"Chinese Wikimania 2006 to be held in Hong Kong"

"Chinese Wikimania 2006 to be held in Hong Kong"

Erik Moeller-2
Just seen on Wikinews:

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Chinese_Wikimania_2006_to_be_held_in_Hong_Kong

Looks like a great effort. Is it official that there are now national
Wikimania conferences in addition to the international one?

Erik

Re: "Chinese Wikimania 2006 to be held in Hong Kong"

Patrick, Brad
News to me.  I am especially interested in the (as far as I know)
unlicensed use of WMF copyright material.  Did someone ask and I missed
it?

And someone we know will probably have a fit re: design guidelines.

Re: "Chinese Wikimania 2006 to be held in Hong Kong"

R.O.C
i was also wondering whether it is fit to use "wikimania" for local or
regional wikimedia conferences that are not organized directly by the
foundation. what's the position of the foundation about the use of
"wikimania"?

roc (User:R.O.C)
--

2006/3/16, Patrick, Brad <[hidden email]>:

> News to me.  I am especially interested in the (as far as I know)
> unlicensed use of WMF copyright material.  Did someone ask and I missed
> it?
>
> And someone we know will probably have a fit re: design guidelines.

Angela-5
I'm pleased to see a conference in China is being planned, but this
and similar events really need to use a different name, both to
prevent confusion with the actual Wikimania, and to avoid the need for
each event to get permission from Wikimedia to use the name.

Angela.

Re: "Chinese Wikimania 2006 to be held in Hong Kong"

R.O.C
what if using "wikimedia", for example. "chinese wikimedia conference"?

just to clarify that "chinese" here means ethnic chinese around the world,
not limited to the people's republic of china or mainland china, as what
"china" nowadays often refers to. a number of users of zh.wikipedia (along
with other wikimedia projects in chinese language) from mainland china,
taiwan, hong kong, malaysia, canada, united states, germany, etc. have
expressed interests to attend.

the chinese community decided to hold the conference in hong kong, which
enjoys convenient transportation and high degree of autonomy from the
central government in beijing. among other candidate cities were beijing,
shanghai, and taipei. blocking of wikipedia in PRC poses
concerns/difficulties for promoting wikimedia and organizing a conference
within mainland china. taipei has a highly devoted local community but there
is a difficulty also from politics that entry permits generally are not
issued to mainland chinese.

-roc (User:R.O.C)

On 3/16/06, R. O. C <[hidden email]> wrote:
> what if using "wikimedia", for example. "chinese wikimedia conference"?

That seems a better solution than using "Wikimania" for more than one
conference. I expect the Trademark Committee would be happy to grant
the rights for the use of "Wikimedia" in that context, though soufron
et al would need to confirm that.

Angela.

Re: "Chinese Wikimania 2006 to be held in Hong Kong"

Florence Devouard-3
Angela wrote:
> I'm pleased to see a conference in China is being planned, but this
> and similar events really need to use a different name, both to
> prevent confusion with the actual Wikimania, and to avoid the need for
> each event to get permission from Wikimedia to use the name.
>
> Angela.

I agree. We are approaching people, sponsors and so, with the idea that
Wikimania is an ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL conference of our projects. And in
some texts, it also says it is organised by the Wikimedia Foundation.
It will be very confusing if many wikimanias are being organised per
year, some with 400 participants from many countries, others with 100
participants at a national level or why not even some wikimeet with 20
people. This will mean a wikimania is an meetup for some wiki users. No
more.

ant

Re: "Chinese Wikimania 2006 to be held in Hong Kong"

Florence Devouard-3
I hope we'll also see some chinese in Boston as well :-)
I could not see the information in the news. Do you have any idea how
many people you could gather ?

ant

R.O.C wrote:

