"Try the free Wikipedia app" banners

Ori Livneh
We appear to be running a banner campaign on the mobile web site, driving
people to download the mobile app:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/?banner=Aug2015_app_banner_2
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/?banner=Aug2015_app_banner_1

Campaign definition:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:CentralNotice&subaction=noticeDetail&notice=Android_app

This isn't cool. This isn't us. We don't drive people from an open platform
to a closed one.

Re: "Try the free Wikipedia app" banners

Gergo Tisza
Probably T103896 <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T103896> but in that
case something was misconfigured (those should only show in Finland).

On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 8:30 AM, Ori Livneh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We appear to be running a banner campaign on the mobile web site, driving
> people to download the mobile app:
>
> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/?banner=Aug2015_app_banner_2
> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/?banner=Aug2015_app_banner_1
>
> Campaign definition:
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:CentralNotice&subaction=noticeDetail&notice=Android_app
>
> This isn't cool. This isn't us. We don't drive people from an open platform
> to a closed one.

Re: "Try the free Wikipedia app" banners

MZMcBride-2
Ori Livneh wrote:

>We appear to be running a banner campaign on the mobile web site, driving
>people to download the mobile app:
>
>https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/?banner=Aug2015_app_banner_2
>https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/?banner=Aug2015_app_banner_1
>
>[...]
>
>This isn't cool. This isn't us. We don't drive people from an open
>platform to a closed one.

It's been discussed previously both on this list and elsewhere, but for
better or worse the Wikimedia Foundation has an entire "Mobile apps" team
that pretty much exclusively works on closed platforms, as I understand
it. They've gone as far as to abandon Gerrit in favor of GitHub. I agree
with the general sentiment of your post, but the issues here are deeper.

MZMcBride

Re: "Try the free Wikipedia app" banners

Greg Grossmeier-2
<quote name="MZMcBride" date="2015-09-01" time="19:47:39 -0400">
> It's been discussed previously both on this list and elsewhere, but for
> better or worse the Wikimedia Foundation has an entire "Mobile apps" team
> that pretty much exclusively works on closed platforms, as I understand
> it. They've gone as far as to abandon Gerrit in favor of GitHub.

For the record, it's just the iOS team that moved to Github. Android is
still in Gerrit. The iOS move was for CI reasons (summary: we (WMF
RelEng) can't support the OSX platform for build and test cases with any
ease, especially vis a vis other priorities).

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/q/status:merged+project:apps/android/wikipedia+branch:master,n,z

Greg

--
| Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
| identi.ca: @greg                A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |

Re: "Try the free Wikipedia app" banners

Oliver Keyes-4
What was the publicising of the campaign prior to its launch?

It should be pretty apparent to people with experience within the
movement that this would be both entirely novel and pretty
controversial. I'd expect some amount of transparency around it (a
phabricator ticket is not, in and of itself, transparency). To
contrast, with search when we make /experimental/ modifications to the
user experience of a tiny sample (through A/B testing) we not only
list those changes in phabricator but also send explicit mailing list
announcements - and those effect a smaller chunk of our user base on a
platform.

On 1 September 2015 at 22:51, Greg Grossmeier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> <quote name="MZMcBride" date="2015-09-01" time="19:47:39 -0400">
>> It's been discussed previously both on this list and elsewhere, but for
>> better or worse the Wikimedia Foundation has an entire "Mobile apps" team
>> that pretty much exclusively works on closed platforms, as I understand
>> it. They've gone as far as to abandon Gerrit in favor of GitHub.
>
> For the record, it's just the iOS team that moved to Github. Android is
> still in Gerrit. The iOS move was for CI reasons (summary: we (WMF
> RelEng) can't support the OSX platform for build and test cases with any
> ease, especially vis a vis other priorities).
>
> https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/q/status:merged+project:apps/android/wikipedia+branch:master,n,z
>
> Greg
>
> --
> | Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
> | identi.ca: @greg                A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |

Oliver Keyes
Count Logula

Re: "Try the free Wikipedia app" banners

Ori Livneh
On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 8:30 AM, Ori Livneh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We appear to be running a banner campaign on the mobile web site, driving
> people to download the mobile app:

Just in time!
http://techcrunch.com/2015/09/01/death-to-app-install-interstitials/

Re: "Try the free Wikipedia app" banners

Matthew Flaschen-2
On 09/01/2015 11:30 AM, Ori Livneh wrote:

> We appear to be running a banner campaign on the mobile web site, driving
> people to download the mobile app:
>
> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/?banner=Aug2015_app_banner_2
> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/?banner=Aug2015_app_banner_1
>
> Campaign definition:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:CentralNotice&subaction=noticeDetail&notice=Android_app
>
> This isn't cool. This isn't us. We don't drive people from an open platform
> to a closed one.

