"Guest Post: Librarians meet Wikipedians: collaboration not competition!"

"Guest Post: Librarians meet Wikipedians: collaboration not competition!"

Michael Peel-4
On the UK Web Focus blog, written by Simon Bains from John Rylands Library in Manchester, including talking about the 'Wikilounge' that Fiona ran at the library, and the plans for a future pilot project that we're currently talking about:

http://ukwebfocus.wordpress.com/2012/04/03/guest-post-librarians-meet-wikipedians-collaboration-not-competition/

Thanks,
Mike

Re: "Guest Post: Librarians meet Wikipedians: collaboration not competition!"

Richard Symonds-3
Fantastic! John Rylands is an incredible place - it's more like a
cathedral than a library.

Richard Symonds
Office&  Development Manager
Wikimedia UK
+44 (0) 207 065 0992
--
Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited, a Charitable Company
Registered in England and Wales, No: 6741827. Charity No:1144513 Office: 4th Floor, Development House,  56-64 Leonard Street,

On 03/04/2012 10:24, Michael Peel wrote:

> On the UK Web Focus blog, written by Simon Bains from John Rylands Library in Manchester, including talking about the 'Wikilounge' that Fiona ran at the library, and the plans for a future pilot project that we're currently talking about:
>
> http://ukwebfocus.wordpress.com/2012/04/03/guest-post-librarians-meet-wikipedians-collaboration-not-competition/
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Re: "Guest Post: Librarians meet Wikipedians: collaboration not competition!"

David Gerard-2
On 4 April 2012 12:11, Richard Symonds <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Fantastic! John Rylands is an incredible place - it's more like a cathedral
> than a library.

When I heard Alain de Botton's "atheist temple" idea, my first thought
was "this building ... will it have a lot of *books* in it?"

- d.

Re: "Guest Post: Librarians meet Wikipedians: collaboration not competition!"

HJ Mitchell
(Apologies for replying out of sync)

It's great to hear that they're still interested in pursuing the partnership. I thought the Wikilounge was very successful, and I've long thought that we don't do enough in Manchester, despite having a community there that could do wonders with a push in the right direction. Developing the relationship with the university/library could be a great springboard for other things.

Harry

On 4 April 2012 12:11, Richard Symonds <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Fantastic! John Rylands is an incredible place - it's more like a cathedral
> than a library.

When I heard Alain de Botton's "atheist temple" idea, my first thought
was "this building ... will it have a lot of *books* in it?"

- d.

Re: "Guest Post: Librarians meet Wikipedians: collaboration not competition!"

Jon Davies
Yes - great isn't it!

How was Coventry for you?

Quoting HJ Mitchell <[hidden email]>:

> (Apologies for replying out of sync)
>
> It's great to hear that they're still interested in pursuing the
> partnership. I thought the Wikilounge was very successful, and I've
> long thought that we don't do enough in Manchester, despite having a
> community there that could do wonders with a push in the right
> direction. Developing the relationship with the university/library
> could be a great springboard for other things.
>
> Harry
>

> ________________________________

Jon Davies - Chief Executive Wikimedia UK.  07976 935 986
tweet @jonatreesdavies

Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited.
Wiki UK Ltd is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England
and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513
Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House,  56-64 Leonard Street,
London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom.
Telephone (0044) 207 065 0990.
Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation (who

Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk

Re: "Guest Post: Librarians meet Wikipedians: collaboration not competition!"

HJ Mitchell
Of course, there are other areas in dire need of attention - I'm amazed that we do nothing the other side of the Pennines, for example.

Coventry was brilliant, thanks. I think we recruited a few new editors, got some articles written and some images donated. I wrote a brief report at http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Reports/2012/March#GLAM.

Harry

> It's great to hear that they're still interested in pursuing the partnership. I thought the Wikilounge was very successful, and I've long thought that we don't do enough in Manchester, despite having a community there that could do wonders with a push in the right direction. Developing the relationship with the university/library could be a great springboard for other things.
>
> Harry

Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects). It is an independent non-profit organization with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.

Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk