"Wikipedia, Critical Point of View" conference in Amsterdam

"Wikipedia, Critical Point of View" conference in Amsterdam

Mike Peel
... is apparently happening later this month, with participation from
a number of people from the UK:
http://networkcultures.org/wpmu/cpov/program/amsterdam-program/

Does anyone know anything about this?

Mike

Re: "Wikipedia, Critical Point of View" conference in Amsterdam

Thomas Dalton
On 13 March 2010 23:31, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ... is apparently happening later this month, with participation from
> a number of people from the UK:
> http://networkcultures.org/wpmu/cpov/program/amsterdam-program/
>
> Does anyone know anything about this?

First I've heard of it. This page lists the people involved, none of
them jump out at me as UK people:
http://networkcultures.org/wpmu/cpov/program/biographies/

On 13 Mar 2010, at 23:38, Thomas Dalton wrote:

> On 13 March 2010 23:31, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> ... is apparently happening later this month, with participation from
>> a number of people from the UK:
>> http://networkcultures.org/wpmu/cpov/program/amsterdam-program/
>>
>> Does anyone know anything about this?
>
> First I've heard of it. This page lists the people involved, none of
> them jump out at me as UK people:
> http://networkcultures.org/wpmu/cpov/program/biographies/

Take a look at the national affiliations on the program page I linked
to above - quite a few of them are "UK".

Mike

Re: "Wikipedia, Critical Point of View" conference in Amsterdam

On 13 March 2010 23:31, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ... is apparently happening later this month, with participation from
> a number of people from the UK:
> http://networkcultures.org/wpmu/cpov/program/amsterdam-program/
> Does anyone know anything about this?

I read the first description and my brain went "Danger! Danger! Pomo
bollocks publication-credit-generator critical mass!" The others
weren't any better. If actual Wikipedians weren't involved I'd think
considerably less of it ... Can anyone translate the jargon-riddled
descriptions into something that wouldn't make any sane human want to
cut off all academic funding forever?

- d.

Re: "Wikipedia, Critical Point of View" conference in Amsterdam

Andrew Gray-3
On 14 March 2010 13:48, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I read the first description and my brain went "Danger! Danger! Pomo
> bollocks publication-credit-generator critical mass!" The others
> weren't any better. If actual Wikipedians weren't involved I'd think
> considerably less of it ... Can anyone translate the jargon-riddled
> descriptions into something that wouldn't make any sane human want to
> cut off all academic funding forever?

Most Wikipedia-related research we've seen so far is pretty
down-and-dirty stuff; studies of accuracy and revert patterns and
growth rates and contributor dynamics and so on. As time goes on (and
we become more ubiquitous) we find we get studied as a concept -
another level or two of academic abstraction above this.

It's not a bad thing, by any means, but it does mean that it's
relatively vague by the standards we're used to, and it's much less -
well, less practically useful to us rather than to people who study
the abstracted stuff. (If you think of these people as historians
rather than scientific analysts, it might be clearer - they're more
detatched, from our perspective)

This, for example, talks about Wikipedia, but at a level we don't need
to worry about on a day-to-day basis:

"Joseph Reagle makes a broader argument that reference works can serve
as a flashpoint for larger social anxieties about technological and
social change. With this understanding in hand, he tries to make sense
of the social unease embodied in and prompted by Wikipedia..."

This may tell us something interesting about how we practically implement NPOV:

"... the interpretations of the Neutral Point of View policy that
accompanied the production of the politically contentious Wikipedia
article documenting Israel's invasion of the Gaza strip in the winter
of 2008/2009. He will show how these negotiations reveal ... Wikipedia
editors are guided by a moral sense of what is and is not a legitimate
intervention in their productive process."

(The later papers generally seem a bit more interesting and less... abtruse)

--
- Andrew Gray

Re: "Wikipedia, Critical Point of View" conference in Amsterdam

geni
On 14 March 2010 13:48, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 13 March 2010 23:31, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> ... is apparently happening later this month, with participation from
>> a number of people from the UK:
>> http://networkcultures.org/wpmu/cpov/program/amsterdam-program/
>> Does anyone know anything about this?
>

> I read the first description and my brain went "Danger! Danger! Pomo
> bollocks publication-credit-generator critical mass!" The others
> weren't any better. If actual Wikipedians weren't involved I'd think
> considerably less of it ... Can anyone translate the jargon-riddled
> descriptions into something that wouldn't make any sane human want to
> cut off all academic funding forever?
>

> - d.

Rough translation?

First read:

http://www.info.ucl.ac.be/~pvr/decon.html

It doesn't directly cover the topic in question but will give you some
idea as the game being played.

Still onto the actual articles
"Rethinking Wikipedia: Power, Knowledge and the Technologies of the Self"

Broadly speaking this one appears to translate as looking at Wikipedia
as interactions between wikipedians rather than as an encyclopedia.
Note the mention of Michel Foucault for bonus points.

