research on who creates new articles on English Wikipedia?

research on who creates new articles on English Wikipedia?

Heather Ford-4
Hi there,

I'm thinking there must be research about whether it is new or experienced editors who are creating new articles on English Wikipedia but I can't seem to find anything.

Anyone know of anything like this?

Many thanks!

Best,
Heather.

Re: research on who creates new articles on English Wikipedia?

Aaron Halfaker-3
Hi Heather,

I did a bunch of background work on this specifically for a large set of wikis.  See https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Wikipedia_article_creation.

TL;DR: In Enwiki, almost 10% of NS 0 pages are created by newcomers within 24 hours of registering an account.  The majority of articles (83.6%) are still created by editors with more than a month of tenure.

-Aaron

On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 9:05 AM, Heather Ford <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi there,

I'm thinking there must be research about whether it is new or experienced editors who are creating new articles on English Wikipedia but I can't seem to find anything.

Anyone know of anything like this?

Many thanks!

Best,
Heather.

Re: research on who creates new articles on English Wikipedia?

Nicolas Jullien
Hello,

to complete what Aaron said, a research I did showed that the creation
of new article by a newcomer is a very good predictor that this person
will become a regular contributor or more (on French data, but I would
be surprised if it was not the case for the English Wikipedia).

Nicolas

Le 25/11/2014 16:22, Aaron Halfaker a écrit :

> Hi Heather,
>
> I did a bunch of background work on this specifically for a large set of
> wikis.  See
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Wikipedia_article_creation.
>
> Specifically, check this out:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Wikipedia_article_creation#How_many_articles_are_created_by_newcomers.3F
>
> TL;DR: In Enwiki, almost 10% of NS 0 pages are created by newcomers
> within 24 hours of registering an account.  The majority of articles
> (83.6%) are still created by editors with more than a month of tenure.
>
> -Aaron
>
> On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 9:05 AM, Heather Ford <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi there,
>
>     I'm thinking there must be research about whether it is new or
>     experienced editors who are creating new articles on English
>     Wikipedia but I can't seem to find anything.
>
>     Anyone know of anything like this?
>
>     Many thanks!
>
>     Best,
>     Heather.
>
>     Heather Ford
>     Oxford Internet Institute <http://www.oii.ox.ac.uk/> Doctoral Programme
>     EthnographyMatters <http://ethnographymatters.net/> | Oxford Digital
>     Ethnography Group <http://www.oii.ox.ac.uk/research/projects/?id=115>
>     http://hblog.org <http://hblog.org/> | @hfordsa
>     <http://www.twitter.com/hfordsa>

Maître de Conférences (HDR) / Associate Professor.
LUSSI - iSchool, M@rsouin. Institut TELECOM Bretagne & UEB
In charge of the Master "Information Systems Project Management and
Consulting"
http://www.telecom-bretagne.eu/studies/msc/information-systems-management/
Co-animator of the "ICT and Society" Institut Mines-Telecom's research
network

http://nicolas-jullien.lussi-ischool.eu/
Skype: Nicolas.Jullien1
Tel +33 (0) 229 001 245
TELECOM Bretagne, Technopôle Brest Iroise CS 83818
29238 BREST CEDEX 3

Re: research on who creates new articles on English Wikipedia?

Heather Ford-3
Wonderful, thank you so much, Aaron and Nicolas! So very helpful :)

Heather Ford
Oxford Internet Institute Doctoral Programme
http://hblog.org | @hfordsa

<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

[...]

Tel <a href="tel:%2B33%20%280%29%20229%20001%20245" value="+33229001245" target="_blank">+33 (0) 229 001 245
TELECOM Bretagne, Technopôle Brest Iroise CS 83818
29238 BREST CEDEX 3

Re: research on who creates new articles on English Wikipedia?

Jonathan Morgan
Who creates new articles on Wikipedia? I create new articles on Wikipedia! And you can too :)

<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

[...]

Jonathan T. Morgan
Learning Strategist