"Inside Wikimedia" Video

Casey Brown-3
Hey translators!

There's a new video currently in final production that will be used to
help inform people about the Wikimedia Foundation and its staff.  You
can help translate the transcript in the same way as the fundraising
video[1], by translating its subtitles.

Translations are requested by January 14.  Although the first priority
is for translations in de, es, fr, ja, zh-hans, zh-hant[2], all
languages are appreciated.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to respond to this
e-mail or visit us on IRC/Skype.  The video can be translated at on
Meta-Wiki.[3]

[1]http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2007/Video_with_Jimmy_subtitles/Translations
[2]Deutsch (de), Español (es), Français (fr), 日本語 (ja), ‪中文(简体)‬
(zh-hans), and ‪中文(繁體)‬ (zh-hant)
[3]http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Translation_requests/WMF/Inside_Wikimedia_Video_Dec_2008

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---

Re: "Inside Wikimedia" Video

Casey Brown-3
On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 6:53 PM, Casey Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Translations are requested by January 14.  Although the first priority
> is for translations in de, es, fr, ja, zh-hans, zh-hant[2], all
> languages are appreciated.

We now have de, es, and fr done, in addition to da, hu, it, nb, nl, pt, sv, tr.

However, we could use some help with ja, zh-hans, and zh-hant if
anyone is able. :-)

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: "Inside Wikimedia" Video

Takashi OTA-4
Hi lists,

I propose putting a movie onto dotsub or somewhere else
instead of translating on a wiki.

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 8:53 AM, Casey Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
> There's a new video currently in final production that will be used to
> help inform people about the Wikimedia Foundation and its staff.  You
> can help translate the transcript in the same way as the fundraising
> video[1], by translating its subtitles.

Could we watch the video in advance to translate it?
Or could we have a transcript with time code such as:

Fundraising 2007/Video with Jimmy subtitles/Translations/en
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2007/Video_with_Jimmy_subtitles/Translations/source

Or, if there are notes how many seconds they take to say sentences,
that also may be useful.

I remember when I've worked on making subtitles of the "Truth in
Numbers" trailer on dotsub.
http://dotsub.com/view/644496b9-2053-4ce1-ac11-aff05091985e

We have very limited spaces to put words on subtitles.
Making subtitles is restricted how long they take to pronounce certain
phrases. I think it's completely different job as we _translate_
written sentences.
Sometimes we have to drop some words to be translated due to shortage of time.
In addition, there are quite a few rules and tips to
make subtitles (at least in Japanese.)
Just translating the original into other languages makes not so much
as a subtitle, IMHO.

How about putting the movie on the dotsub or something like that?

--Takashi

Re: "Inside Wikimedia" Video

Mark W-4
Hear hear!

I must say i finished translating the words about 10 days ago, but I agree with Takashi on this. For instance:
  • I don't know how long every subtitle will be "on screen" - Dutch people read slower then they hear so I must shorten some sentences
  • I don't know how people "mean" what they say: are they reffering to what the previous speaker said or is it just a fragment?
  • Translating sentences is not the same as translating the *meaning* of what someone says, especially in subtitling.
Subtitling has some rules here in Holland too - even worse: there even are educational institutions for it. With the movie and timecodes I could change the subtitles so that they actually fit on the screen and are to be read in the limited time.

Mark Wesbeek
nl-wikipedia

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 8:53 AM, Casey Brown <cbrown1023.ml@gmail.com> wrote:
> There's a new video currently in final production that will be used to
> help inform people about the Wikimedia Foundation and its staff.  You
> can help translate the transcript in the same way as the fundraising
> video[1], by translating its subtitles.

Could we watch the video in advance to translate it?
Or could we have a transcript with time code such as:

Fundraising 2007/Video with Jimmy subtitles/Translations/en
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2007/Video_with_Jimmy_subtitles/Translations/source

Or, if there are notes how many seconds they take to say sentences,
that also may be useful.

I remember when I've worked on making subtitles of the "Truth in
Numbers" trailer on dotsub.
http://dotsub.com/view/644496b9-2053-4ce1-ac11-aff05091985e

We have very limited spaces to put words on subtitles.
Making subtitles is restricted how long they take to pronounce certain
phrases. I think it's completely different job as we _translate_
written sentences.
Sometimes we have to drop some words to be translated due to shortage of time.
In addition, there are quite a few rules and tips to
make subtitles (at least in Japanese.)
Just translating the original into other languages makes not so much
as a subtitle, IMHO.

How about putting the movie on the dotsub or something like that?

--Takashi

Re: "Inside Wikimedia" Video

Casey Brown-3
On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 10:48 AM, Takashi OTA
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I propose putting a movie onto dotsub or somewhere else
> instead of translating on a wiki.

That's a problem because the video hasn't been publicly released yet.
However, if you need the video to translate, just send me a message
offlist and I'll get you a link.

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023