"Wikis Take Manhattan"

Nicolas Guérin-3
It seems that a picture contest "Wikis Take Manhattan" has been approved by the Wikimedia Foundation and happened recently.

However, looking at the related uploaded pictures on Commons (see http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Images_from_Wikis_Take_Manhattan_by_participant/team ),
i think there's many problems :
* All the pictures have no source and date
* Most of the pictures have no description
* Many needs "Personnality right warning"
* Many seems to be out of Commons scope ( see http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Deletion_requests/Image:WSTM_Three_Blind_Mice_0068.JPG )
* Many are duplicated pictures

In a general case, most of those pictures seem not to meet Commons criteria. Please have a look at all these pictures and try to fix the problems.

  Guérin Nicolas

Re: "Wikis Take Manhattan"

Alex G-3
This is being discussed at
<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Village_pump#Commons:Wikis_Take_Manhattan_and_project_scope>

Giggy

On 10/17/08, Nicolas Guérin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It seems that a picture contest "Wikis Take Manhattan" has been approved by
> the Wikimedia Foundation and happened recently.
>
> However, looking at the related uploaded pictures on Commons (see
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Images_from_Wikis_Take_Manhattan_by_participant/team),
> i think there's many problems :
> * All the pictures have no source and date
> * Most of the pictures have no description
> * Many needs "Personnality right warning"
> * Many seems to be out of Commons scope ( see
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Deletion_requests/Image:WSTM_Three_Blind_Mice_0068.JPG)
> * Many are duplicated pictures
>
> In a general case, most of those pictures seem not to meet Commons criteria.
> Please have a look at all these pictures and try to fix the problems.
>
>   Guérin Nicolas

Re: "Wikis Take Manhattan"

Nicolas Guérin-3
Regardless to the content of such pictures (see village pump discussion then), i noticed that all these pictures are missing essential source information, which allow to delete them within 7 days if no source is provided. To add source is a basic Commons requirement to check author and copyright of the related pictures.

  Guérin Nicolas

2008/10/17 Alex <[hidden email]>
This is being discussed at
<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Village_pump#Commons:Wikis_Take_Manhattan_and_project_scope>

Giggy

On 10/17/08, Nicolas Guérin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It seems that a picture contest "Wikis Take Manhattan" has been approved by
> the Wikimedia Foundation and happened recently.
>
> However, looking at the related uploaded pictures on Commons (see
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Images_from_Wikis_Take_Manhattan_by_participant/team),
> i think there's many problems :
> * All the pictures have no source and date
> * Most of the pictures have no description
> * Many needs "Personnality right warning"
> * Many seems to be out of Commons scope ( see
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Deletion_requests/Image:WSTM_Three_Blind_Mice_0068.JPG)
> * Many are duplicated pictures
>
> In a general case, most of those pictures seem not to meet Commons criteria.
> Please have a look at all these pictures and try to fix the problems.
>
>   Guérin Nicolas

Re: "Wikis Take Manhattan"

Eugene Zelenko
Hi!

I think images should be reviewed for freedom of panorama violations too.

Eugene.

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 3:20 AM, Nicolas Guérin
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> It seems that a picture contest "Wikis Take Manhattan" has been approved by
> the Wikimedia Foundation and happened recently.
>
> However, looking at the related uploaded pictures on Commons (see
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Images_from_Wikis_Take_Manhattan_by_participant/team
> ),
> i think there's many problems :
> * All the pictures have no source and date
> * Most of the pictures have no description
> * Many needs "Personnality right warning"
> * Many seems to be out of Commons scope ( see
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Deletion_requests/Image:WSTM_Three_Blind_Mice_0068.JPG
> )
> * Many are duplicated pictures
>
> In a general case, most of those pictures seem not to meet Commons criteria.
> Please have a look at all these pictures and try to fix the problems.
>
>   Guérin Nicolas

Re: "Wikis Take Manhattan"

Kat Walsh-4
On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 6:23 AM, Alex <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is being discussed at
> <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Village_pump#Commons:Wikis_Take_Manhattan_and_project_scope>

Wow. I took a look at the linked page and was a little bit
disheartened by all of the negativity there.

It's a big job to organize a huge event like this with many people who
may not be familiar with Wikimedia, and I would be completely shocked
if every single aspect came out perfect.

So first of all I think that it's important to congratulate Richard
and the NYC Wikimedians for putting together this event and getting so
many new photos of local landmarks, and I hope that other local groups
put together similar events in the future!

I'm not too worried that all of the details are not right immediately
-- this isn't a situation where a user no one knows and no one will
ever hear from again just came to dump a load of untagged images of
unknown source and then leave forever; I expect everything will be
tidied up and settled soon enough by the people organizing the event.
And if not, there is someone to remind politely about it.

So there are some lessons here for people doing similar events in the
future about things that this group wasn't prepared for; the next time
can go more smoothly as people think about how to handle these issues.
But I think this sort of event is very much the sort of thing we
should want local groups and local chapters to do, and that the
Commons community should be figuring out how to help them work even
better, rather than discouraging them by being overly critical of the
mistakes without acknowledging the larger effort.

Cheers,
Kat

--
Your donations keep Wikipedia online: http://donate.wikimedia.org/en
Wikimedia, Press: [hidden email] * Personal: [hidden email]

Re: "Wikis Take Manhattan"

Erik Moeller-4
2008/10/17 Kat Walsh <[hidden email]>:
> So first of all I think that it's important to congratulate Richard
> and the NYC Wikimedians for putting together this event and getting so
> many new photos of local landmarks, and I hope that other local groups
> put together similar events in the future!

I want to wholeheartedly support what Kat is saying here. Both WMF and
the Chapters want to support outreach activities like the NYC project.
The questions about project scope are legitimate. Within any given
photo "mission", presumably only some relatively small percentage of
photos taken will turn out to be actually useful.

Speaking purely as a community member, I do support, in the absence of
better processes, that Commons itself is used as the quality vetting
tool for these processes. And I think it'll be a learning experience
how to incorporate these quality vetting processes into the event
planning for future scavenger hunts.

What I think we might want to work towards is a situation where
Commons can support a "holding cache" for images coming from different
external sources: be it an outreach event like this, an RSS feed, the
Flickr API to CC-licensed images, etc. A special page (somewhat
similar to the FlickrLickr tool) could then be used to mass-edit
metadata and select the images that are relevant for inclusion. That
way, basic QA could be applied before the images appear as regular
uploaded files on Commons.

This is something we could put some tech resources towards as a
contractor project. Thoughts?

--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: "Wikis Take Manhattan"

Charlotte Webb
On 10/17/08, Nicolas Guérin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It seems that a picture contest "Wikis Take Manhattan" has been approved by
> the Wikimedia Foundation and happened recently.
>
> [...]
>
> In a general case, most of those pictures seem not to meet Commons criteria.
> Please have a look at all these pictures and try to fix the problems.

Whoever came up with this idea should be sentenced to 20 years of boredom.

—C.W.

Re: "Wikis Take Manhattan"

David Gerard-2
2008/10/18 Charlotte Webb <[hidden email]>:
> On 10/17/08, Nicolas Guérin <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> It seems that a picture contest "Wikis Take Manhattan" has been approved by
>> the Wikimedia Foundation and happened recently.
>> In a general case, most of those pictures seem not to meet Commons criteria.
>> Please have a look at all these pictures and try to fix the problems.

> Whoever came up with this idea should be sentenced to 20 years of boredom.

*applause*

- d.