"Cartman Gets an Anal Probe" English Wikipedia's featured article today

"Cartman Gets an Anal Probe" English Wikipedia's featured article today

MZMcBride-2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Main_Page#Bad_choice_of_featured_article
is pretty good reading.

MZMcBride

Re: "Cartman Gets an Anal Probe" English Wikipedia's featured article today

Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada
Oh, that discussion again. Try harder, German style
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikipedia_%E2%80%93_Die_freie_Enzyklop%C3%A4die_1269203954464.png

http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia_Diskussion:Hauptseite/alt3&diff=prev&oldid=72174091

2012/2/7 MZMcBride <[hidden email]>

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Main_Page#Bad_choice_of_featured_article
> is pretty good reading.
>
> MZMcBride

Re: "Cartman Gets an Anal Probe" English Wikipedia's featured article today

Svip
On 7 February 2012 04:49, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Main_Page#Bad_choice_of_featured_article
> is pretty good reading.

The complaints usually sums as 'hey, great work on that article,
unfortunately, I am a bit uncomfortable with subject at hand, so let's
best not celebrate your contributions'.

Re: "Cartman Gets an Anal Probe" English Wikipedia's featured article today

Tim Starling-2
On 07/02/12 22:13, Svip wrote:
> On 7 February 2012 04:49, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Main_Page#Bad_choice_of_featured_article
>> is pretty good reading.
>
> The complaints usually sums as 'hey, great work on that article,
> unfortunately, I am a bit uncomfortable with subject at hand, so let's
> best not celebrate your contributions'.

Some FAs should never be shown on the main page.

Nothing in the FA criteria says anything about the subject of the
article: such as whether the subject is of broad interest or has
educational merit. Such criteria should be considered for choosing
articles to show on the main page. The main page should show the best
of Wikipedia, not the ugliest loopholes in its inclusion criteria.

I was involved in some deletion debates in 2002 and 2003. Nobody knew
at the time that if we said "OK, let's allow this" then some day the
fancruft we were allowing would be featured on the main page, with the
only criteria being that a fan puts enough effort into their style and
citations.

-- Tim Starling

Re: "Cartman Gets an Anal Probe" English Wikipedia's featured article today

Fred Bauder-2

> Some FAs should never be shown on the main page.
>
> Nothing in the FA criteria says anything about the subject of the
> article: such as whether the subject is of broad interest or has
> educational merit. Such criteria should be considered for choosing
> articles to show on the main page. The main page should show the best
> of Wikipedia, not the ugliest loopholes in its inclusion criteria.
>
> I was involved in some deletion debates in 2002 and 2003. Nobody knew
> at the time that if we said "OK, let's allow this" then some day the
> fancruft we were allowing would be featured on the main page, with the
> only criteria being that a fan puts enough effort into their style and
> citations.
>
> -- Tim Starling

My attention was drawn to this issue only after I had just watched,

Miss Teacher Bangs a Boy

It was so funny and good. And very informative. All cops, parents,
teachers, and especially young boys, should watch it.

Colorado, for some reason, has been the scene of several of these
incidents. Not that South Park has anything to do with Colorado, of
course.

Casting aside the infantile slogan, "Wikipedia is not censored", I think
having the pilot of South Park on the Main Page is quite appropriate; the
subject is significant.

Fred

Re: "Cartman Gets an Anal Probe" English Wikipedia's featured article today

HaeB
2012/2/7 Svip <[hidden email]>:
> On 7 February 2012 04:49, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Main_Page#Bad_choice_of_featured_article
>> is pretty good reading.
>
> The complaints usually sums as 'hey, great work on that article,
> unfortunately, I am a bit uncomfortable with subject at hand, so let's
> best not celebrate your contributions'.

Actually, the English Wikipedia's Featured Article Director has stated
himself that some articles will not be featured on the main page
(although he prefers to keep that list short and it currently consists
only of the article "Jenna Jameson"):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Raul654/archive25#Wikipedia:NOTCENSORED_and_the_Main_Page

2012/2/7 HaeB <[hidden email]>

> 2012/2/7 Svip <[hidden email]>:
> > On 7 February 2012 04:49, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Main_Page#Bad_choice_of_featured_article
> >> is pretty good reading.
> >
> > The complaints usually sums as 'hey, great work on that article,
> > unfortunately, I am a bit uncomfortable with subject at hand, so let's
> > best not celebrate your contributions'.
>
> Actually, the English Wikipedia's Featured Article Director

What is that?

