readership draft for feedback

Mani Pande
Hello All,
We are in the process of fielding a survey of Wikipedia readers to
understand the needs of Wikipedia readers. The survey will get their
opinion on Wikipedia content, understand what are the barriers to
editing Wikipedia, understand how they use Internet, and get some
quantitative data on the experience of using Wikipedia on their phone.
This survey is being done in parallel to the Editor Survey, whose
results we are working currently analyzing and mobile user experience
research that we are conducting in India, Brazil and the US.

The draft of the survey, and a FAQ section is available on meta, if you
are interested. Here is the link to meta space that I have set up for
the survey. http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Readership_survey

Thanks in advance
Mani

--
Mani Pande, PhD
Head of Global Development Research

Re: readership draft for feedback

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Mani Pande, 24/05/2011 18:53:
> The draft of the survey, and a FAQ section is available on meta, if you
> are interested. Here is the link to meta space that I have set up for
> the survey. http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Readership_survey

It would also be interesting to have some answers to the questions about
the last survey: http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Editor_survey_feedback

Nemo

Re: readership draft for feedback

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Mani Pande, 24/05/2011 18:53:
> The draft of the survey, and a FAQ section is available on meta, if you
> are interested. Here is the link to meta space that I have set up for
> the survey. http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Readership_survey

It would also be interesting to have some answers to the questions about
the last survey: http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Editor_survey_feedback

Nemo

Re: readership draft for feedback

metasj
Thanks for the update, Mani.

Are we going to start running the equivalent surveys on the sister
projects?  We have a fair bit of data about Wikipedia already,
comparative data from all projects would be useful.  Most of the
questions would not change.

In addition to the time-limited study that's being conducted, is it
possible to have a simplified version of this survey running
continuously in the background - say for 1 in 100,000 visitors,
year-round?  That sort of data stream could be very useful as an
addition to our current monthly reports.

SJ

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 12:53 PM, Mani Pande <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello All,
> We are in the process of fielding a survey of Wikipedia readers to
> understand the needs of Wikipedia readers. The survey will get their
> opinion on Wikipedia content, understand what are the barriers to
> editing Wikipedia, understand how they use Internet, and get some
> quantitative data on the experience of using Wikipedia on their phone.
> This survey is being done in parallel to the Editor Survey, whose
> results we are working currently analyzing and mobile user experience
> research that we are conducting in India, Brazil and the US.
>
> The draft of the survey, and a FAQ section is available on meta, if you
> are interested. Here is the link to meta space that I have set up for
> the survey. http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Readership_survey
>
> Thanks in advance
> Mani
>
> --
> Mani Pande, PhD
> Head of Global Development Research
> Wikimedia Foundation
> Twitter: manipande
> Skype: manipande

Samuel Klein          identi.ca:sj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266

Re: readership draft for feedback

metasj
On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 1:11 PM, Federico Leva (Nemo)
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Mani Pande, 24/05/2011 18:53:
>> The draft of the survey, and a FAQ section is available on meta, if you
>> are interested. Here is the link to meta space that I have set up for
>> the survey. http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Readership_survey
>
> It would also be interesting to have some answers to the questions about
> the last survey: http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Editor_survey_feedback

I moved over a few questions that seemed relevant to the new talk page.

SJ

Re: readership draft for feedback

Mani Pande
Hi Samuel,
We have not discussed these ideas, but I think they sound wonderful and
are all interesting, and we can look into it to see how easy or
difficult it is to do a survey for sister projects or have a year-round
survey.
Mani

On 5/29/11 11:09 AM, Samuel Klein wrote:

> Thanks for the update, Mani.
>
> Are we going to start running the equivalent surveys on the sister
> projects?  We have a fair bit of data about Wikipedia already,
> comparative data from all projects would be useful.  Most of the
> questions would not change.
>
> In addition to the time-limited study that's being conducted, is it
> possible to have a simplified version of this survey running
> continuously in the background - say for 1 in 100,000 visitors,
> year-round?  That sort of data stream could be very useful as an
> addition to our current monthly reports.
>
> SJ
>
> On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 12:53 PM, Mani Pande<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>> We are in the process of fielding a survey of Wikipedia readers to
>> understand the needs of Wikipedia readers. The survey will get their
>> opinion on Wikipedia content, understand what are the barriers to
>> editing Wikipedia, understand how they use Internet, and get some
>> quantitative data on the experience of using Wikipedia on their phone.
>> This survey is being done in parallel to the Editor Survey, whose
>> results we are working currently analyzing and mobile user experience
>> research that we are conducting in India, Brazil and the US.
>>
>> The draft of the survey, and a FAQ section is available on meta, if you
>> are interested. Here is the link to meta space that I have set up for
>> the survey. http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Readership_survey
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>> Mani
>>
>> --
>> Mani Pande, PhD
>> Head of Global Development Research
>> Wikimedia Foundation
>> Twitter: manipande
>> Skype: manipande

Mani Pande, PhD
Head of Global Development Research
Wikimedia Foundation
415-882-7981 ext 6721
Twitter: manipande
Skype: manipande

Re: readership draft for feedback

Rodan Bury
Hi,

I think the most important question is: how do we act upon the results of
these surveys? There have been several surveys already, as well as usability
studies. While it can't hurt to do some more of them, I have the feeling
that we already have the most important data. What about the actual plans to
improve usability? There is the multimedia usability initiative currently
going on, but that's only for commons.

Everybody knows that Wikipedia is extremely hard to edit (and even painful)
for newbies (but power users are going to get mad at me for saying that).
So, how are we supposed to remove the well-known barriers to editing
Wikipedia? Survey doesn't contain these practical answers, we have to try
solutions ourselves. Very little has been done so far.

In other words, what does this survey aims to achieve that it's predecessors
did not?

Yours, Rodan Bury