Quantcast

"Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales is to become a U.K. government adviser on open government." - Slashdot

"Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales is to become a U.K. government adviser on open government." - Slashdot

Gordon Joly

I remember when he was advising the BBC. What next?

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/03/13/0054206/jimmy-wales-to-become-uk-government-adviser

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]

Re: "Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales is to become a U.K. government adviser on open government." - Slashdot

Michael Peel-4
The story has also been covered by various national and local newspapers, see:
http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Reports/2012/March#Miscellaneous

Thanks,
Mike

On 13 Mar 2012, at 10:09, Gordon Joly wrote:

> I remember when he was advising the BBC. What next?
>
> http://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/03/13/0054206/jimmy-wales-to-become-uk-government-adviser
>
> Gordo
>

> --
>
> Gordon Joly
> [hidden email]
> http://www.joly.org.uk/
> Don't Leave Space To The Professionals!

Re: "Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales is to become a U.K. government adviser on open government." - Slashdot

Gordon Joly

Thanks....

"Jimmy Wales: Wikipedia chief to advise Whitehall on policy"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/wikipedia/9137339/Jimmy-Wales-Wikipedia-chief-to-advise-Whitehall-on-policy.html

Chief? Says who?

:-)

Gordo

On 13 Mar 2012, at 10:35, Gordon Joly wrote:

> Thanks....
>
> "Jimmy Wales: Wikipedia chief to advise Whitehall on policy"
>
> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/wikipedia/9137339/Jimmy-Wales-Wikipedia-chief-to-advise-Whitehall-on-policy.html
>
> Chief? Says who?

The Telegraph. ;-)

Mike

Re: "Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales is to become a U.K. government adviser on open government." - Slashdot

HJ Mitchell
Why let the facts get in the way of a snappy headline? ;)

Harry

On 13 Mar 2012, at 10:35, Gordon Joly wrote:

> Thanks....
>
> "Jimmy Wales: Wikipedia chief to advise Whitehall on policy"
>
> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/wikipedia/9137339/Jimmy-Wales-Wikipedia-chief-to-advise-Whitehall-on-policy.html
>
> Chief? Says who?

The Telegraph. ;-)

Mike

Re: "Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales is to become a U.K. government adviser on open government." - Slashdot

Thomas Dalton
On 13 March 2012 12:02, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 13 Mar 2012, at 10:35, Gordon Joly wrote:
>

>> Thanks....
>>
>> "Jimmy Wales: Wikipedia chief to advise Whitehall on policy"
>>
>> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/wikipedia/9137339/Jimmy-Wales-Wikipedia-chief-to-advise-Whitehall-on-policy.html
>>
>> Chief? Says who?
>
> The Telegraph. ;-)

Someone should probably give them a ring and suggest they change
"chief" to "founder", since that's what he actually is... (well,
"co-founder", really, but let's not go there!)

Re: "Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales is to become a U.K. government adviser on open government." - Slashdot

Anirudh Bhati
On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 3:39 PM, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I remember when he was advising the BBC. What next?

What next?  Knighthood.  Sir Jimmy Donal "Jimbo" Wales.

Re: "Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales is to become a U.K. government adviser on open government." - Slashdot

Katie Chan
On 13/03/2012 12:15, Thomas Dalton wrote:

> On 13 March 2012 12:02, Michael Peel<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>> On 13 Mar 2012, at 10:35, Gordon Joly wrote:
>>

>>> Thanks....
>>>
>>> "Jimmy Wales: Wikipedia chief to advise Whitehall on policy"
>>>
>>> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/wikipedia/9137339/Jimmy-Wales-Wikipedia-chief-to-advise-Whitehall-on-policy.html
>>>
>>> Chief? Says who?
>>
>> The Telegraph. ;-)
>
> Someone should probably give them a ring and suggest they change
> "chief" to "founder", since that's what he actually is... (well,
> "co-founder", really, but let's not go there!)

To be fair, if you look below the headline at the top, it all says
co-founder.

KTC

     - Heinrich Heine

On 13 March 2012 14:43, Anirudh Bhati <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What next?  Knighthood.  Sir Jimmy Donal "Jimbo" Wales.