> has stated
> himself

Why are not that decissions taken under community consensus?

> that some articles will not be featured on the main page
> (although he prefers to keep that list short and it currently consists
> only of the article "Jenna Jameson"):
>

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Raul654/archive25#Wikipedia:NOTCENSORED_and_the_Main_Page

I read here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Contact_us that
"Wikipedia has no editorial board". Why is there a person deciding what
can't be shown in the main page?

Re: "Cartman Gets an Anal Probe" English Wikipedia's featured article today

Mike Christie
On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 8:50 AM, emijrp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2012/2/7 HaeB <[hidden email]>
>
>  > Actually, the English Wikipedia's Featured Article Director
>
> What is that?
>
> > has stated
> > himself
>
> Why are not that decissions taken under community consensus?
>
>  > that some articles will not be featured on the main page
> > (although he prefers to keep that list short and it currently consists
> > only of the article "Jenna Jameson"):
> >

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Raul654/archive25#Wikipedia:NOTCENSORED_and_the_Main_Page
> >

> I read here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Contact_us that
> "Wikipedia has no editorial board". Why is there a person deciding what
> can't be shown in the main page?

There is currently an RfC on both the nature and occupancy of the role.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Featured_articles/2012_RfC_on_FA_leadership

Mike

Re: "Cartman Gets an Anal Probe" English Wikipedia's featured article today

Thomas Dalton
On Feb 7, 2012 1:50 PM, "emijrp" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Why are not that decissions taken under community consensus?
>

> > that some articles will not be featured on the main page
> > (although he prefers to keep that list short and it currently consists
> > only of the article "Jenna Jameson"):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Raul654/archive25#Wikipedia:NOTCENSORED_and_the_Main_Page

> I read here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Contact_us that
> "Wikipedia has no editorial board". Why is there a person deciding what
> can't be shown in the main page?

He's been doing it for years and has never screwed up badly enough for the
community to take the job away from him. It's as simple as that. The
Wikipedia community can be uncharacteristically pragmatic at times!

Re: "Cartman Gets an Anal Probe" English Wikipedia's featured article today

David Gerard-2
On 7 February 2012 17:03, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> He's been doing it for years and has never screwed up badly enough for the
> community to take the job away from him. It's as simple as that. The
> Wikipedia community can be uncharacteristically pragmatic at times!

I note that even the front-page featuring of
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gropecunt_Lane made almost no impact in
the outside world.

- d.

Re: "Cartman Gets an Anal Probe" English Wikipedia's featured article today

Fred Bauder-2
> On 7 February 2012 17:03, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> He's been doing it for years and has never screwed up badly enough for
>> the
>> community to take the job away from him. It's as simple as that. The
>> Wikipedia community can be uncharacteristically pragmatic at times!
>

> I note that even the front-page featuring of
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gropecunt_Lane made almost no impact in
> the outside world.
>

> - d.

Yet one cannot see in the dark...

Fred

Re: "Cartman Gets an Anal Probe" English Wikipedia's featured article today

K. Peachey-2
On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 10:51 PM, Fred Bauder <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Casting aside the infantile slogan, "Wikipedia is not censored", I think
> having the pilot of South Park on the Main Page is quite appropriate; the
> subject is significant.
>
> Fred

Really, It's not that much different than the Simpson episodes there
have been on the MP, Just this one has a more "adult"ish name attached
to it...

On 08/02/12 09:09, K. Peachey wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 10:51 PM, Fred Bauder <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Casting aside the infantile slogan, "Wikipedia is not censored", I think
>> having the pilot of South Park on the Main Page is quite appropriate; the
>> subject is significant.
>>
>> Fred
>
> Really, It's not that much different than the Simpson episodes there
> have been on the MP, Just this one has a more "adult"ish name attached
> to it...

I also opposed the Simpsons features, for much the same reason.

-- Tim Starling