sad news

phoebe ayers-3
Those of you who have been around for a few years may remember
user:Tlogmer, aka Ben Yates -- co-author with Charles Matthews and I
on "How Wikipedia Works."

I got an email from his mother this morning with the very sad news
that Ben passed away yesterday. I do not know the details. He was in
his 20s and lived in Michigan, USA.

There will be a memorial service in Michigan on Friday; contact me if
you want that information. His userpages are
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Tlogmer
and http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Tlogmer

For several years Ben wrote a blog about Wikipedia that was incisive
and widely read. Older posts can be found here:
http://wikip.blogspot.com/

He also designed the Wikimania logo with the two "w"s; originally
designed for Wikimania 2006, we use it to this day:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikimania_%28spacing%29.png

Ben was a skilled artist and designer and was responsible for all of
the figures in "How Wikipedia Works." He also designed posters and
graphic materials for Wikimania and proposed many other merchandise
designs to promote Wikipedia.

He was funny, smart, and shy; I never had a bad interaction with him.
I worked with him intensively for many months but never got a chance
to meet him in person, but I counted him as a friend long after we
finished the book. He will be missed.

If you have any comments that you would like to be given to his family
or read at the service, please post them on Ben's talk page or send to
me directly. Wikimedia was meaningful to Ben, and it would mean a lot
to let his mom that people cared about her son as a colleague and
friend.

thanks,
-- Phoebe

Re: sad news

Bob the Wikipedian
Oh, wow. I actually just got a copy of that book (wonderful book, by the
way) when I visited the office a couple weeks ago. I'm sorry to hear he
died so young.

The tradition of Wikipedia is to remember the fallen editors at the
"Deceased Wikipedians" page, if anyone has any appropriate biographical
information:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Deceased_Wikipedians#Ben_Yates_.28Tlogmer.29>

Sending my regards,
Rob

On 3/14/2012 9:42 PM, phoebe ayers wrote:

> Those of you who have been around for a few years may remember
> user:Tlogmer, aka Ben Yates -- co-author with Charles Matthews and I
> on "How Wikipedia Works."
>
> I got an email from his mother this morning with the very sad news
> that Ben passed away yesterday. I do not know the details. He was in
> his 20s and lived in Michigan, USA.
>
> There will be a memorial service in Michigan on Friday; contact me if
> you want that information. His userpages are
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Tlogmer
> and http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Tlogmer
>
> For several years Ben wrote a blog about Wikipedia that was incisive
> and widely read. Older posts can be found here:
> http://wikip.blogspot.com/
>
> He also designed the Wikimania logo with the two "w"s; originally
> designed for Wikimania 2006, we use it to this day:
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikimania_%28spacing%29.png
>
> Ben was a skilled artist and designer and was responsible for all of
> the figures in "How Wikipedia Works." He also designed posters and
> graphic materials for Wikimania and proposed many other merchandise
> designs to promote Wikipedia.
>
> He was funny, smart, and shy; I never had a bad interaction with him.
> I worked with him intensively for many months but never got a chance
> to meet him in person, but I counted him as a friend long after we
> finished the book. He will be missed.
>
> If you have any comments that you would like to be given to his family
> or read at the service, please post them on Ben's talk page or send to
> me directly. Wikimedia was meaningful to Ben, and it would mean a lot
> to let his mom that people cared about her son as a colleague and
> friend.
>
> thanks,
> -- Phoebe

Re: [Foundation-l] sad news

George William Herbert
Very sad, I met him and he seemed to be a very good guy.

Seems to be a bad week; a friend of mine from college passed on Sunday morning.

Focus on big things and have fun while you're here.

George William Herbert
Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 14, 2012, at 19:42, phoebe ayers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Those of you who have been around for a few years may remember
> user:Tlogmer, aka Ben Yates -- co-author with Charles Matthews and I
> on "How Wikipedia Works."
>
> I got an email from his mother this morning with the very sad news
> that Ben passed away yesterday. I do not know the details. He was in
> his 20s and lived in Michigan, USA.
>
> There will be a memorial service in Michigan on Friday; contact me if
> you want that information. His userpages are
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Tlogmer
> and http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Tlogmer
>
> For several years Ben wrote a blog about Wikipedia that was incisive
> and widely read. Older posts can be found here:
> http://wikip.blogspot.com/
>
> He also designed the Wikimania logo with the two "w"s; originally
> designed for Wikimania 2006, we use it to this day:
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikimania_%28spacing%29.png
>
> Ben was a skilled artist and designer and was responsible for all of
> the figures in "How Wikipedia Works." He also designed posters and
> graphic materials for Wikimania and proposed many other merchandise
> designs to promote Wikipedia.
>
> He was funny, smart, and shy; I never had a bad interaction with him.
> I worked with him intensively for many months but never got a chance
> to meet him in person, but I counted him as a friend long after we
> finished the book. He will be missed.
>
> If you have any comments that you would like to be given to his family
> or read at the service, please post them on Ben's talk page or send to
> me directly. Wikimedia was meaningful to Ben, and it would mean a lot
> to let his mom that people cared about her son as a colleague and
> friend.
>
> thanks,
> -- Phoebe

Re: sad news

phoebe ayers-3
I realize in my first note that I forgot to link Ben's meta page...
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Tlogmer

a quick look at his contributions will remind some of us about the old
fundcom, Wikimania 2006 designs, Associations of Wikipedians and the
old store... Ben was one of the strongest advocates of producing good
Wikimedia merchandise!