> what if using "wikimedia", for example. "chinese wikimedia conference"?
>
> just to clarify that "chinese" here means ethnic chinese around the world,
> not limited to the people's republic of china or mainland china, as what
> "china" nowadays often refers to. a number of users of zh.wikipedia (along
> with other wikimedia projects in chinese language) from mainland china,
> taiwan, hong kong, malaysia, canada, united states, germany, etc. have
> expressed interests to attend.
>
> the chinese community decided to hold the conference in hong kong, which
> enjoys convenient transportation and high degree of autonomy from the
> central government in beijing. among other candidate cities were beijing,
> shanghai, and taipei. blocking of wikipedia in PRC poses
> concerns/difficulties for promoting wikimedia and organizing a conference
> within mainland china. taipei has a highly devoted local community but there
> is a difficulty also from politics that entry permits generally are not
> issued to mainland chinese.
>
> -roc (User:R.O.C)
>
> 2006/3/16, Angela <[hidden email]>:
>
>> I'm pleased to see a conference in China is being planned, but this
>>and similar events really need to use a different name, both to
>>prevent confusion with the actual Wikimania, and to avoid the need for
>>each event to get permission from Wikimedia to use the name.
>>
>>Angela.

Re: "Chinese Wikimania 2006 to be held in Hong Kong"

SJ-5
On 3/16/06, Angela <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 3/16/06, R. O. C <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > what if using "wikimedia", for example. "chinese wikimedia conference"?
>
> That seems a better solution than using "Wikimania" for more than one
> conference. I expect the Trademark Committee would be happy to grant
> the rights for the use of "Wikimedia" in that context, though soufron
> et al would need to confirm that.

And as with "Wikimedia Conference Netherlands".  What is the standard
way of asking this of the trademark committee?

Anthere writes:
> I hope we'll also see some chinese in Boston as well :-)

Oh yes... :-)  Even some who will make it to both events, and provide
cross-pollination.

SJ

Re: "Chinese Wikimania 2006 to be held in Hong Kong"

Titan Deng
Hi, Ladies and all,

I am Theodoranian from zh.wikipedia. I went to Frankfurt last year, and
now I am thinking to go to Boston to join the 2006 wikimania.

I want to explain the "2006 Chinese wikimania" to you.
Actually, this annual conference is first-time-held this year, since
Zh.wikipedians from
China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and else places thought that there should be a
meetup.

The formal name of this meetup is "中文維基年會" in Chinese (which literally means
"Chinese Wikimedia Annual Conference"), and we don't have an appropriate
English
name for it yet. Now, we are still thinking what would be good. However,
somebody
translated the "CWAC" into English as "Chinese wikimania". There seems to be
a cultural
gap which misleads the translator to regard "Wiki-meetup" as "wikimania".

Just for your information.

Theodoanian

On 3/16/06, Patrick, Brad <[hidden email]> wrote:
> News to me.  I am especially interested in the (as far as I know)
> unlicensed use of WMF copyright material.  Did someone ask and I missed
> it?

Is there a FAQ about this for the unenlightened?  What classes of uses
require a license, and what classes do not? What's the right way to
get a license to use logos?

In the beginning there were Logos,
    SJ

Re: "Chinese Wikimania 2006 to be held in Hong Kong"

SJ-5
Theodoranian : cool; I hope to see you in Boston.  And best wishes for
a great event in HK.

> There seems to be a cultural gap which misleads the translator to regard "Wiki-meetup" as "wikimania".

Well, any time you get too many wikipedians together, something manic
is bound to happen...

