save the internet?": Wikipedia and political neutrality

Fred Bauder-2
Craig,

I don't expect you to do anything about it, but Hillary Clinton
presidential campaign, 2016 has been so much an object of political
editing by Clinton supporters that it looks more like an ad for
Hillary than a Wikipedia article.

Fred Bauder

On Wed, 2 Nov 2016 11:43:32 -0400
  Craig Newmark <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wikipedia is where facts go to live.
>

> It helps that folks on US Capitol Hill are receptive to quiet
>suggestions
> that Wikipedia avoid becoming a partisan battleground.
>
> Craig Newmark
>
> founder, craigslist
>
> On Nov 1, 2016 7:35 PM, "Olatunde Isaac" <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>
>> Hoi,
>>
>> Pine, thanks for sharing this article. I found the entire article
>>very
>> interesting. I am glad that Wikipedia is not seen as a vehicle for
>> political campaign. Sometimes, people create account on Wikipedia
>>with the
>> aim to use the encyclopedia for political campaign and a good number
>>of
>> them end up getting blocked either for POV pushing or other
>>disruptive
>> editing/behavior.
>>
>> BTW....I have a few question. Is it a good idea to protect a page
>>from
>> creation if there are indications that the overall intention of the
>>creator
>> is to use Wikipedia as a platform for political campaign? If yes,
>>how is
>> such protection necessary if the page is neutrally written?
>>
>> There was an incident that happened sometimes last year when an
>>article on
>> "Akinwunmi Ambode"  was protected from creation and unprotected
>>after his
>> election.
>>
>> Is this really a good idea?
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Isaac
>> Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld from Glo Mobile.

That was what I was thinking. After the election, when there is little
reason to have a article in that shape, would be a good time to
extensively review it.

Fred

On Wed, 2 Nov 2016 12:59:09 -0400
  Craig Newmark <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Fred, thanks!
>
> Worth reviewing, after people have recovered from the election. How
> about...reminding me two weeks from today. I might've recovered by
>then,
> seriously...
>
> Thanks!
>
> Craig Newmark
>
> founder, craigslist
>
> On Nov 2, 2016 12:44 PM, "FRED BAUDER" <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>
>> Craig,
>>
>> I don't expect you to do anything about it, but Hillary Clinton
>> presidential campaign, 2016 has been so much an object of political
>>editing
>> by Clinton supporters that it looks more like an ad for Hillary than
>> Wikipedia article.
>>
>> Fred Bauder
>>
>> On Wed, 2 Nov 2016 11:43:32 -0400
>>  Craig Newmark <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Wikipedia is where facts go to live.
>>>

>>> It helps that folks on US Capitol Hill are receptive to quiet
>>>suggestions
>>> that Wikipedia avoid becoming a partisan battleground.
>>>
>>> Craig Newmark
>>>
>>> founder, craigslist
>>>
>>> On Nov 1, 2016 7:35 PM, "Olatunde Isaac" <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hoi,

James Salsman-2
Fred and Craig,

Do you think a comparison of the effects of bias in individual
candidates' articles to the effects systemic bias towards trickle-down
austerity economics and the social implications thereof in light of
the WP:MEDRS-grade source at http://talknicer.com/ehip.pdf might
produce a helpful indication of where counter-advocacy efforts would
best be focused?

I'm un-crossposting this reply to just wiki-research-l and the
Education list because I've been told to not crosspost to more than
two lists.

On Wed, 2 Nov 2016 12:59:09 -0400 Craig Newmark <craig.newmark at
gmail.com> wrote:

>Fred, thanks!
>
> Worth reviewing, after people have recovered from the election. How
> about...reminding me two weeks from today. I might've recovered by
>then,
> seriously...
>
> Thanks!
>
> Craig Newmark
>
> founder, craigslist
>
> On Nov 2, 2016 12:44 PM, "FRED BAUDER" <fredbaud at fairpoint.net>
>wrote:
>
>> Craig,
>>
>> I don't expect you to do anything about it, but Hillary Clinton
>> presidential campaign, 2016 has been so much an object of political
>>editing
>> by Clinton supporters that it looks more like an ad for Hillary than
>> Wikipedia article.
>>
>> Fred Bauder
>>
>> On Wed, 2 Nov 2016 11:43:32 -0400
>>  Craig Newmark <craig.newmark at craigconnects.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Wikipedia is where facts go to live.
>>>

>>> It helps that folks on US Capitol Hill are receptive to quiet
>>>suggestions
>>> that Wikipedia avoid becoming a partisan battleground.
>>>
>>> Craig Newmark
>>>
>>> founder, craigslist
>>>
>>> On Nov 1, 2016 7:35 PM, "Olatunde Isaac" <reachout2isaac at gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hoi,

The subject affected in this way are "hot," in the news, sometimes
hourly, or involve major financial interests. Austerity economics is
as good an example as major political candidates. I think statistics
would show a relationship between news mentions and editing conflict,
and, also, the amount of profit associated with marketing of a
product.