cheers,
phoebe

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 7:42 PM, phoebe ayers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Those of you who have been around for a few years may remember
> user:Tlogmer, aka Ben Yates -- co-author with Charles Matthews and I
> on "How Wikipedia Works."
>
> I got an email from his mother this morning with the very sad news
> that Ben passed away yesterday. I do not know the details. He was in
> his 20s and lived in Michigan, USA.
>
> There will be a memorial service in Michigan on Friday; contact me if
> you want that information. His userpages are
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Tlogmer
> and http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Tlogmer
>
> For several years Ben wrote a blog about Wikipedia that was incisive
> and widely read. Older posts can be found here:
> http://wikip.blogspot.com/
>
> He also designed the Wikimania logo with the two "w"s; originally
> designed for Wikimania 2006, we use it to this day:
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikimania_%28spacing%29.png
>
> Ben was a skilled artist and designer and was responsible for all of
> the figures in "How Wikipedia Works." He also designed posters and
> graphic materials for Wikimania and proposed many other merchandise
> designs to promote Wikipedia.
>
> He was funny, smart, and shy; I never had a bad interaction with him.
> I worked with him intensively for many months but never got a chance
> to meet him in person, but I counted him as a friend long after we
> finished the book. He will be missed.
>
> If you have any comments that you would like to be given to his family
> or read at the service, please post them on Ben's talk page or send to
> me directly. Wikimedia was meaningful to Ben, and it would mean a lot
> to let his mom that people cared about her son as a colleague and
> friend.
>
> thanks,
> -- Phoebe

<at> gmail.com *

Re: [Foundation-l] sad news

Shlomi Fish

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 19:42:05 -0700
phoebe ayers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Those of you who have been around for a few years may remember
> user:Tlogmer, aka Ben Yates -- co-author with Charles Matthews and I
> on "How Wikipedia Works."
>
> I got an email from his mother this morning with the very sad news
> that Ben passed away yesterday. I do not know the details. He was in
> his 20s and lived in Michigan, USA.

I have not known Mr. Yates (though the name rings a bell) but I am saddened to
hear that. My condolences go to everyone who knew him.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

Re: [Foundation-l] sad news

metasj
On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 12:12 PM, phoebe ayers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I realize in my first note that I forgot to link Ben's meta page...
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Tlogmer
>
> a quick look at his contributions will remind some of us about the old
> fundcom, Wikimania 2006 designs, Associations of Wikipedians and the
> old store... Ben was one of the strongest advocates of producing good
> Wikimedia merchandise!

And he was very good at it.  I am glad to have known him, and will
dearly miss his thoughtful views.

Sam.

Re: sad news

Carcharoth
On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 3:27 AM, Bob the Wikipedian
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Deceased_Wikipedians

Oh dear. I see from reading that page that not only have we lost Ben
Yates, but also Slrubenstein.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Rubenstein

The death of both these Wikipedians was mentioned briefly in the Signpost:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2012-03-12/News_and_notes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2012-03-19/News_and_notes

Very sad news in both cases. My condolences to those that knew them.

Carcharoth

Re: sad news

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen
On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 8:52 PM, Carcharoth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 3:27 AM, Bob the Wikipedian
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Deceased_Wikipedians
>
> Oh dear. I see from reading that page that not only have we lost Ben
> Yates, but also Slrubenstein.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Rubenstein
>
> The death of both these Wikipedians was mentioned briefly in the Signpost:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2012-03-12/News_and_notes
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2012-03-19/News_and_notes
>
> Very sad news in both cases. My condolences to those that knew them.

Slrubenstein was a rock. Never could be trolled or drawn into a hostile
exchange. He did have very strong disagreements with people. The one
I remember him best by was over the proper expression of dates, and
over whether or not Wikipedia should show religious preference between
the the various candidates (my memory is hazy on what the various
alternatives were, but that might be because it wasn't one of my battles,
though I did read the arguments with interest and occasional amusement
and may just have made very minor comments on issues of fact). He had
a particular dry wit about him. Not of the emblematically British sort, but
more of the "What are you going to do to me? I am not going to fall into
the trap of hating you!" variety.

Re: sad news

Sarah-128
On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 8:44 AM, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Slrubenstein was a rock. Never could be trolled or drawn into a hostile
> exchange. He did have very strong disagreements with people. The one
> I remember him best by was over the proper expression of dates, and
> over whether or not Wikipedia should show religious preference between
> the the various candidates (my memory is hazy on what the various
> alternatives were, but that might be because it wasn't one of my battles,
> though I did read the arguments with interest and occasional amusement
> and may just have made very minor comments on issues of fact). He had
> a particular dry wit about him. Not of the emblematically British sort, but
> more of the "What are you going to do to me? I am not going to fall into
> the trap of hating you!" variety.

One of Steve's academic colleagues wrote of him:

"The depth of his thinking and feeling made his comments, even on the
vital yet bureaucratic matters of university life, not only profound
but also profoundly political. Thinking about him now, I think it was
his capacity to interweave these two elements – thought and emotion –
which was for me the hallmark of his unique intellectual style."
http://www.slas.org.uk/SteveRubenstein_Obituary.html

That perfectly describes the way he approached things on Wikipedia,
whether articles or policy discussions, or relatively minor
bureaucratic issues. He always tried to highlight the principles
behind the arguments, and how ignoring those principles would change
Wikipedia in ways we might not notice until it was too late to
backtrack.

Sarah