SJ

On 3/16/06, THD <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, Ladies and all,
>
> I am Theodoranian from zh.wikipedia. I went to Frankfurt last year, and
> now I am thinking to go to Boston to join the 2006 wikimania.
>
> I want to explain the "2006 Chinese wikimania" to you.
> Actually, this annual conference is first-time-held this year, since
> Zh.wikipedians from
> China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and else places thought that there should be a
> meetup.
>
> The formal name of this meetup is "中文維基年會" in Chinese (which literally means
> "Chinese Wikimedia Annual Conference"), and we don't have an appropriate
> English
> name for it yet. Now, we are still thinking what would be good. However,
> somebody
> translated the "CWAC" into English as "Chinese wikimania". There seems to be
> a cultural
> gap which misleads the translator to regard "Wiki-meetup" as "wikimania".
>
> Just for your information.
>
> Theodoanian
>
> 2006/3/16, Anthere <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > I hope we'll also see some chinese in Boston as well :-)
> > I could not see the information in the news. Do you have any idea how
> > many people you could gather ?
> >
> > ant
> >
> > R.O.C wrote:
> > > what if using "wikimedia", for example. "chinese wikimedia conference"?
> > >
> > > just to clarify that "chinese" here means ethnic chinese around the
> > world,
> > > not limited to the people's republic of china or mainland china, as what
> > > "china" nowadays often refers to. a number of users of zh.wikipedia(along
> > > with other wikimedia projects in chinese language) from mainland china,
> > > taiwan, hong kong, malaysia, canada, united states, germany, etc. have
> > > expressed interests to attend.
> > >
> > > the chinese community decided to hold the conference in hong kong, which
> > > enjoys convenient transportation and high degree of autonomy from the
> > > central government in beijing. among other candidate cities were
> > beijing,
> > > shanghai, and taipei. blocking of wikipedia in PRC poses
> > > concerns/difficulties for promoting wikimedia and organizing a
> > conference
> > > within mainland china. taipei has a highly devoted local community but
> > there
> > > is a difficulty also from politics that entry permits generally are not
> > > issued to mainland chinese.
> > >
> > > -roc (User:R.O.C)

++SJ

Re: "Chinese Wikimania 2006 to be held in Hong Kong"

R.O.C
i think so too, there is a huge cultural and language gap, many chinese
users have misunderstood the meaning of "wikimania" as simply a short word
for "wikimedia conference" or "wikimedia meetup" instead of "INTERNATIONAL
wikimedia conference" (of wikimedia foundation). most of them were not aware
that "wikimania" is a brand name and should be a trademark for the
foundation.

the chinese name for the chinese conference "中文維基年會" can be more precisely
translated as "chinese language wikipedia/wikimedia annual conference".
since the english name is seeked largely to serve international
attenders/readers, i think that suggestions/advice from international users
on the mailing list would probably be helpful and productive. if you have
comments, please kindly send it to the wikizh-l list at
[hidden email].

(i personally still favor "chinese wikimedia conference" if authorized by
the foundation, which seems likely.)

the planning of the chinese conference is still in the early stage. it's not
clear how many would attend, but personally i would not be surprised by a
number between 20 and 100. it will be held on august 26-27 after wikimania
in boston.

roc (User:R.O.C)
--

在 2006/3/16,THD <[hidden email]> 撰寫:

> Hi, Ladies and all,
>
> I am Theodoranian from zh.wikipedia. I went to Frankfurt last year, and
> now I am thinking to go to Boston to join the 2006 wikimania.
>
> I want to explain the "2006 Chinese wikimania" to you.
> Actually, this annual conference is first-time-held this year, since
> Zh.wikipedians from
> China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and else places thought that there should be a
> meetup.
>
> The formal name of this meetup is "中文維基年會" in Chinese (which literally
means
> "Chinese Wikimedia Annual Conference"), and we don't have an appropriate
> English
> name for it yet. Now, we are still thinking what would be good. However,
> somebody
> translated the "CWAC" into English as "Chinese wikimania". There seems to
be

> a cultural
> gap which misleads the translator to regard "Wiki-meetup" as "wikimania".
>
> Just for your information.
>
> Theodoanian
>
> 2006/3/16, Anthere <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > I hope we'll also see some chinese in Boston as well :-)
> > I could not see the information in the news. Do you have any idea how
> > many people you could gather ?
> >
> > ant
> >
> > R.O.C wrote:
> > > what if using "wikimedia", for example. "chinese wikimedia
conference"?

