"Wikipedia live monitor" for identifying breaking news on Wikipedia

"Wikipedia live monitor" for identifying breaking news on Wikipedia

Pine W
The "Wikipedia live monitor" tool was designed by Thomas Steiner, an engineer of Google Germany, with the intention of identifying breaking news stories. This tool was mentioned in the Signpost in 2013 but this is the first that I can recall seeing it, and it's not in my mailing list archives so I'm forwarding the links in case list subscribers are interested.

https://wikipedia-live-monitor.herokuapp.com/

https://twitter.com/wikilivemon

Pine

Re: "Wikipedia live monitor" for identifying breaking news on Wikipedia

Scott Hale
Thanks, Pine, for flagging this up. I came across it a few years ago when I was thinking of doing something similar---not to detect news in my case, but simply to highlight what was popular in different language editions as a way to possibly increase multilingual editing/consumption. My research went a different direction, but I still think that would be a nice extension (i.e., lists of trending articles by language/region) that could alert Wikipedians to "hot/trending" articles in other languages that quite possibly do not exist in their first language. I think it could be a nice tie in with the beta translation tool, the MIT Media Lab work on serendipity, and/or the Omnipedia-related work. I am very open to working on this idea with others if anyone is interested.

Cheers,
Scott

On Sun, Jul 19, 2015 at 8:41 AM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
The "Wikipedia live monitor" tool was designed by Thomas Steiner, an engineer of Google Germany, with the intention of identifying breaking news stories. This tool was mentioned in the Signpost in 2013 but this is the first that I can recall seeing it, and it's not in my mailing list archives so I'm forwarding the links in case list subscribers are interested.

https://wikipedia-live-monitor.herokuapp.com/

https://twitter.com/wikilivemon

Pine

Dr Scott Hale
Data Scientist
Oxford Internet Institute
University of Oxford
http://www.scotthale.net/

Re: "Wikipedia live monitor" for identifying breaking news on Wikipedia

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Scott Hale, 19/07/2015 11:30:
> what was popular in different language editions

Do you know https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikitrends/ ? Probably
collaboration is accepted.

> as a way to possibly
> increase multilingual editing/consumption.

Generally, a moment of high popularity of a subject (and hence movement
of the content about it) is the worst possible time to translate an
article. Way better to translate when things have settled down.

Nemo

Re: "Wikipedia live monitor" for identifying breaking news on Wikipedia

James Salsman-2
Pine wrote:
> The "Wikipedia live monitor" tool was designed by Thomas Steiner
>... this is the first that I can recall seeing it

If you like WLM you will love the Wikipedia Natural Disaster Monitor:

http://disaster-monitor.herokuapp.com/

http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-1268/paper15.pdf

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1b563mkeP91PMWJ6B_Fy3DdKK-SjM06gPVNu2s1uAxBk/edit#slide=id.i0

https://github.com/tomayac/postdoc/tree/master/demos/disaster-monitor

Best regards,
Jim

Re: "Wikipedia live monitor" for identifying breaking news on Wikipedia

Thomas Steiner
Thanks, Pine and James. Just adding https://twitter.com/mediagalleries
to the link collection, documented here
http://arxiv.org/abs/1403.4289.

--
Dr. Thomas Steiner, Employee, Google Inc.

Re: "Wikipedia live monitor" for identifying breaking news on Wikipedia

Scott Hale
Great work, Thomas, and thank you for making and sharing these.

On Sun, Jul 19, 2015 at 11:08 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]> wrote:
Generally, a moment of high popularity of a subject (and hence movement of the content about it) is the worst possible time to translate an article. Way better to translate when things have settled down.
I generally agree, Nemo: the details/content needs to be established, but at the same time there is a window of opportunity during which people are most interested in the event that can be capitalized upon in terms of editor contributions and reader volumes. There is obviously a balance between these.

Do you know https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikitrends/ ? Probably collaboration is accepted.
I hadn't see it---cross-language trending articles was an old interest of mine that I've let sit for a while and have clearly missed some developments. Thank you for sharing!

Cheers,
Scott