"Contributing to Wikipedia" brochure draft

"Contributing to Wikipedia" brochure draft

Sage Ross
We're nearing the completion of a project to create a new introductory
brochure for helping newcomers to get started on Wikipedia. It's the
new version of the old "Welcome to Wikipedia" brochure.

There are still some refinements being made, and there's still time to
make changes based on feedback, but it's starting to come into its
final form. Check it out and leave suggestions, please!

I'll keep this page updated with the latest PDF as we get new
revisions from the designer we're working with:

https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Welcome_to_Wikipedia_%28Bookshelf%29/2013_edition/draft

Cheers,

Sage Ross
Communications Contractor, Wikipedia Education Program

Re: "Contributing to Wikipedia" brochure draft

Richard Symonds-3
Sage, is there any chance of producing this in a format which can be
printed out in A4, rather than the US system? It'd really cut down on costs
in the rest of the world and would mean that we wouldn't have to redesign
the booklet to A4 (and we could use cheap A4 paper rather than the more
expensive letter-sized type)  :-)

Richard Symonds
Wikimedia UK
0207 065 0992

On 10 December 2013 19:46, Sage Ross <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We're nearing the completion of a project to create a new introductory
> brochure for helping newcomers to get started on Wikipedia. It's the
> new version of the old "Welcome to Wikipedia" brochure.
>
> There are still some refinements being made, and there's still time to
> make changes based on feedback, but it's starting to come into its
> final form. Check it out and leave suggestions, please!
>
> I'll keep this page updated with the latest PDF as we get new
> revisions from the designer we're working with:
>

> https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Welcome_to_Wikipedia_%28Bookshelf%29/2013_edition/draft
>
> Cheers,
>
> Sage Ross
> Communications Contractor, Wikipedia Education Program
> Wikimedia Foundation

Re: "Contributing to Wikipedia" brochure draft

LiAnna Davis
Hi Richard,

See the discussion of this on the talk page when Stevie made the same
comment:
https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Welcome_to_Wikipedia_(Bookshelf)/2013_edition/draft#General_comments

It's actually designed for B5, which should be an international standard
paper size that all printers should be able to print in (and is not a
standard US printing size). Have you found this not to be the case? Are
printers in the UK not able to print on B5? If so, we can look at resizing
it, but it was specifically chosen as something that was an international
standard.

LiAnna

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 11:04 AM, Richard Symonds <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sage, is there any chance of producing this in a format which can be
> printed out in A4, rather than the US system? It'd really cut down on costs
> in the rest of the world and would mean that we wouldn't have to redesign
> the booklet to A4 (and we could use cheap A4 paper rather than the more
> expensive letter-sized type)  :-)
>
> Richard Symonds
> Wikimedia UK
> 0207 065 0992

> movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who
> operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).
>
> *Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal control
> over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.*
>

> On 10 December 2013 19:46, Sage Ross <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > We're nearing the completion of a project to create a new introductory
> > brochure for helping newcomers to get started on Wikipedia. It's the
> > new version of the old "Welcome to Wikipedia" brochure.
> >
> > There are still some refinements being made, and there's still time to
> > make changes based on feedback, but it's starting to come into its
> > final form. Check it out and leave suggestions, please!
> >
> > I'll keep this page updated with the latest PDF as we get new
> > revisions from the designer we're working with:
> >

> https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Welcome_to_Wikipedia_%28Bookshelf%29/2013_edition/draft
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Sage Ross
> > Communications Contractor, Wikipedia Education Program
> > Wikimedia Foundation

LiAnna Davis
Wikipedia Education Program Communications Manager
Wikimedia Foundation
http://education.wikimedia.org
(415) 839-6885 x6649