> > > just to clarify that "chinese" here means ethnic chinese around the
> > world,
> > > not limited to the people's republic of china or mainland china, as
what
> > > "china" nowadays often refers to. a number of users of zh.wikipedia
(along
> > > with other wikimedia projects in chinese language) from mainland
china,
> > > taiwan, hong kong, malaysia, canada, united states, germany, etc. have
> > > expressed interests to attend.
> > >
> > > the chinese community decided to hold the conference in hong kong,
which
> > > enjoys convenient transportation and high degree of autonomy from the
> > > central government in beijing. among other candidate cities were
> > beijing,
> > > shanghai, and taipei. blocking of wikipedia in PRC poses
> > > concerns/difficulties for promoting wikimedia and organizing a
> > conference
> > > within mainland china. taipei has a highly devoted local community but
> > there
> > > is a difficulty also from politics that entry permits generally are
not

> > > issued to mainland chinese.
> > >
> > > -roc (User:R.O.C)

Re: "Chinese Wikimania 2006 to be held in Hong Kong"

Delphine Ménard
A few random thoughts about this.

I am extremely happy that the Asian continents, and the Chinese
particularly, are working on such a project.

As a matter of fact, I believe that local "Wikimanias" or local
"Wikimedia conferences" should be held on a very regular basis, in
order to strengthen the community around the world and regionally.

I have been thinking about these extensively thanks to Effeitsanders
who has launched the idea of the "Wikimania reloaded" (working name)
in the Netherlands and has many times asked for my input, which I
scarcely gave (I didn't know what to say). So here are my thoughts
about the whole idea, now that I have thought about it.

I believe regional conferences should be planned with the Foundation
for many reasons:
1) I find it a bit sad having two conferences (or three, as is) so
close together. The idea of having a "worldwide conference" should not
be impeeded by other conferences around the world, because it:
a) spreads the attendance
b) spreads the sponsors
c) spreads the speakers
d) somehow defeats the whole point of having a world-wide conference
(why would I go to Boston or Frankfurt if there is a conference nearer
to me three weeks afterwards?)
And anyway, it is using the trademarks, so the Foundation should have
an input in it, especially where local chapters are not present, so as
to make sure that the name and spirit is used in the right way (not to
mention the logos ;-) )

In the end, I believe working together allows synergy. Working each in
our own little corner thins out the efforts. I urge the organizers of
the Chinese conference to get in touch with the Board to explain what
they want to do and how, so that we can coordinate all of this.

2) I am more in favour of an "Olympic Games" type thing, where we'd
have say Wikimania as an annual worldwide wikimedia conference once
every 4 years (or 2, or 6, I don't know) and then in the years in
between as many local conferences as there are people ready to
organize them.

That's for the grand scheme.

On the more specific matter of trademark and logo use for the Chinese
Conference:

1) Why use the Wikipedia logo if it is a Wikimedia conference?
2) I've changed the licence on the poster to a dual licence
{{copyrightbyWikimedia]] for the logo and CC-BY-SA for the design.

Best,

Delphine
(who still hopes to see Chinese and Dutch in Boston :-( )

--
~notafish

Re: "Chinese Wikimania 2006 to be held in Hong Kong"

Walter van Kalken

>Delphine
>(who still hopes to see Chinese and Dutch in Boston :-( )
>
>--
>~notafish

Would love to come to Boston .... but no funds .... anyone wants to
sponsor me, last year I was to white to get a sponsorship? Wikimania
reloaded in nl: seems planned about a week before I come to nl: for my
brothers marriage. So I requested the date be moved. I hope so.

a question to the Chinese .... would non Chinese be welcome? As Hong
Kong is a lot more doable for me. Cheap trips from BKK!

Walter/Waerth

Re: "Chinese Wikimania 2006 to be held in Hong Kong"

W. Guy Finley
Personally I think you guys are overreacting a bit.  When I sit down in a
few weeks and watch the College World Series, the Little League World Series
or the World Series of Poker for that matter I'm not suddenly surprised when
I don't see Major League Baseball teams there.  Similarly they don't call it
"The Major League Baseball World Series", it's just the "World Series" and
everyone knows what THE World Series is just like I think people will know
what THE Wikimania is.