I don't necessarily think it's a great idea to push people from web to
apps either, especially when we also have people working on mobile web.

I also do most of my mobile Wikipedia browsing on mobile web.

That said, I think that assessment is overly critical.

* The Android mobile app is fully free and open source (obvious, since
all of our stuff is, but worth re-iterating).

* They've done a great job on the app.  In particular, they've
implemented features that are easier on app (or only feasible there),
like a user-friendly saved pages list and a nice UI in general.

* I don't know this for sure, but I would guess the app works on
fully-FOSS versions of Android (e.g. Replicant), since an updated
version is in the fully-free app store
(https://f-droid.org/wiki/page/org.wikipedia).  If it doesn't work on
Replicant (or some similar fully-FOSS Android), that does seem like
something important to address.

* No one is going to install proprietary software as a result of this
ad.  It only shows to people who are *already* running Android and asks
them to install free and open source software.

It's no different then recommending to a Windows user that they install
Inkscape because it's a great piece of free and open source software.

Finally, this is indeed only configured for Finland.

Matt Flaschen

On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 10:09 PM, Ori Livneh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just in time!
> http://techcrunch.com/2015/09/01/death-to-app-install-interstitials/

Interstitials are full-page ads where you have to click a link to get to
the actual content. These are normal banners.
More importantly, as you can see in the Phabricator task, they are an
experiment to measure if it is possible to make more people use the app.
Experiments are good. For one thing, they can turn out negative, in which
case we will have been spared a  philosophical debate about openness.

Re: "Try the free Wikipedia app" banners

Ricordisamoa
Il 02/09/2015 07:39, Matthew Flaschen ha scritto:

> On 09/01/2015 11:30 AM, Ori Livneh wrote:
>> We appear to be running a banner campaign on the mobile web site,
>> driving
>> people to download the mobile app:
>>
>> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/?banner=Aug2015_app_banner_2
>> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/?banner=Aug2015_app_banner_1
>>
>> Campaign definition:
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:CentralNotice&subaction=noticeDetail&notice=Android_app
>>

>> This isn't cool. This isn't us. We don't drive people from an open
>> platform
>> to a closed one.
>
> I don't necessarily think it's a great idea to push people from web to
> apps either, especially when we also have people working on mobile web.
>
> I also do most of my mobile Wikipedia browsing on mobile web.
>
> That said, I think that assessment is overly critical.
>
> * The Android mobile app is fully free and open source (obvious, since
> all of our stuff is, but worth re-iterating).
>
> * They've done a great job on the app.  In particular, they've
> implemented features that are easier on app (or only feasible there),
> like a user-friendly saved pages list and a nice UI in general.
>
> * I don't know this for sure, but I would guess the app works on
> fully-FOSS versions of Android (e.g. Replicant), since an updated
> version is in the fully-free app store
> (https://f-droid.org/wiki/page/org.wikipedia).  If it doesn't work on
> Replicant (or some similar fully-FOSS Android), that does seem like
> something important to address.
>
> * No one is going to install proprietary software as a result of this
> ad.  It only shows to people who are *already* running Android and
> asks them to install free and open source software.
>
> It's no different then recommending to a Windows user that they
> install Inkscape because it's a great piece of free and open source
> software.
>
> Finally, this is indeed only configured for Finland.

Linus' birthplace...

On 2 September 2015 at 01:50, Gergo Tisza <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 10:09 PM, Ori Livneh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Just in time!
>> http://techcrunch.com/2015/09/01/death-to-app-install-interstitials/
>

> Interstitials are full-page ads where you have to click a link to get to
> the actual content. These are normal banners.
> More importantly, as you can see in the Phabricator task, they are an
> experiment to measure if it is possible to make more people use the app.
> Experiments are good. For one thing, they can turn out negative, in which
> case we will have been spared a  philosophical debate about openness.

