"Wikipedia" localization

maillist
Hello!

As User:mizusumashi said in wikitech-list, now in Japanese Wikipedia,
it's proposed that to change sitename ($wgSitename) from "Wikipedia" into "ウィキペディア" at [[w:ja:Wikipedia:井戸端/subj/サイト名の設定を「ウィキペディア」にする提案]] (http://bit.ly/C7RPz).

wikitech-list member advised very useful thing for this changing, but it's a little more technical than I expected.

I want to know how other lang wikimedians think that Japanese wiki(pedia) uses English word "Wikipedia" as its sitename and Project namespace prefix.
Is it acceptable (if jawp users want)? Do we need to change it into Japanese word? Or don't need but recommended?

And how about using "ウィキペディア" as sitename of "Wikipedia"?
Some user says "ウィキペディア" is NOT localized or translated term of "Wikipedia" because it's only just [[w:Katakana]]-ized, and we must use other term (e.g. "ウィキ百科" - "ウィキ" is Katakana-ized of "Wiki", and "百科" is [[w:Kanji]] meaning "encyclopedia").
Just for information, NOW we use "ウィキペディア" in left-top logo.

And more, some user says we don't must use "ウィキペディア" or other Japanese terms as Project namespace prefix but must use "Wikipedia", because that situation makes us easy to tell Project pages from other pages.
How about to use different prefix for Project namespace from sitename for such reason?

Please tell me your opinion or WMF policy

Thanks.

 青子守歌
 aokomoriuta

 e-mail: [hidden email]
 blog: http://bgs.jpn.ph/blog/
 twitter: http://twitter.com/aokomoriuta
 jawp: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ao_komoriuta
 mixi: http://mixi.jp/show_friend.pl?id=19926155

Re: "Wikipedia" localization

Eugene Zelenko
Hi!

I think it's good idea to localize namespaces and project name.

I don't think that there any special WMF policy on this subject.

You could see examples of such localizations in interwikis on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump.

Eugene.

On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 3:06 AM, aokomoriuta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello!
>

> As User:mizusumashi said in wikitech-list, now in Japanese Wikipedia,
> it's proposed that to change sitename ($wgSitename) from "Wikipedia" into "ウィキペディア" at [[w:ja:Wikipedia:井戸端/subj/サイト名の設定を「ウィキペディア」にする提案]] (http://bit.ly/C7RPz).
>
> wikitech-list member advised very useful thing for this changing, but it's a little more technical than I expected.
>
> I want to know how other lang wikimedians think that Japanese wiki(pedia) uses English word "Wikipedia" as its sitename and Project namespace prefix.
> Is it acceptable (if jawp users want)? Do we need to change it into Japanese word? Or don't need but recommended?
>
> And how about using "ウィキペディア" as sitename of "Wikipedia"?
> Some user says "ウィキペディア" is NOT localized or translated term of "Wikipedia" because it's only just [[w:Katakana]]-ized, and we must use other term (e.g. "ウィキ百科" - "ウィキ" is Katakana-ized of "Wiki", and "百科" is [[w:Kanji]] meaning "encyclopedia").
> Just for information, NOW we use "ウィキペディア" in left-top logo.
>
> And more, some user says we don't must use "ウィキペディア" or other Japanese terms as Project namespace prefix but must use "Wikipedia", because that situation makes us easy to tell Project pages from other pages.
> How about to use different prefix for Project namespace from sitename for such reason?
>

> Please tell me your opinion or WMF policy
>

> Thanks.

>  青子守歌
>  aokomoriuta
>
>  e-mail: [hidden email]
>  blog: http://bgs.jpn.ph/blog/
>  twitter: http://twitter.com/aokomoriuta
>  jawp: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ao_komoriuta
>  mixi: http://mixi.jp/show_friend.pl?id=19926155

Re: "Wikipedia" localization

Geoffrey Plourde
The issue I see is that if a computer doesn't have japanese character support, ja-wp would be hard to navigate.

________________________________

Re: "Wikipedia" localization

Jon Harald Søby
Yeah, because it's sooo easy with the status quo.

2009/10/4 Geoffrey Plourde <[hidden email]>

> The issue I see is that if a computer doesn't have japanese character
> support, ja-wp would be hard to navigate.
>

> ________________________________

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jon_Harald_S%C3%B8by

Re: "Wikipedia" localization

2009/10/4 Geoffrey Plourde <[hidden email]>:

> The issue I see is that if a computer doesn't have japanese character support, ja-wp would be hard to navigate.

o_0 If a computer doesn't have Japanese character support, the user is
extremely unlikely to get much use out of ja:wp anyway.

- d.

Re: "Wikipedia" localization

Effe iets anders
Just as a sidenote, /if/ you localize, the English version of the namespaces
will always redirect. For example, File:Example.ogg redirects in the dutch
wikipedia to Bestand:Example.ogg .
Best,

Lodewijk