It pretty clearly is billed as "Chinese Wikimania" which to me implies, it's
well, er, Chinese --  not the world-wide Wikimania.  Now, "Wikimania --
China 2006" might be confusing indicating that the world-wide Wikimania is
being held in China that year.  I don't think "Chinese Wikimania" has that
effect nor would "Danish Wikimania" or "American Wikimania", etc.

Finally, as someone who has had my fill mediating China-related disputes on
EN if the greater China editors managed to get together and agree on meeting
in Hong Kong I think they could call it the World Series of Wikimania for
all I care because I think that act of getting all those different groups
together is far more important than whatever they call it.

--Guy  (EN User: Wgfinley)

On 3/16/06 2:30 AM, "Anthere" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Angela wrote:
>> I'm pleased to see a conference in China is being planned, but this
>> and similar events really need to use a different name, both to
>> prevent confusion with the actual Wikimania, and to avoid the need for
>> each event to get permission from Wikimedia to use the name.
>>
>> Angela.
>
> I agree. We are approaching people, sponsors and so, with the idea that
> Wikimania is an ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL conference of our projects. And in
> some texts, it also says it is organised by the Wikimedia Foundation.
> It will be very confusing if many wikimanias are being organised per
> year, some with 400 participants from many countries, others with 100
> participants at a national level or why not even some wikimeet with 20
> people. This will mean a wikimania is an meetup for some wiki users. No
> more.
>
> ant

Re: "Chinese Wikimania 2006 to be held in Hong Kong"

Titan Deng
Hello, All,

It's me again.

Why hold Chinese meetup just 3 weeks after the 2006 Wikimania? Because
we assume that there will be someone attending 2006 wikimania, and we
want that one to share what he heard and saw in Boston with local
wikipedians in OUR OWN LANGUAGE. If considerate enough, you shall know
that it's not easy for people from PRC to go to the United States.
Even in Hong Kong, I am worried about there would be some people can't
come to join for visa and financial issues. And, please don't think
it's easy to talk, to write, to share in a totally different language.

Chinese wikipedia community is still young and small. Chinese
wikipedians are seperated by historic and political factors. Taking me
as an example, in the past, I couldn't imagine I can join a project
and work together with people from the "Hostile the Other side of the
Strait". Then, we argued and had many conflicts in the Chinese
Wikipedia. And now, we are trying to see each other to make friends,
to share the knowledge of interllectual property rights, the new
discoveries of wiki technologies, and to exchange opinions of managing
and promoting the wikipedia and all the projects which Wikimedia
foundation hosts, in our conservative society and even in an
environment where PRC government banned Wikipedia.

I admit the importance to work together. But I don't think we should
do the same thing together all the time. After the wikimania in
Boston, it's time to spread to strenthen the power of Wikimedia.

Sincerely,

Theodoranian

2006/3/16, Delphine Ménard <[hidden email]>:

