"Willy on Wheels" sabotage

Sterling D. Allan

User:Willey on Wheels
cam to my site and "moved" a bunch of pages so that they were appended with "on Wheels!!!"

Benign but extremely obnoxious sabotage.

Are there any measures to prevent this?

Luckily, another user of the site phoned me notifying me of the change on a page he was working on, so I was able to ban Willy on Wheels before he did more damage.

Where the problem became extra annoying was when the "on Wheels!!" was appended on top of an already "on-Wheels!!!"-appended page.  When I tried to "move" the page to its original location, I received an error message that there was already content on that page.

I got around this by reverting one append at a time.  Then it worked.

If I tried deleting any of the forwarded pages, the history was lost, as well as the counter statistics at the bottom of the page.  Thus, the above procedure is necessary to maintaining the history and page view statistics.

I notice that the "user contribs" function at first showed around 75 links for "Willy on Wheels" but after I undid the forawards, they were no longer listed, except in those instances where I did not undo the redirects correctly.

http://www.peswiki.com/energy/Special:Recentchanges

http://peswiki.com/index.php?title=Special:Contributions&hideminor=0&namespace=&target=Willy+on+Wheels&limit=500&offset=0

Sterling

Re: "Willy on Wheels" sabotage

Rob Church
On 06/06/06, Sterling D. Allan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> User:Willey on Wheels
> cam to my site and "moved" a bunch of pages so that they were appended with "on Wheels!!!"

He's moved onto non-Wikimedia sites using MediaWiki now? Gah.

Rob Church

Re: "Willy on Wheels" sabotage

Bugzilla from sy1234@gmail.com
On 6/6/06, Rob Church <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 06/06/06, Sterling D. Allan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > User:Willey on Wheels
> > cam to my site and "moved" a bunch of pages so that they were appended with "on Wheels!!!"
>
> He's moved onto non-Wikimedia sites using MediaWiki now? Gah.

Has anyone made a mass rollback robot?  I remember reading up on a
couple of really nice tools used by frequent-patrollers and I think
something had such functionality.

I also wonder if Bad Behavior will help for cases like this.  I
recently installed it.. which took maybe 5 minutes.  =)

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Bad_Behavior_extension
http://www.ioerror.us/software/bad-behavior/installing-and-using-bad-behavior/on-mediawiki/

On 6/6/06, Sterling D. Allan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  When I tried to "move" the page to its original location, I received an error message that there was already content on that page.

Not entirely related, but FYI for the future..

When moving a page, the more recent versions of MediaWiki prompt to
overwrite the target.  This would let you move pages back really
easily.

Also, and my memory is a bit fuzzy, I recall that there are some much
easier rollback tools in recent changes for the latest versions as
opposed to your current version.