restricting file downloads

Florian Effenberger-3
Hi,

I run an internal wiki which is protected with

$wgGroupPermissions['*']['read'] = false;
$wgWhitelistRead = array ("Special:Userlogin", "MediaWiki:Common.css",
"MediaWiki:Common.js", "MediaWiki:Monobook.css",
"MediaWiki:Monobook.js", "-");
$wgGroupPermissions['*']['edit'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['*']['createaccount'] = false;

so I cannot get in without an administrator-created account. However,
file downloads of course seem to work directly if the URL is known, as
they are directly served via Apache.

Is there any mod_rewrite rule that requires MediaWiki authentication
before offering file downloads (from the images directory), or an
extension that does not let users download files directly, but rather
uses a MediaWiki wrapper?

I know that wikis are not meant to be private, and a simple .htaccess
password protection helps here as well, but maybe there is an easy
solution for my needs. ;-)

Thanks,
Florian

Re: restricting file downloads

Benjamin Lees
On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 5:17 AM, Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there any mod_rewrite rule that requires MediaWiki authentication
> before offering file downloads (from the images directory), or an
> extension that does not let users download files directly, but rather
> uses a MediaWiki wrapper?

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Image_Authorization

Semantic Media Wiki Questions

Bruce Whealton-2
Hello all,
          I wonder how popular the SemanticMediaWiki extension is for
members of this list.  Are there other lists like this one that deal
with different extensions or uses of Mediawiki or enhancements to a
Mediawiki?
         Anyway, I had a couple questions.  I installed
SemanticMediaWiki on my media wiki site.  So, it might be useful to find
out, do a search of, other sites/wikis that one use SemanticMediaWiki
and are about a similar topic, subject or focus for their wiki.  Then
having done so, we would want to link to each others wikis, share
content, and encourage collaboration.  That's the reason or function of
a SemanticMediaWiki.  SMW helps to search, organize, tag, browse,
evaluate, and share the wiki's content and allow the wiki to function as
a collaborative database.
         Is there a way to find for example other mediawiki
installations that are about writing, poetry and related topics?  Is
there then a way to include a list of these articles and sites within my
wiki?
Thanks,
Bruce

B. M. Whealton - Web Developer, Programmer, Owner:
Future Wave Designs: http://FutureWaveDesigns.com
"On Being a Poet and Other Existential Ideas":>
http://WordSaladPoetryMagazine.com/words/
Publisher of Word Salad Poetry Magazine:
http://WordSaladPoetryMagazine.com/ - Submit your poetry

Re: Semantic Media Wiki Questions

Edward Swing
There is an entirely separate (and quite active) mailing list for the
Semantic MediaWiki extensions:

[...]

This e-mail and any attachments are for the intended recipient(s) only and may contain proprietary, confidential material. If you are not the intended recipient, (even if the email address above is yours) do not use, retain, copy or disclose any part of this communication or any attachment as it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you believe that you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete. This email may be a personal communication from the sender and as such does not represent the views of the company.

Re: Semantic Media Wiki Questions

Platonides
B. M. Whealton wrote:
> Hello all,
>           I wonder how popular the SemanticMediaWiki extension is for
> members of this list.  Are there other lists like this one that deal
> with different extensions or uses of Mediawiki or enhancements to a
> Mediawiki?

There is semediawiki-user mailing list.
See http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=147937

Re: Semantic Media Wiki Questions

Markus Krötzsch-2
On 13/09/2010 14:45, Platonides wrote:
> B. M. Whealton wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>            I wonder how popular the SemanticMediaWiki extension is for
>> members of this list.  Are there other lists like this one that deal
>> with different extensions or uses of Mediawiki or enhancements to a
>> Mediawiki?
>
> There is semediawiki-user mailing list.
> See http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=147937

OTOH, I don't think that this really is an SMW-specific question. As I
understand it, the first question was how to find out about other wikis
that cover similar/overlapping topics so as to exploit synergies between
communities. I do not know if there is another answer to this than "Try
using Google" -- but the SMW lists won't be specifically useful for
finding other poetry wikis either.

The second question was whether one can embed content (articles) from
such wikis. There are some SMW-specific ways of sharing data between
wikis (especially using Exhibit as in [1] or [2]) but cross-site
transclusion of whole articles is not really what SMW does.

Cheers,

Markus

[1] http://projects.csail.mit.edu/wibit/beers.html
[2]
http://projects.csail.mit.edu/wibit/wiki/index.php?title=Making_exhibits_from_data_of_Semantic_MediaWikis

Re: Semantic Media Wiki Questions

nevio carlos de alarcão
Sorry, but there is a portuguese poetry wiki http://
sextapoetica.com.br if you like to know. Regards
Enviado de meu  iPhone

2010/9/12 Benjamin Lees <[hidden email]>:

>> Is there any mod_rewrite rule that requires MediaWiki authentication
>> before offering file downloads (from the images directory), or an
>> extension that does not let users download files directly, but rather
>> uses a MediaWiki wrapper?
>
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Image_Authorization

d'oh, I must haved missed that one. Thanks a lot, works like a charm!

Florian