Is this experiment also measuring what those users do on the app,
versus what the same users (or a users with a similar background) did
on the mobile web? Is it a formal A/B test?

We seem to be operating under the belief that merely switching users
is, in and of itself, a victory. It's not; we still have the same
number of users at the end. A victory is increased activity /due/ to
the features on the app that cannot be created outside that closed
ecosystem.

Oliver Keyes
Count Logula

Re: "Try the free Wikipedia app" banners

Oliver Keyes-4
For what it's worth, the line " For one thing, they can turn out
negative, in which case we will have been spared a  philosophical
debate about openness." comes off as very snarky and also entirely the
wrong approach. Whether something is /within our ethos/ should not be
something we discuss after doing it, and even then, only if we find
out that it's effective. To put that another way, "sure it might not
be ethical by our standards but hey let's give it a whirl anyway".
That's totally dissonant from our movement and organisation's
principles.

--
Oliver Keyes
Count Logula

Re: "Try the free Wikipedia app" banners

Tilman Bayer
On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 8:10 PM, Oliver Keyes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What was the publicising of the campaign prior to its launch?
>
> It should be pretty apparent to people with experience within the
> movement that this would be both entirely novel and pretty
> controversial.

As mentioned on the Phabricator ticked, this is by no means the first
banner campaign inviting installation of an app.

In June/July last year, there was a global campaign announcing the
launch of the new Android app (like now, shown on mobile web for
Android devices only):
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Random&banner=Wpapp2014Androidmobile_1&uselang=en&force=1
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Random&banner=Wpapp2014Androidmobile_2&uselang=en&force=1
(also ran in a few other languages besides English)
I don't recall it being controversial back then.

And in 2013, the late Commons app was promoted in a similar campaign
on desktop and mobile:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Random&banner=CommonsAppnonmobilewp&uselang=en&force=1
(on desktop Wikipedia)
https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Random&banner=CommonsAppnonmobilecommons&uselang=en&force=1
(on Commons)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Random&banner=AndroidCommonsApp&uselang=en&force=1
(mobile Wikipedia on Android devices)

> I'd expect some amount of transparency around it (a
> phabricator ticket is not, in and of itself, transparency).

For those not familiar with the existing processes around banners, WMF
staff and community members who use this indeed highly prominent space
have been coordinating for years on this page:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/CentralNotice/Calendar
Quite a lot of people who care about banner use are watching it for
controversial or problematic uses
(https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=CentralNotice/Calendar&action=info#mw-pageinfo-watchers
), discussion happens on the talk page there or is escalated to other
venues.
I see that the current banners were indeed listed there last week
before the launch.

> contrast, with search when we make /experimental/ modifications to the
> user experience of a tiny sample (through A/B testing) we not only
> list those changes in phabricator but also send explicit mailing list
> announcements - and those effect a smaller chunk of our user base on a
> platform.
Perhaps you could post some advice at
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:CentralNotice about how people
running banners could learn from the WMF Discovery team in that
respect?

On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 8:30 AM, Ori Livneh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We appear to be running a banner campaign on the mobile web site, driving
> people to download the mobile app:
>
> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/?banner=Aug2015_app_banner_2
> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/?banner=Aug2015_app_banner_1

The links don't work for me (maybe because I'm not in Finland right
now); you can append "force=1" to make them show regardless of
targeting:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/?banner=Aug2015_app_banner_2&force=1
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/?banner=Aug2015_app_banner_1&force=1

--
Tilman Bayer
Senior Analyst

On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 6:19 AM, Oliver Keyes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For what it's worth, the line " For one thing, they can turn out
> negative, in which case we will have been spared a  philosophical
> debate about openness." comes off as very snarky and also entirely the
> wrong approach.

Debates about the Wikimedia ethos tend to be highly subjective and thus
costly both in terms of time and emotional resources. Measuring whether
banners work is fairly simple and objective. It makes sense to perform the
cheapest prerequisite checks first, to minimize total cost.