Fred

On Wed, 2 Nov 2016 12:52:58 -0600
  James Salsman <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Fred and Craig,
>
> Do you think a comparison of the effects of bias in individual
> candidates' articles to the effects systemic bias towards
>trickle-down
> austerity economics and the social implications thereof in light of
> the WP:MEDRS-grade source at http://talknicer.com/ehip.pdf might
> produce a helpful indication of where counter-advocacy efforts would
> best be focused?
>
> I'm un-crossposting this reply to just wiki-research-l and the
> Education list because I've been told to not crosspost to more than
> two lists.
>
> On Wed, 2 Nov 2016 12:59:09 -0400 Craig Newmark <craig.newmark at
> gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>Fred, thanks!
>>
>> Worth reviewing, after people have recovered from the election. How
>> about...reminding me two weeks from today. I might've recovered by
>>then,
>> seriously...
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Craig Newmark
>>
>> founder, craigslist
>>
>> On Nov 2, 2016 12:44 PM, "FRED BAUDER" <fredbaud at fairpoint.net>
>>wrote:
>>
>>> Craig,
>>>
>>> I don't expect you to do anything about it, but Hillary Clinton
>>> presidential campaign, 2016 has been so much an object of political
>>>editing
>>> by Clinton supporters that it looks more like an ad for Hillary than
>>> Wikipedia article.
>>>
>>> Fred Bauder

Jon,

At the October Metrics and Activities meeting, you asked for feedback
on the Related Articles feature. Please have a look at this:
http://i.imgur.com/2aujFL7.png

The Making Work Pay Tax Credit was a provision of the Emergency
Economic Stabilization Act of 2008; possibly the most effective
provision responsible for ending and reversing the recession. And
perhaps for that reason, Republicans in Congress refused to renew it
in 2010 during the same series of negotiations in which they refused
to advance the infrastructure bills which did not pass from 2010 until
this year. I believe that the Making Work Pay Tax Credit is fully in
line with the Foundation's Mission and stated public policy
objectives, and so I have recommended that the Foundation endorse it:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/publicpolicy/2016-September/001527.html

The FairTax is a flat tax which is considered very popular among
Libertarians and Objectivists. However, it has never had much
congressional support, likely because nearly all economists think it
would lead to ruin because it is so regressive. Libertarian
presidential candidate Gary Johnson recently became very upset when
asked by a British newspaper reporter about this subject:
https://youtu.be/vvULsrjLdI4?t=3m12s

Do you think FairTax is a useful related article to suggest to people
interested in the Making Work Pay Tax Credit?

To what extent does systemic bias towards fringe Libertarian and
Objectivist economics influence the Related Articles feature?

On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 1:11 PM, FRED BAUDER <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The subject affected in this way are "hot," in the news, sometimes hourly,
> or involve major financial interests. Austerity economics is as good an
> example as major political candidates. I think statistics would show a
> relationship between news mentions and editing conflict, and, also, the
> amount of profit associated with marketing of a product.
>
> Fred
>

> On Wed, 2 Nov 2016 12:52:58 -0600
>  James Salsman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Fred and Craig,
>>
>> Do you think a comparison of the effects of bias in individual
>> candidates' articles to the effects systemic bias towards trickle-down
>> austerity economics and the social implications thereof in light of
>> the WP:MEDRS-grade source at http://talknicer.com/ehip.pdf might
>> produce a helpful indication of where counter-advocacy efforts would
>> best be focused?
>>
>> I'm un-crossposting this reply to just wiki-research-l and the
>> Education list because I've been told to not crosspost to more than
>> two lists.
>>
>> On Wed, 2 Nov 2016 12:59:09 -0400 Craig Newmark <craig.newmark at
>> gmail.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> Fred, thanks!
>>>
>>> Worth reviewing, after people have recovered from the election. How
>>> about...reminding me two weeks from today. I might've recovered by
>>> then,
>>> seriously...
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Craig Newmark
>>>
>>> founder, craigslist

Joe Corneli-3

On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 6:52 PM, James Salsman <[hidden email]> wrote:

Do you think
     a comparison of
                    the effects of bias
                                   in individual candidates' articles
                    the effects [of] systemic bias
                                   towards trickle-down austerity economics
                  and the social implications thereof
                  in light of the WP:MEDRS-grade source
                     at http://talknicer.com/ehip.pdf
                        ["Income inequality and health: A causal review"
                         by Pickett & Wilkinson:
                                   "The body of evidence strongly
                                    suggests that income inequality
                                    affects population health and
                                    wellbeing"]
    might produce a helpful indication of
                  where counter-advocacy efforts would best be focused
?

I know you didn't ask, but in my opinion, that sentence works better as un poème concret.

One "formal" answer to your question would draw on the research you cited, and use the ideas there to specify editorial and other attentional and effort investment policies.

Viz., "Notable topics have attracted attention over a sufficiently significant period of time."

This is quite clearly a "trickle-up" policy: things become notable because of all of the aggregated attention.  We can imagine a sort of crisis point at which background noise transforms into a conscious perception.  I suspect that's probably a mistaken metaphor, and that consciousness is more like mycorrhizae, like or the Hawkin-Ahmad theory of neurons, in which "the majority of the patterns recognized by a neuron act as predictions by slightly depolarizing the neuron without immediately generating an action potential."  So, yes, there is a crisis point but it's not the only interesting thing.

Any massive inequality (income, attention, political perspective) points to a potential crisis.  If one wanted to put forth a general policy, it might be to look for what happens before the crisis.  For example we could study Psy's 17th single, "Korea" (the 18th being "Gagnam style"), and notice how it anticipates a "breakthrough" both lyrically and in the cinematography of its music video.  Or for an example closer to home, look at how your sentence above was coiled like a snake ready to strike.

Still, I think (especially given the examples you've mentioned) it is also important to avoid false comparisons.  E.g. what relative weight should be given to Hillary Clinton's email server vs Donald Trump's treatment of women, or what have you.  On this point I think Bergson's theory of "false problems" repays study. http://hadideeb.com/journal/2016/7/24/bergson-false-problems.html