"about wikimania" page

Phoebe Ayers-2
Hi all,

I've had a few people ask me where they can find a general overview of
wikimania & what it's all about. Can someone please add such a page to
this year's wiki?
http://wikimania2010.wikimedia.org/

sources to draw on include the wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikimania
meta: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania
and past wikimania wikis.

Currently there is only a two-line introduction in the FAQ.
http://wikimania2010.wikimedia.org/wiki/FAQ
Please help me remedy this! And reply to the list if you do start a page...
thanks,
Phoebe

--
WikiSym 2010: July 7-9 | http://wikisym.org/ws2010
http://phoebeayers.info | [hidden email]

Re: "about wikimania" page

Fajro
On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 1:34 PM, phoebe ayers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've had a few people ask me where they can find a general overview of
> wikimania & what it's all about. Can someone please add such a page to
> this year's wiki?
> http://wikimania2010.wikimedia.org/

Wikimania should have only one wiki.
Why not merge all in wikimania.org?

--
Fajro

Re: "about wikimania" page

Austin Hair
On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 12:31 PM, Fajro <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Wikimania should have only one wiki.
> Why not merge all in wikimania.org?

In short:

* We don't own wikimania.org.

* Having separate wikis for each conference avoids quite a lot of
unnecessary maintanance each year, such as archiving *every single
page* and updating the user list.

Austin

Re: "about wikimania" page

Phoebe Ayers-2
On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Austin Hair <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 12:31 PM, Fajro <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Wikimania should have only one wiki.
>> Why not merge all in wikimania.org?
>
> In short:
>
> * We don't own wikimania.org.
>
> * Having separate wikis for each conference avoids quite a lot of
> unnecessary maintanance each year, such as archiving *every single
> page* and updating the user list.
>
> Austin

Regardless.... I'm not sure there's a page like the one I'm talking
about on *any* of the wikimania sites :)

-- phoebe

Re: "about wikimania" page

Tobias
Austin Hair wrote:
> * We don't own wikimania.org.

Who does? The registrant's name doesn't ring a bell.
Of course wikimania.wikimedia.org would work just as well.

> * Having separate wikis for each conference avoids quite a lot of
> unnecessary maintanance each year, such as archiving *every single
> page* and updating the user list.

I'm not sure if creating a whole new empty wiki each year is really simpler.
There are quite a lot of pages that are needed on every Wikimania wiki.
Those are mostly templates and translated (placeholder) pages (e.g. "The
Call for participation is not open yet").

For wikimania2010.wikimedia.org a confusing method was chosen – it seems
parts of the database of 2009's wiki were copied to the new database (to
be more specific: revisions of selected pages into the archive table).
Logs weren't copied, which makes the whole thing even more confusing (I
learned about this when I stumbled across an inconsistent undeletion
action of a page which never existed).

How about the following: After each Wikimania, the database is forked
into a new static wiki (it may remain open a while in case there are any
follow-ups on the preceding Wikimania). It is locked and represents a
snapshot of the original wiki at the time of a specific Wikimania.
The actual wiki remains up-to-date, that means after a static fork has
been created, all pages that are not required for future events are
deleted. This shouldn't be too much work.

Regards,

Church of emacs

Re: "about wikimania" page

Angela-5
On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 2:34 AM, phoebe ayers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've had a few people ask me where they can find a general overview of
> wikimania & what it's all about. Can someone please add such a page to
> this year's wiki?
> http://wikimania2010.wikimedia.org/

There's a short "about" page, in Polish, at
http://www.wikimania2010.pl/wiki/Konferencja_Wikimania

I'm not sure why http://wikimania2010.wikimedia.org exists when most
of the updates are happening at http://www.wikimania2010.pl/

wikimania2010.pl is the only wiki with any info for sponsors -
http://www.wikimania2010.pl/wiki/Sponsorzy
http://www.wikimania2010.pl/wiki/Zarys_programu/en is apparently where
I should have looked when I was asking where this year's CfP was.

Should wikimania2010.wikimedia.org be redirected to wikimania2010.pl?

Angela

Re: "about wikimania" page

Joseph Seddon-2
I thought it was agreed that the wikimania2010.wikimedia.org site would be the main one and the the .pl site was just for the organising team?

Seddon

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 12:55 AM, Angela <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 2:34 AM, phoebe ayers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've had a few people ask me where they can find a general overview of
> wikimania & what it's all about. Can someone please add such a page to
> this year's wiki?
> http://wikimania2010.wikimedia.org/

There's a short "about" page, in Polish, at
http://www.wikimania2010.pl/wiki/Konferencja_Wikimania

I'm not sure why http://wikimania2010.wikimedia.org exists when most
of the updates are happening at http://www.wikimania2010.pl/

wikimania2010.pl is the only wiki with any info for sponsors -
http://www.wikimania2010.pl/wiki/Sponsorzy
http://www.wikimania2010.pl/wiki/Zarys_programu/en is apparently where
I should have looked when I was asking where this year's CfP was.

Should wikimania2010.wikimedia.org be redirected to wikimania2010.pl?

Angela

Re: "about wikimania" page

Phoebe Ayers-2
Actually no -- there has been discussion about this issue on the
Polish organization list -- for now the sites mirror each other (or
should), but there was talk of redirecting to wikimania2010.pl. We do
need to consolidate. I don't know what the consensus on which site to
use was. CC'ing Polimerek who has been working on this....

