Quantcast

semantic mediawiki terminology - queries

semantic mediawiki terminology - queries

Yury Katkov
Hi everyone! I'm working on Wikipedia article on SMW and I have a
question about terminology.
Is there a name for the language of the Inline queries? I haven't
found a specific name for it in Krötzsch et al articles but the
authors of the paper Knowledge Representation and Query in Semantic
MediaWiki: A Formal Study call it SMW-QL which look pretty nice.
Is it correct to use words "semantic queries", "SMW-QL queries" as a
synonims for inline queries?
Sincerely yours,
-----
Yury Katkov

Re: semantic mediawiki terminology - queries

Yaron Koren-2
Hi Yury,

I'm pretty sure that there's no official name for the query language that
SMW uses - though "SMW-QL", or some variation on it, sounds reasonable,
since it is in fact the Semantic MediaWiki query language.

As for a name for the queries, how about "SMW queries"?

-Yaron

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 9:28 AM, Yury Katkov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone! I'm working on Wikipedia article on SMW and I have a
> question about terminology.
> Is there a name for the language of the Inline queries? I haven't
> found a specific name for it in Krötzsch et al articles but the
> authors of the paper Knowledge Representation and Query in Semantic
> MediaWiki: A Formal Study call it SMW-QL which look pretty nice.
> Is it correct to use words "semantic queries", "SMW-QL queries" as a
> synonims for inline queries?
> Sincerely yours,
> -----
> Yury Katkov

Re: semantic mediawiki terminology - queries

badon
Where is your article going to be? I would love to read it when it is ready.

Re: semantic mediawiki terminology - queries

Yury Katkov
It's will be in Russian first, I'm sorry :) here is a draft [1]  and
here is the wikipedia article [2]. If there is a need in brief
introduction to SMW in English (for beginners with pictures) - just
let me know what it should be look like. Writing such thing is fun and
probably I can try to do it.
Personally for me the official documentation and the papers work well.
Do you have ideas on how to improve it?

[1] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Y25KKiwtrQhXrL8iSUJ2hA1SFaSbVhqVGt2IJDLBpkk/edit?hl=en_US
[2] http://ru.wikipedia.org/Semantic_MediaWiki
-----