salt list

NavouWiki

I've started a discussion at
[[Wikipedia_talk:Protection_policy#Private_Salt_pages]].

NAvou

Re: salt list

brock.weller@gmail.com
i'm on my phone at the moment, and since wiki's wap options suck i'll
ask this here. Please please PLEASE tell me this isn't more dumb
'fallout' from ryulongs lists is it? And if it is, don't we all have
better things to do then moan about someone making their otrs work
easier?

On 9/30/07, NavouWiki <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've started a discussion at
> [[Wikipedia_talk:Protection_policy#Private_Salt_pages]].
>

> NAvou

-Brock

Re: salt list

vee-3
On 30/09/2007, Brock Weller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> i'm on my phone at the moment, and since wiki's wap options suck i'll
> ask this here. Please please PLEASE tell me this isn't more dumb
> 'fallout' from ryulongs lists is it? And if it is, don't we all have
> better things to do then moan about someone making their otrs work
> easier?
>
> On 9/30/07, NavouWiki <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > I've started a discussion at
> > [[Wikipedia_talk:Protection_policy#Private_Salt_pages]].
> >

> > NAvou

> -Brock

I checked it out for you and as far as I can see there's been no mention of
Ryulong or that incident. Nobody seems to be complaining at all in fact.

Re: salt list

brock.weller@gmail.com
Quite nice then :) i saw the bruhaha over his personal salt list on
ANI earlier, assumed any discussion on that topic would be focused on
that. Thanks much :)

On 9/30/07, Vee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 30/09/2007, Brock Weller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > i'm on my phone at the moment, and since wiki's wap options suck i'll
> > ask this here. Please please PLEASE tell me this isn't more dumb
> > 'fallout' from ryulongs lists is it? And if it is, don't we all have
> > better things to do then moan about someone making their otrs work
> > easier?
> >
> > On 9/30/07, NavouWiki <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >

> > > I've started a discussion at
> > > [[Wikipedia_talk:Protection_policy#Private_Salt_pages]].
> > >

> > > NAvou

> > -Brock

> I checked it out for you and as far as I can see there's been no mention of
> Ryulong or that incident. Nobody seems to be complaining at all in fact.

-Brock

Re: salt list

Casey Brown-3
But this discussion is brought up by a previous discussion that had to do
with Ryulong.

On 9/30/07, Vee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 30/09/2007, Brock Weller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > i'm on my phone at the moment, and since wiki's wap options suck i'll
> > ask this here. Please please PLEASE tell me this isn't more dumb
> > 'fallout' from ryulongs lists is it? And if it is, don't we all have
> > better things to do then moan about someone making their otrs work
> > easier?
> >
> > On 9/30/07, NavouWiki <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >

> > > I've started a discussion at
> > > [[Wikipedia_talk:Protection_policy#Private_Salt_pages]].
> > >

> > > NAvou

> > -Brock

> I checked it out for you and as far as I can see there's been no mention
> of
> Ryulong or that incident. Nobody seems to be complaining at all in fact.

Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: salt list

NavouWiki
The discussion I've started has nothing to do with Ryulong, his involvement
is borderline.  The discussion is related to policy as a whole.

Thanks, Navou

But this discussion is brought up by a previous discussion that had to do
with Ryulong.

On 9/30/07, Vee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 30/09/2007, Brock Weller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > i'm on my phone at the moment, and since wiki's wap options suck i'll
> > ask this here. Please please PLEASE tell me this isn't more dumb
> > 'fallout' from ryulongs lists is it? And if it is, don't we all have
> > better things to do then moan about someone making their otrs work
> > easier?
> >
> > On 9/30/07, NavouWiki <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >

> > > I've started a discussion at
> > > [[Wikipedia_talk:Protection_policy#Private_Salt_pages]].
> > >

> > > NAvou

> > -Brock

> I checked it out for you and as far as I can see there's been no mention
> of
> Ryulong or that incident. Nobody seems to be complaining at all in fact.

Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: salt list

Casey Brown-3
I know, you are not the kind of person who would dwell on Ryulong's actions
like that. ;-)  But aren't you asking for clarification on an issue having
to do with Ryulong that related to the policy?  If there hadn't been this
whole discussion about Ryulong, then we wouldn't care yet about this.

On 9/30/07, NavouWiki <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The discussion I've started has nothing to do with Ryulong, his
> involvement
> is borderline.  The discussion is related to policy as a whole.
>

> Thanks, Navou

Rich Holton
Casey Brown wrote:
> I know, you are not the kind of person who would dwell on Ryulong's actions
> like that. ;-)  But aren't you asking for clarification on an issue having
> to do with Ryulong that related to the policy?  If there hadn't been this
> whole discussion about Ryulong, then we wouldn't care yet about this.

Casey,

I don't know anything about the "Ryulong incident", and I've resisted
the temptation to look into it. Was it so bad that the entire topic
should now be off limits?

-Rich

Re: salt list

NavouWiki
I don't remember the Ryulong discussion, his pages were listed on the MFD,
yes.  So was mine.  I started a policy discussion, a lot of sysops have
userpaged salt lists with cascading protection.  Please do go see the
discussion, I don't think ryulong is the subject at the policy talk page.
Regards, ~~~~

On 30/09/2007, Rich Holton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Casey,
>
> I don't know anything about the "Ryulong incident", and I've resisted
> the temptation to look into it. Was it so bad that the entire topic
> should now be off limits?
>
> -Rich

Just the usual accusations of admin abuse, etc. But imo it's not that bad an
idea to clarify whether or not such lists are acceptable, in what
circumstances, etc. Not to the level of instruction creep but enough so that
there's no confusion over it in future.

Re: salt list

Stephen Bain
On 10/1/07, Brock Weller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> i'm on my phone at the moment, and since wiki's wap options suck i'll
> ask this here. Please please PLEASE tell me this isn't more dumb
> 'fallout' from ryulongs lists is it? And if it is, don't we all have
> better things to do then moan about someone making their otrs work
> easier?

I haven't been around the wiki for the last few days, so I can assure
you that when I say that I would like to see a good discussion on this
practice of admins maintaining their own salt lists, I say that
entirely in the abstract. I have noticed such lists appearing every
now and then ever since cascading protection was first introduced and
I think it would be a good idea to work out some guidelines for the
practice.

I for one don't see any advantages in maintaining personal lists
outside of the main protected titles lists, and can see several
disadvantages, including increased difficulty of maintenance and the
increased risk (not saying that it's been realised, but it's still a
risk) of titles being salted inappropriately.

--
Stephen Bain