Phoebe

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 4:57 PM, Joseph Seddon
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I thought it was agreed that the wikimania2010.wikimedia.org site would be
> the main one and the the .pl site was just for the organising team?
>
> Seddon
>
> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 12:55 AM, Angela <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 2:34 AM, phoebe ayers <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I've had a few people ask me where they can find a general overview of
>> > wikimania & what it's all about. Can someone please add such a page to
>> > this year's wiki?
>> > http://wikimania2010.wikimedia.org/
>>
>> There's a short "about" page, in Polish, at
>> http://www.wikimania2010.pl/wiki/Konferencja_Wikimania
>>
>> I'm not sure why http://wikimania2010.wikimedia.org exists when most
>> of the updates are happening at http://www.wikimania2010.pl/
>>
>> wikimania2010.pl is the only wiki with any info for sponsors -
>> http://www.wikimania2010.pl/wiki/Sponsorzy
>> http://www.wikimania2010.pl/wiki/Zarys_programu/en is apparently where
>> I should have looked when I was asking where this year's CfP was.
>>
>> Should wikimania2010.wikimedia.org be redirected to wikimania2010.pl?
>>
>> Angela

Re: "about wikimania" page

pramukh infosec

Hi Everybody,

I think "Church of emacs" is absolutely right in his ideas. We must adhere to it
and also we must remember that since it is the Main webpage of the events
we can at least add some hyperlinks with appropriate text so as to divert the
incoming requests to the appropriate web-page. This will definitely help the audience
to get their queries answered and also to get more and a clear picture about the intricacies
of this conference.

Thanks & Regards,

-Pramukh

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I thought it was agreed that the wikimania2010.wikimedia.org site would be
> the main one and the the .pl site was just for the organising team?
>
> Seddon
>
> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 12:55 AM, Angela <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 2:34 AM, phoebe ayers <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I've had a few people ask me where they can find a general overview of
>> > wikimania & what it's all about. Can someone please add such a page to
>> > this year's wiki?
>> > http://wikimania2010.wikimedia.org/
>>
>> There's a short "about" page, in Polish, at
>> http://www.wikimania2010.pl/wiki/Konferencja_Wikimania
>>
>> I'm not sure why http://wikimania2010.wikimedia.org exists when most
>> of the updates are happening at http://www.wikimania2010.pl/
>>
>> wikimania2010.pl is the only wiki with any info for sponsors -
>> http://www.wikimania2010.pl/wiki/Sponsorzy
>> http://www.wikimania2010.pl/wiki/Zarys_programu/en is apparently where
>> I should have looked when I was asking where this year's CfP was.
>>
>> Should wikimania2010.wikimedia.org be redirected to wikimania2010.pl?
>>
>> Angela

Re: "about wikimania" page

Tomasz Ganicz
2010/4/8 phoebe ayers <[hidden email]>:
> Actually no -- there has been discussion about this issue on the
> Polish organization list -- for now the sites mirror each other (or
> should), but there was talk of redirecting to wikimania2010.pl. We do
> need to consolidate. I don't know what the consensus on which site to
> use was. CC'ing Polimerek who has been working on this....

I don't know either. Indeed the core team insists to have it all on
*.pl site (and on the server belonging to Wikimedia Polska), but on
the other hand there were strong sugesstions to have main wiki on
Foundation servers. The good thing with Polish server is that it can
be easily configured by organising team, and it is actually devoted to
Wikimania only, but the bad thing is that it is rather  not very
secure old server and the internet connection is slow so it might not
be sufficent to survive high traffic before and during Wikimania. The
problem with Foundation's servers are that it is not possible to have
direct admin-level access to it in order to reconfigure it.

We were talking about it with Phoebe and Sj during their visit in
Poland, but I don't know the final decission. What I did a couple of
days ago, was just transfering and making some structure of the basic
information pages from meta-bid as I was asked by core team to do
this. I did it on both wikis as it is not a big deal to copy-paste all
that stuff from one to another, so no matter what the final decission
is going to be my work won't be lost :-)

--
Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/

Re: "about wikimania" page

Roan Kattouw-2
2010/4/8 Tomasz Ganicz <[hidden email]>:
> The
> problem with Foundation's servers are that it is not possible to have
> direct admin-level access to it in order to reconfigure it.

Why would you need that? If this is just about MediaWiki configuration
variables, you can just poke sysadmins in #wikimedia-tech and they'll
change settings for you.

Roan Kattouw (Catrope)

Re: "about wikimania" page

Piyush Singh
Hey fellows I have two questions:
a) Is the scholarship available for individual persons or individual project.
b) If it is for individual project then can more than one team member apply for scholarship.

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 2:11 PM, Tomasz Ganicz <[hidden email]> wrote:
2010/4/8 phoebe ayers <[hidden email]>:
> Actually no -- there has been discussion about this issue on the
> Polish organization list -- for now the sites mirror each other (or
> should), but there was talk of redirecting to wikimania2010.pl. We do
> need to consolidate. I don't know what the consensus on which site to
> use was. CC'ing Polimerek who has been working on this....

I don't know either. Indeed the core team insists to have it all on
*.pl site (and on the server belonging to Wikimedia Polska), but on
the other hand there were strong sugesstions to have main wiki on
Foundation servers. The good thing with Polish server is that it can
be easily configured by organising team, and it is actually devoted to
Wikimania only, but the bad thing is that it is rather  not very
secure old server and the internet connection is slow so it might not
be sufficent to survive high traffic before and during Wikimania. The
problem with Foundation's servers are that it is not possible to have
direct admin-level access to it in order to reconfigure it.

We were talking about it with Phoebe and Sj during their visit in
Poland, but I don't know the final decission. What I did a couple of
days ago, was just transfering and making some structure of the basic
information pages from meta-bid as I was asked by core team to do
this. I did it on both wikis as it is not a big deal to copy-paste all
that stuff from one to another, so no matter what the final decission
is going to be my work won't be lost :-)

--
Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/
http://www.ptchem.lodz.pl/en/TomaszGanicz.html