> A few random thoughts about this.
>
> I am extremely happy that the Asian continents, and the Chinese
> particularly, are working on such a project.
>
> As a matter of fact, I believe that local "Wikimanias" or local
> "Wikimedia conferences" should be held on a very regular basis, in
> order to strengthen the community around the world and regionally.
>
> I have been thinking about these extensively thanks to Effeitsanders
> who has launched the idea of the "Wikimania reloaded" (working name)
> in the Netherlands and has many times asked for my input, which I
> scarcely gave (I didn't know what to say). So here are my thoughts
> about the whole idea, now that I have thought about it.
>
> I believe regional conferences should be planned with the Foundation
> for many reasons:
> 1) I find it a bit sad having two conferences (or three, as is) so
> close together. The idea of having a "worldwide conference" should not
> be impeeded by other conferences around the world, because it:
> a) spreads the attendance
> b) spreads the sponsors
> c) spreads the speakers
> d) somehow defeats the whole point of having a world-wide conference
> (why would I go to Boston or Frankfurt if there is a conference nearer
> to me three weeks afterwards?)
> And anyway, it is using the trademarks, so the Foundation should have
> an input in it, especially where local chapters are not present, so as
> to make sure that the name and spirit is used in the right way (not to
> mention the logos ;-) )
>
> In the end, I believe working together allows synergy. Working each in
> our own little corner thins out the efforts. I urge the organizers of
> the Chinese conference to get in touch with the Board to explain what
> they want to do and how, so that we can coordinate all of this.
>
> 2) I am more in favour of an "Olympic Games" type thing, where we'd
> have say Wikimania as an annual worldwide wikimedia conference once
> every 4 years (or 2, or 6, I don't know) and then in the years in
> between as many local conferences as there are people ready to
> organize them.
>
> That's for the grand scheme.
>
> On the more specific matter of trademark and logo use for the Chinese
> Conference:
>
> 1) Why use the Wikipedia logo if it is a Wikimedia conference?
> 2) I've changed the licence on the poster to a dual licence
> {{copyrightbyWikimedia]] for the logo and CC-BY-SA for the design.
>
> Best,
>
> Delphine
> (who still hopes to see Chinese and Dutch in Boston :-( )
>
> --
> ~notafish

Re: "Chinese Wikimania 2006 to be held in Hong Kong"

KJ-3
關於大家的問題,我稍微跟大家做一下說明。

第一,為什麼我們要辦中文年會?根據淡江大學的研究指出,參與中文維基的人主要來自中國大陸、台灣,還有香港,世界各地也有許多華文使用人口在參與中文維基的計畫。我們來自不同國家,大家平常主要以各種即時通訊軟體聯絡,非常希望能見面,這是第一個目的,並希望藉由中文維基年會來解決華文環境所遇到的問題。

第二,為什麼我們的時間選得和2006國際維基媒體大會那麼近?這是考慮到並非所有的中文維基人都有能力--特別是經濟方面--去參加國際維基媒體大會,所以我們將時間定在國際維基媒體大會之後,加上考慮到大部分中文維基人都是沒有經濟能力的學生,因此將時間定於暑假期間。舉辦的確切時間並非籌備小組自行決定,而是開放讓所有維基人投票選出的時間。而選在國際維基媒體大會之後,也正好可以讓有能力去國際維基媒體大會的維基人們,來和無法參與的維基人們分享經驗。

第三,是否結合中文維基人的力量來幫忙國際維基媒體大會,會是節省人力的方法?我的回答是,今天即使中文維基人參與了國際維基媒體大會的籌備工作,我們仍然會舉辦中文的維基年會。

第四,關於所有的中文維基年會籌辦過程和會議記錄,完全公開在維基百科上。
http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:2006%E4%B8%AD%E6%96%87%E7%B6%AD%E5%9F%BA%E5%B9%B4%E6%9C%83

我預計會去參加波士頓的國際維基媒體大會,非常期待與大家見面,希望大家能給中文維基年會更多建議。謝謝。

PS:If you cann't read this latter very well.....that is one of the reasons
why Chinese Wikipedians need a Chinese Wikipedian's Conference.

--
KaurJmeb(KJ)
中文維基百科:http://zh.wikipedia.org

On 3/16/06, KJ <[hidden email]> wrote:
http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:2006%E4%B8%AD%E6%96%87%E7%B6%AD%E5%9F%BA%E5%B9%B4%E6%9C%83

> 我預計會去參加波士頓的國際維基媒體大會,非常期待與大家見面,希望大家能給中文維基年會更多建議。謝謝。
>
> PS:If you cann't read this latter very well.....that is one of the reasons
> why Chinese Wikipedians need a Chinese Wikipedian's Conference.
>

> --
> KaurJmeb(KJ)
> 中文維基百科:http://zh.wikipedia.org
> KJ在中文維基百科的日子:http://www.wretch.cc/blog/kaurjmeb
> 大家一起來玩吧~

Just for the record. I'm French, I live in Germany, and I write here
in English. So language problems are not exactly something I am a
stranger to.

