"Not in the other language, Wiktionary edition"

"Not in the other language, Wiktionary edition"

Amir Sarabadani-2
Hey,
During Wikimania, Shani told me the famous "Not in the other language" tool
[1] doesn't work for Wiktionary (because the tool is based on Wikidata but
Wiktionary uses something called Cognate). On my way to the airport, I
wrote a hacky small thing to make things easier for Wiktionary users that
you can find in [2]. Here's an example, list of French nouns that exist in
German Wiktionary but not in English [3]. The code can be found in [4] and
needs lots of love if anyone is interested.

HTH

[1]: https://tools.wmflabs.org/not-in-the-other-language/
[2]: https://tools.wmflabs.org/dexbot/tools/nitolw
[3]:
https://tools.wmflabs.org/dexbot/tools/nitolw/index.php?fromLang=de&toLang=en&category=Substantiv+%28Franz%C3%B6sisch%29&limit=50
[4]:https://github.com/Ladsgroup/NITOLW

Best
--
Amir (he/him)

Re: "Not in the other language, Wiktionary edition"

Noé Gasparini
Hello Amir,

Thank you for your effort! That's pretty cool.

Last year, in an effort to convince Wiktionaries they are our allies, a dev
from the Wikidata team spent some time to built a similar tool:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiktionary_Cognate_Dashboard
https://wdcm.wmflabs.org/Wiktionary_CognateDashboard/

The "I miss you" tool is locally updated by Otourly in French Wiktionary:
https://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/Utilisateur:Otourly/IMISSU

The development went to a certain point last year, but your help may be
useful to improve the dashboard if you want to.

Have a good day,

Noé

Le ven. 23 août 2019 à 15:28, Amir Sarabadani <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> Hey,
> During Wikimania, Shani told me the famous "Not in the other language" tool
> [1] doesn't work for Wiktionary (because the tool is based on Wikidata but
> Wiktionary uses something called Cognate). On my way to the airport, I
> wrote a hacky small thing to make things easier for Wiktionary users that
> you can find in [2]. Here's an example, list of French nouns that exist in
> German Wiktionary but not in English [3]. The code can be found in [4] and
> needs lots of love if anyone is interested.
>
> HTH
>
> [1]: https://tools.wmflabs.org/not-in-the-other-language/
> [2]: https://tools.wmflabs.org/dexbot/tools/nitolw
> [3]:
>
> https://tools.wmflabs.org/dexbot/tools/nitolw/index.php?fromLang=de&toLang=en&category=Substantiv+%28Franz%C3%B6sisch%29&limit=50
> [4]:https://github.com/Ladsgroup/NITOLW
>
> Best
> --
> Amir (he/him)

Re: "Not in the other language, Wiktionary edition"

Valerio Barbaking
Cool! Thank you Amir :)

—Valerio Barbaking

Il giorno ven 23 ago 2019 alle 15:48 Noé Gasparini <[hidden email]>
ha scritto:

> Hello Amir,
>
> Thank you for your effort! That's pretty cool.
>
> Last year, in an effort to convince Wiktionaries they are our allies, a dev
> from the Wikidata team spent some time to built a similar tool:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiktionary_Cognate_Dashboard
> https://wdcm.wmflabs.org/Wiktionary_CognateDashboard/
>
> The "I miss you" tool is locally updated by Otourly in French Wiktionary:
> https://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/Utilisateur:Otourly/IMISSU
>
> The development went to a certain point last year, but your help may be
> useful to improve the dashboard if you want to.
>
> Have a good day,
>
> Noé
>

> Le ven. 23 août 2019 à 15:28, Amir Sarabadani <[hidden email]> a
> écrit :
>
> > Hey,
> > During Wikimania, Shani told me the famous "Not in the other language"
> tool
> > [1] doesn't work for Wiktionary (because the tool is based on Wikidata
> but
> > Wiktionary uses something called Cognate). On my way to the airport, I
> > wrote a hacky small thing to make things easier for Wiktionary users that
> > you can find in [2]. Here's an example, list of French nouns that exist
> in
> > German Wiktionary but not in English [3]. The code can be found in [4]
> and
> > needs lots of love if anyone is interested.
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > [1]: https://tools.wmflabs.org/not-in-the-other-language/
> > [2]: https://tools.wmflabs.org/dexbot/tools/nitolw
> > [3]:
> >

> https://tools.wmflabs.org/dexbot/tools/nitolw/index.php?fromLang=de&toLang=en&category=Substantiv+%28Franz%C3%B6sisch%29&limit=50
> > [4]:https://github.com/Ladsgroup/NITOLW
> >
> > Best
> > --
> > Amir (he/him)

Valerio Barbaking Iannucci
Coordinatore area didattica - Lazio
Mob: +39 340 3459046 | Skype: Valerio.iannucci84
Wikimedia Italia