Re: "Try the free Wikipedia app" banners

Brandon Harris

> On Sep 2, 2015, at 11:17 AM, Gergo Tisza <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 6:19 AM, Oliver Keyes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> For what it's worth, the line " For one thing, they can turn out
>> negative, in which case we will have been spared a  philosophical
>> debate about openness." comes off as very snarky and also entirely the
>> wrong approach.
>

> Debates about the Wikimedia ethos tend to be highly subjective and thus
> costly both in terms of time and emotional resources. Measuring whether
> banners work is fairly simple and objective. It makes sense to perform the
> cheapest prerequisite checks first, to minimize total cost.
        Part of the cost of business in being transparent and actually _having_ an ethos is that these conversations need to be had, regardless of their cost.

        And I seriously doubt that there's any benefit to these banner ads at all.  Converting a small number of people from using the web version to an app version is meaningless when operating at this scale.  We're actually probably _reducing_ the number of readers overall because many will simply say "screw this if you're serving me interstitials".

        This was a bad idea.  It remains a bad idea.  It looks bad on the movement.

---
Brandon Harris :: [hidden email] :: made of steel wool and whiskey

Re: "Try the free Wikipedia app" banners

Ryan Lane-2
On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 10:50 PM, Gergo Tisza <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 10:09 PM, Ori Livneh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Just in time!
> > http://techcrunch.com/2015/09/01/death-to-app-install-interstitials/
>

> Interstitials are full-page ads where you have to click a link to get to
> the actual content. These are normal banners.
> More importantly, as you can see in the Phabricator task, they are an
> experiment to measure if it is possible to make more people use the app.
> Experiments are good. For one thing, they can turn out negative, in which
> case we will have been spared a  philosophical debate about openness.

I don't think anyone would consider Wikimedia's donation banners "normal".
On mobile they take up the entire screen, which makes them as bad as
interstitials. On the desktop they obscure the vast majority of the site,
even on relatively large screens. They are a frequent cause for complaint
on social media when they run.

- Ryan

On 2 September 2015 at 14:17, Gergo Tisza <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 6:19 AM, Oliver Keyes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> For what it's worth, the line " For one thing, they can turn out
>> negative, in which case we will have been spared a  philosophical
>> debate about openness." comes off as very snarky and also entirely the
>> wrong approach.
>

> Debates about the Wikimedia ethos tend to be highly subjective and thus
> costly both in terms of time and emotional resources. Measuring whether
> banners work is fairly simple and objective. It makes sense to perform the
> cheapest prerequisite checks first, to minimize total cost.

And without any answer to my question about whether this was an actual
A/B test, and whether you're measuring overall user utility rather
than 'did they download it', this is also highly subjective and costly
both in terms of time and emotional resources.

But you're missing...well, two important points. First, as Brandon
says, these debates /have to happen/. Identifying that something is a
*right* thing to do, an *ethical* thing to do, cannot happen after
that thing has been done. And second: costly in terms of time? Costly
in terms of emotional resources? This thread is costly on both, and it
is also an inevitable consequence of not having the discussion in
advance.

Yes, having discussions takes time and energy. And sometimes you don't
like the outcome. Those are a given outcome of talking to people. But
they are things we do /regardless/ of whether we feel like not talking
to people would be easier (not talking to people is always easier) and
they are things that, nine times out of ten, are actually a massive
saving on time and emotional energy. Because it means you can have
conversations with people exploring the ethical costs and benefits of
doing an action, and then do (or not do) that action, rather than do
that action and then deal with /outraged/ people who are approaching
the situation not as a hypothetical but as something that actually
happened.

And it's apparent, from the replies to this thread, that this decision
did not save on emotional energy - it just offloaded it. We have
multiple staffers and volunteers sat here sending messages that boil
down to "this does not represent me. This is not the movement I work
towards". That's not a tremendously pleasant experience for us. We
have an expectation on us, as human beings and movement members and
staffers, that we will consider the /systemic/ impact of what we
choose to do and not do. Describing talking about it in advance as too
much of an emotional load makes it appear that that evaluation was not
adequately performed.