I am sorry if my email came across wrongly. I *am* in favour of a
Wikimedia Conference in China, as well as the existence of a local
chapter if anyone wants to launch one. I just wish that we could do
this *together*.

And yes, I am *damn* aware of the problems Chinese people may
encounter entering the United States. I am just concerned that knowing
they have a conference three weeks later, they won't bug *us* (the
FOundation) enough to make things change and allow them to participate
*also* in Boston.

Cheers,

Delphine

--
~notafish

KJ wrote:

> 關於大家的問題,我稍微跟大家做一下說明。
>
> 第一,為什麼我們要辦中文年會?根據淡江大學的研究指出,參與中文維基的人主要來自中國大陸、台灣,還有香港,世界各地也有許多華文使用人口在參與中文維基的計畫。我們來自不同國家,大家平常主要以各種即時通訊軟體聯絡,非常希望能見面,這是第一個目的,並希望藉由中文維基年會來解決華文環境所遇到的問題。
>
> 第二,為什麼我們的時間選得和2006國際維基媒體大會那麼近?這是考慮到並非所有的中文維基人都有能力--特別是經濟方面--去參加國際維基媒體大會,所以我們將時間定在國際維基媒體大會之後,加上考慮到大部分中文維基人都是沒有經濟能力的學生,因此將時間定於暑假期間。舉辦的確切時間並非籌備小組自行決定,而是開放讓所有維基人投票選出的時間。而選在國際維基媒體大會之後,也正好可以讓有能力去國際維基媒體大會的維基人們,來和無法參與的維基人們分享經驗。
>
> 第三,是否結合中文維基人的力量來幫忙國際維基媒體大會,會是節省人力的方法?我的回答是,今天即使中文維基人參與了國際維基媒體大會的籌備工作,我們仍然會舉辦中文的維基年會。
>
> 第四,關於所有的中文維基年會籌辦過程和會議記錄,完全公開在維基百科上。
> http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:2006%E4%B8%AD%E6%96%87%E7%B6%AD%E5%9F%BA%E5%B9%B4%E6%9C%83
>
> 我預計會去參加波士頓的國際維基媒體大會,非常期待與大家見面,希望大家能給中文維基年會更多建議。謝謝。
>
> PS:If you cann't read this latter very well.....that is one of the reasons
> why Chinese Wikipedians need a Chinese Wikipedian's Conference.
>

> --
> KaurJmeb(KJ)

KJ... Absolutely no one questions the fact chinese editors want a
conference :-) It is *good* that your community is now big enough and
united enough to do one.
Our only worries are that there might be a confusion of names between
conferences (this has been cleared up) and that three meetings are done
nearly at the same time.

At least in Europe, meetings are frequent, and I am sure will be more
and more frequent as time.
Most of these meetings are restricted to one language only. German
editors had several meetings (in german). Dutch editors had several
meetings (in dutch/english). French editors had several meetings as well
(in french)...
Of course, chinese editors *should* have meetings as well.

Also, you must absolutely believe we understand the language problem.
Many of those posting on this list are not primarily english speaking.
In the recent posters, Delphine, Yann, Jean-Christophe, Jean-Baptiste,
myself are French. Erik, Mathias are Germans. Gerard and Walter are
Dutch. Aphaia is Japanese. Shizao is Chinese. Some of us are good in
english. Others are not very good. And we all belong to communities
where many people do not speak english at all. French people generally
are *bad* in english. Those of us who can speak english can help bridge
between communities.

I hope you (and other chinese who speak english) will post here more
often. We need you and your input. Last year in Frankfurt, Theodorian
and others came and told us about the chinese community. You may do the
same. And I'll tell you about the french ;-)

ant