Wikipedia between Emancipation and Self-Regulation

I don't know what the "recent controversy among German Wikipedians"
but it appears that the author has picked up on the fact that how
wikipedia's decision making processes nominally work doesn't match how
they actually work and feels the need to witter on about this. You
will note that the author is taking a somewhat risqué approach of
citing the Brazilian Boaventura de Sousa Santos rather than someone
french. Perhaps Portuguese has been gaining in status of late.

The Critique of Law in Free Online Projects

Picked up that Wikipedians do have some biases and has tried to fit it
into the same framework that has been used by certain section of the
left on everything since about 1900. While the author has failed to
cite anyone they make up for that by getting their Phd from a french
university.

The Knowledge Bar

I think what is going on here is that the author is working from the
position that what people know shapes what opinions they can have
have. Think Orwell's new speak. The author probably loses points for
not only citing Germans but one of which you've probably heard of
(Immanuel Kant). They make up for this by actually being french.

Wikipedia and Encyclopedic Anxiety

The author tries to argue that people's worries about Wikipedia are
related to their concerns about how the world is changing. Fairly
straightforward and the author cites no one french but then they are
American so what do you expect.

nil points

Authoritative Annotations, Encyclopedia Universalis Mundaneum,
Wikipedia and the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy

Basically the author wants to talk about a project of Paul Otlet's and
may mention wikipedia in passing.

An Encyclopedia for the Times: Thoughts on Wikipedia from a Historical
Perspective

What can Wikipedians learn from the past. The author has made the
fatal mistake of writing what they are going to talk about in clear
language. They are also british so it's not like they had much of a
chance to begin with though.

Gustave Flaubert Laughs at Wikipedia

A mix of criticism from a dead Frenchman (throws in the question of
how aware we are of it) and some stuff about the future of databases.
On the basis that he doesn't appear to have any qualifications in
computer science I doubt there will be much of interest.

Wikipedia Art: Citation as Performative Act

We know these guys. They still have nothing of interest.

Social Media, Cultural Scaffolds, and Molecular Hegemonies. Musings on
Anarchic Media, WIKIs, and De-territorialized Art

"Musings" says it all. The author appears to want to talk about how
different wikis have different communities and how the commuities
build power structures. Then they throw in 4chan in case Encyclopedia
dramtica didn't make them appear edgy enough. Apparently the author
thinks it is 2008 or something.

Wiki Loves Art

The description appears to be straightforward. What Wikipedia loves
art is/was and what some of the tensions are.

New Trends in the Evolution of Wikipedia

Basicaly an attempt to review where the available research says
Wikipedia is now.

Bot Politics: The Domination, Subversion, and Negotiation of Code in Wikipedia

Basically arguing that how bots are written is driven by what the
community will put up with as much as it is driven by what is
possible.

Famous Forkings and Other Objects of Wikipedia Analysis.

I have no idea what this is about.

Clustering the Contributors to a Wikipedia Page

Errr ot entirely sure what this is about. It appears that the author
is saying that due to the size of wikipedia it's hard to study and the
ways of getting around this problem introduce bias in the kind of
results received. The author appears to have realised that they have
failed to cite anyone french and has decided to make up ground by
being completely incomprehensible.

Negotiating the Neutral Point of View: Politics and the Moral Economy
of Wikipedia

The author appears to have noticed NPOV is complicated and negation
over contentious articles follows and even more complicated set of
written and unwritten rules. The author suffers from being British and
citing a Brit but tries to get around this by using the term Moral
Economy. Quite how this is meant to apply to a gift economy I'm not
sure.

Kosovo War in Wikipedia, Tracing the Conflict and Consensus in the
Wikipedia Talk –pages

Again the author appears to have noticed NPOV is complicated and
negation over contentious articles follows and even more complicated
set of written and unwritten rules. The twist is that sometimes NPOV
is not the only deciding factor. The author then jumps to the idea
that NPOV needs to be challenged in controversial situations for no
readily apparent reasons.

The German WikiWars and the Limits of Objectivism

Author appears to have discovered that jimbo was an Ayn Rand and run
with the idea. They have then overgeneralised a single conflict on
de.pedia

Wikipedia and the Authority of Knowledge

How people argued about the authority of dead tree sources back in the day.

Wikimedia Governance: The Role of the Wikimedia Foundation and the
Form and Geopolitics of its Internationalization

Looking at the role of the WMF in terms of how wikipedia organises
itself and how it operates internationally

Knowledge Satyagraha: Towards a People’s Knowledge Movement

Author looks to promote the idea of "Knowledge Satyagraha" mentions of
wikipedia appear to be passing at most. No I have no idea what
"Knowledge Satyagraha" is.

When Knowledges Meet: Database Design and the Performance of Knowledge

I think the author wants to witter on about how databases impact how
people think. However they then talk about authoring tools which are
not really part of a database. Given that it contains the words
"perform their knowledge" and "cognitive justice" I'm not sure the
effort required to work out what the author is really going on about
would be worthwhile.