Not a British citizen, would have to be Mr Jimmy Donal Wales, KBE (or
whatever), like Bob Geldof and Bill Gates.

- d.

Re: "Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales is to become a U.K. government adviser on open government." - Slashdot

HJ Mitchell
But that doesn't mean we can't make light of the headline! ;)

Btw, I'm pretty sure on has to a British citizen (or possibly even born within the Commonwealth) to be knighted.

Harry

On 13/03/2012 12:15, Thomas Dalton wrote:

> On 13 March 2012 12:02, Michael Peel<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>> On 13 Mar 2012, at 10:35, Gordon Joly wrote:
>>

>>> Thanks....
>>>
>>> "Jimmy Wales: Wikipedia chief to advise Whitehall on policy"
>>>
>>> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/wikipedia/9137339/Jimmy-Wales-Wikipedia-chief-to-advise-Whitehall-on-policy.html
>>>
>>> Chief? Says who?
>>
>> The Telegraph. ;-)
>
> Someone should probably give them a ring and suggest they change
> "chief" to "founder", since that's what he actually is... (well,
> "co-founder", really, but let's not go there!)

To be fair, if you look below the headline at the top, it all says
co-founder.

KTC

    - Heinrich Heine

On 13/03/2012 12:15, Thomas Dalton wrote:
> On 13 March 2012 12:02, Michael Peel<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>> On 13 Mar 2012, at 10:35, Gordon Joly wrote:
>>

>>> Thanks....
>>>
>>> "Jimmy Wales: Wikipedia chief to advise Whitehall on policy"
>>>
>>> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/wikipedia/9137339/Jimmy-Wales-Wikipedia-chief-to-advise-Whitehall-on-policy.html
>>>
>>> Chief? Says who?
>>
>> The Telegraph. ;-)
>
> Someone should probably give them a ring and suggest they change
> "chief" to "founder", since that's what he actually is... (well,
> "co-founder", really, but let's not go there!)

To be fair, if you look below the headline at the top, it all says
co-founder.

KTC

    - Heinrich Heine

Re: "Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales is to become a U.K. government adviser on open government." - Slashdot

AGK-3
Precisely, and there is extensive precedent (including in court decisions relating to allegedly inaccurate headlines) for article titles to be generalising if the reality is explained in the body. If we wrote to them, there probably wouldn't be a correction.

--
Anthony (AGK)
Sent from my iPhone

On 13 Mar 2012, at 14:44, Katie Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 13/03/2012 12:15, Thomas Dalton wrote:

>>> The Telegraph. ;-)
>>
>> Someone should probably give them a ring and suggest they change
>> "chief" to "founder", since that's what he actually is... (well,
>> "co-founder", really, but let's not go there!)
>
> To be fair, if you look below the headline at the top, it all says co-founder.
>
> KTC
>
> --
> Experience is a good school but the fees are high.
>    - Heinrich Heine

Re: "Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales is to become a U.K. government adviser on open government." - Slashdot

Neil Babbage
Officially allowed or not it doesn't stop the media calling Bob Geldof "Sir Bob". "Sir Jimbo" has quite a nice ring to it so you can guarantee the press would use it.

Neil / QuiteUnusual@Wikibooks

On 13/03/2012 14:43, Anirudh Bhati wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 3:39 PM, Gordon Joly<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> >

>> >  I remember when he was advising the BBC. What next?
>> >
> What next?  Knighthood.  Sir Jimmy Donal "Jimbo" Wales.

He might start to advise a much higher authority. But at that point, he
might be advising himself....

:-)

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]
http://www.joly.org.uk/
Don't Leave Space To The Professionals!

Re: "Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales is to become a U.K. government adviser on open government." - Slashdot

Charles Matthews

On 14 March 2012 08:12, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 13/03/2012 14:43, Anirudh Bhati wrote:
On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 3:39 PM, Gordon Joly<[hidden email]>  wrote:

>  I remember when he was advising the BBC. What next?

What next?  Knighthood.  Sir Jimmy Donal "Jimbo" Wales.

He might start to advise a much higher authority. But at that point, he might be advising himself....

I know, a highly original TV series: "Jimbo will (tell you to so) fixit".

Charles