Oliver Keyes
Count Logula

wrote:

>>> For what it's worth, the line " For one thing, they can turn out
>>> negative, in which case we will have been spared a  philosophical
>>> debate about openness." comes off as very snarky and also entirely the
>>> wrong approach.
>>

>> Debates about the Wikimedia ethos tend to be highly subjective and thus
>> costly both in terms of time and emotional resources. Measuring whether
>> banners work is fairly simple and objective. It makes sense to perform
the
>> cheapest prerequisite checks first, to minimize total cost.
>
>         Part of the cost of business in being transparent and actually
_having_ an ethos is that these conversations need to be had, regardless of
their cost.

>         And I seriously doubt that there's any benefit to these banner
ads at all.  Converting a small number of people from using the web version
to an app version is meaningless when operating at this scale.  We're
actually probably _reducing_ the number of readers overall because many
will simply say "screw this if you're serving me interstitials".

Agree that that's a downside that needs to be considered, for any banner
actually (be it an invitation to install an app, to donate, or to
participate in a photo contest).  On the other hand, we may very well also
be losing many readers by inactivity here, because they would prefer to
read Wikipedia in an app and are not aware of ours. See e.g. the recently
posted results from the strategy consultation
<https://blog.wikimedia.org/2015/08/27/strategy-potential-mobile-multimedia-translation/>
:

*"Mobile-related comments reveal an opportunity to improve our existing
mobile offerings for both editors and readers and raise awareness about our
native apps. Participants (mostly anonymous users) urged us to 'make an
app,' when one is already available for iOS and Android devices."*

(there's more detail in this slide
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:2015_Strategy_Consultation_Report.pdf&page=44>
)

BTW, since we are talking about the impact on Finnish Wikipedia users, the
link to the community notification there:
https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Kahvihuone_(uutiset)#Running_banner_to_promote_Wikipedia_app_downloads
It
doesn't show any discussion so far; has there been feedback from Finnish
readers in other venues?

--
Tilman Bayer
Senior Analyst

On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 12:13 PM, Oliver Keyes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> And without any answer to my question about whether this was an actual
> A/B test, and whether you're measuring overall user utility rather
> than 'did they download it', this is also highly subjective and costly
> both in terms of time and emotional resources.
>
> But you're missing...well, two important points. First, as Brandon
> says, these debates /have to happen/. Identifying that something is a
> *right* thing to do, an *ethical* thing to do, cannot happen after
> that thing has been done. And second: costly in terms of time? Costly
> in terms of emotional resources? This thread is costly on both, and it
> is also an inevitable consequence of not having the discussion in
> advance.

Even ignoring the "is it right and ethical" debate, there's a pretty large
amount of research over the past 6 or so months that show this is a bad
idea. I don't understand why there's even a need for a debate. People hate
interstitials. I know the reasoning is "well, this isn't an interstitial",
but if it walks and quacks like a duck...

Part of good research is using the results of already existing research.

- Ryan

Re: "Try the free Wikipedia app" banners

Antoine Musso-3
Le 01/09/2015 17:30, Ori Livneh a écrit :

> We appear to be running a banner campaign on the mobile web site, driving
> people to download the mobile app:
>
> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/?banner=Aug2015_app_banner_2
> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/?banner=Aug2015_app_banner_1
>
> Campaign definition:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:CentralNotice&subaction=noticeDetail&notice=Android_app
>
> This isn't cool. This isn't us. We don't drive people from an open platform
> to a closed one.

There other Android apps distribution system, the favourite of mine
being [F-Droid] which host only Free and Open Source Software.

The system is open source, all apps are open source and they work hard
on stripping unfree code and notifying privacy infringement.

I have proposed the app back in October 2014 and they apparently keep it
updated. If you look at the app page, they link to the Privacy policy
and Terms of use and warns about the app tracking activity:

https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=org.wikipedia

Maybe we can advertise that plaform instead?  Will have to get in touch
with them since our banner could well overwhelm their infrastructure.

[F-Droid] https://f-droid.org/

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso

On 09/02/2015 03:55 PM, Ryan Lane wrote:
> Even ignoring the "is it right and ethical" debate, there's a pretty large
> amount of research over the past 6 or so months that show this is a bad
> idea.

[citation needed]

Matt Flaschen