Wikipedia's Impact on the Global Power-Knowledge Hierarchies

Wikipedia may mess things up. What those things are and how it will do
so appears unclear.

All in all there are a handful of talks that may be of interest:

Wikipedia and the Authority of Knowledge
New Trends in the Evolution of Wikipedia
Wiki Loves Art

The rest is low grade CV padding.

--
geni

Re: "Wikipedia, Critical Point of View" conference in Amsterdam

David Gerard-2
On 14 March 2010 15:12, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The rest is low grade CV padding.

Yuh. So, agreed then: we burn down any university hosting such
academics and hand post-modernism back to the British pop music
industry, who at least have turned it to viable business use from time
to time. (Then we burn them down too.)

- d.

Re: "Wikipedia, Critical Point of View" conference in Amsterdam

Cormac Lawler
On 13 March 2010 23:31, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:
... is apparently happening later this month, with participation from
a number of people from the UK:
http://networkcultures.org/wpmu/cpov/program/amsterdam-program/

Does anyone know anything about this?

Yes, it's a continuation of another conference - 'Wikiwars' or 'CPOV' - which took place in Bangalore in January this year: <http://www.cis-india.org/research/conferences/conference-blogs/Wikiwars>. I think, if I were to summarise them, I'd say both conferences are about the societal implications of Wikipedia, what it means to participate in Wikipedia, and the limitations of the Wikipedia model in documenting 'the sum of human knowledge'. Yes, it's geared towards academics - hence the language! - so, in this sense, I wouldn't take "being critical" to equate with "being negative". If there's specific jargon that you think I can help with, please shoot.

There are a lot of good contributors, some of whom are members of the Wikimedia community, e.g. Joseph Reagle and Stuart Geiger, both of whom have presented at past Wikimanias. Also, Mathieu O'Neil has written a very interesting book about online communities, including a case study of Wikipedia.

Personally, I'd love to be going, though I have no money, and even less time. If anyone's interested in going, and WMUK have funds... do it!

Cheers,
Cormac

Re: "Wikipedia, Critical Point of View" conference in Amsterdam

Gordon Joly

On 13/03/2010 23:44, Michael Peel wrote:
On 13 Mar 2010, at 23:38, Thomas Dalton wrote:

On 13 March 2010 23:31, Michael Peel [hidden email] wrote:

... is apparently happening later this month, with participation from
a number of people from the UK:
http://networkcultures.org/wpmu/cpov/program/amsterdam-program/

Does anyone know anything about this?

First I've heard of it. This page lists the people involved, none of
them jump out at me as UK people:
http://networkcultures.org/wpmu/cpov/program/biographies/

Take a look at the national affiliations on the program page I linked
to above - quite a few of them are "UK".

Mike

Ahem!

*****

Andrew Famiglietti (UK)
Negotiating the Neutral Point of View: Politics and the Moral Economy of Wikipedia

About the Author

Andrew Famiglietti is a PhD canididate in Bowling Green State University’s American Culture Studies Program. He is currently working on his dissertation “Hackers, Cyborgs, and Wikipedians: The Political Economy and Oppositional Potential of the Wikimedia Constellation.”

On 15 March 2010 14:40, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 13/03/2010 23:44, Michael Peel wrote:
>
> On 13 Mar 2010, at 23:38, Thomas Dalton wrote:
>

> On 13 March 2010 23:31, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> ... is apparently happening later this month, with participation from
> a number of people from the UK:
> http://networkcultures.org/wpmu/cpov/program/amsterdam-program/
>
> Does anyone know anything about this?
>

> First I've heard of it. This page lists the people involved, none of
> them jump out at me as UK people:
> http://networkcultures.org/wpmu/cpov/program/biographies/
>

> Take a look at the national affiliations on the program page I linked
> to above - quite a few of them are "UK".
>
> Mike

Odd... I didn't receive that email... was it sent to this list (wikimediauk-l)?

On 15 March 2010 14:58, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 15 March 2010 14:40, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On 13/03/2010 23:44, Michael Peel wrote:
>>
>> On 13 Mar 2010, at 23:38, Thomas Dalton wrote:
>>

>> On 13 March 2010 23:31, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> ... is apparently happening later this month, with participation from
>> a number of people from the UK:
>> http://networkcultures.org/wpmu/cpov/program/amsterdam-program/
>>
>> Does anyone know anything about this?
>>

>> First I've heard of it. This page lists the people involved, none of
>> them jump out at me as UK people:
>> http://networkcultures.org/wpmu/cpov/program/biographies/
>>

>> Take a look at the national affiliations on the program page I linked
>> to above - quite a few of them are "UK".
>>
>> Mike
>
> Odd... I didn't receive that email... was it sent to this list (wikimediauk-l)?

Ah, it's just arrived. Very odd...