semantic watch list = doesn't seem to be working

semantic watch list = doesn't seem to be working

Peter Brooks
I've set up a semantic watch list. I've set it to watch a property in
a namespace. I can see the group enabled in the preferences section.

If I create a new page in that namespace, with the property, then I
get an e-mail as WikiSysop telling me that the page has been created.

However, I get nothing from the semantic watch list. No e-mail and,
when I check on the wiki, it doesn't see that the condition has
changed.

If I go to the newly created page and change the property to something
else (that is not being watched for) and then change it back. There is
still nothing in the semantic watch list.

Because I'm tracking minor incidents, I see all the e-mails coming
through saying that the page has changed.

How can I find out why the watch list isn't working?

Re: semantic watch list = doesn't seem to be working

planetenxin
Peter,

please let us know your versions of MW, SMW and SWL.

/Alexander

Am 16.07.2014 11:17, schrieb Peter Brooks:

> I've set up a semantic watch list. I've set it to watch a property in
> a namespace. I can see the group enabled in the preferences section.
>
> If I create a new page in that namespace, with the property, then I
> get an e-mail as WikiSysop telling me that the page has been created.
>
> However, I get nothing from the semantic watch list. No e-mail and,
> when I check on the wiki, it doesn't see that the condition has
> changed.
>
> If I go to the newly created page and change the property to something
> else (that is not being watched for) and then change it back. There is
> still nothing in the semantic watch list.
>
> Because I'm tracking minor incidents, I see all the e-mails coming
> through saying that the page has changed.
>
> How can I find out why the watch list isn't working?

semantic::apps by gesinn.it
Business Applications with Semantic Mediawiki.
http://semantic-apps.com

Re: semantic watch list = doesn't seem to be working

Peter Brooks
This is what my versions are:

Installed software

ProductVersion
MediaWiki1.22.6
PHP5.3.28 (cgi-fcgi)
MySQL5.5.34-cll-lve

Installed extensions

Semantic extensions
Semantic Bundle (Version 1.9.2)A pre-packaged bundle of Semantic
MediaWiki related extensionsYaron Koren, Jeroen De Dauw and others
Semantic Compound Queries(Version 0.3.4)A parser function that
displays multiple semantic queries at the same timeYaron Koren
Semantic Drilldown (Version 1.4)A drilldown interface for navigating
through semantic dataYaron Koren and others
Semantic Forms (Version 2.7)Forms for adding and editing semantic
dataYaron Koren, Stephan Gambke and others
Semantic Forms Inputs(Version 0.7)Additional input types for Semantic
FormsStephan Gambke and others
Semantic Image Input (Version 0.3.0 alpha)Adds an image input that
pulls images from Wikipedia to Semantic FormsJeroen De Dauw
Semantic Internal Objects(Version 0.7.6)Setting of internal objects in
Semantic MediaWikiYaron Koren
Semantic MediaWiki (Version 1.9.2)Making your wiki more accessible -
for machines and humans (online documentation)Markus Krötzsch, Jeroen
De Dauw, James Hong Kong and others
Semantic Result Formats(Version 1.9.1)Additional result formats for
Semantic MediaWiki queriesJames Hong Kong, Stephan Gambke, Jeroen De
Dauw, Yaron Koren and others
Semantic Watchlist (Version 1.1.0 alpha)Lets users be notified of
specific changes to Semantic MediaWiki dataJeroen De Dauw for
WikiWorks
SemanticTasks (Version 1.4.1)

On 16 July 2014 14:17, planetenxin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Peter,
>
> please let us know your versions of MW, SMW and SWL.
>
> /Alexander
>
> Am 16.07.2014 11:17, schrieb Peter Brooks:
>> I've set up a semantic watch list. I've set it to watch a property in
>> a namespace. I can see the group enabled in the preferences section.
>>
>> If I create a new page in that namespace, with the property, then I
>> get an e-mail as WikiSysop telling me that the page has been created.
>>
>> However, I get nothing from the semantic watch list. No e-mail and,
>> when I check on the wiki, it doesn't see that the condition has
>> changed.
>>
>> If I go to the newly created page and change the property to something
>> else (that is not being watched for) and then change it back. There is
>> still nothing in the semantic watch list.
>>
>> Because I'm tracking minor incidents, I see all the e-mails coming
>> through saying that the page has changed.
>>
>> How can I find out why the watch list isn't working?

> semantic::apps by gesinn.it
> Business Applications with Semantic Mediawiki.
> http://semantic-apps.com

Re: semantic watch list = doesn't seem to be working

Peter Brooks
These are my localsettings:

require_once "$IP/extensions/SemanticWatchlist/SemanticWatchlist.php";

# Users that can use the semantic watchlist.
$wgGroupPermissions['*'            ]['semanticwatch'] = true;
$wgGroupPermissions['staff'         ]['semanticwatch'] = true;
$wgGroupPermissions['autoconfirmed']['semanticwatch'] = true;
$wgGroupPermissions['bot'          ]['semanticwatch'] = true;
$wgGroupPermissions['sysop'        ]['semanticwatch'] = true;

# Users that can modify the watchlist groups via Special:WatchlistConditions
$wgGroupPermissions['*'            ]['semanticwatchgroups'] = true;
$wgGroupPermissions['staff'         ]['semanticwatchgroups'] = true;
$wgGroupPermissions['autoconfirmed']['semanticwatchgroups'] = true;
$wgGroupPermissions['bot'          ]['semanticwatchgroups'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['sysop'        ]['semanticwatchgroups'] = true;

# Other semantic Watchlist options
$egSWLEnableEmailNotify = true;
$egSWLMailPerChange = true;
$egSWLMaxMails = 50000;
$wgDefaultUserOptions['swl_email'] = true;
$wgEnotifWatchlist = true;

$wgDefaultUserOptions['swl_watchlisttoplink'] = true;
$egSWLEnableTopLink = true;

On 16 July 2014 14:23, Peter Brooks <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> If I create a new page in that namespace, with the property, then I
>>> get an e-mail as WikiSysop telling me that the page has been created.
>>>
>>> However, I get nothing from the semantic watch list. No e-mail and,
>>> when I check on the wiki, it doesn't see that the condition has
>>> changed.
>>>
>>> If I go to the newly created page and change the property to something
>>> else (that is not being watched for) and then change it back. There is
>>> still nothing in the semantic watch list.
>>>
>>> Because I'm tracking minor incidents, I see all the e-mails coming
>>> through saying that the page has changed.
>>>
>>> How can I find out why the watch list isn't working?

>> --
>> semantic::apps by gesinn.it
>> Business Applications with Semantic Mediawiki.
>> http://semantic-apps.com

Re: semantic watch list = doesn't seem to be working

I was just wondering, if the semantic watch list can't be made to work..

Is it possible to call the E-mail page through the API from a form?
That'd do the trick just as well.

The other option is to get all pages forwarded and put together some
logic to filter out those that aren't relevant and re-format and
forward the others - which is doable, but very clumsy.

Re: semantic watch list = doesn't seem to be working

planetenxin
Peter,

as far as I can remember, SWL only notifies about changes made by others.

Additionally, there has been an issue that only modified annotations get
notified, NOT newly added annotations. Not sure if this has been fixed.

/Alexander

Am 16.07.2014 16:56, schrieb Peter Brooks:
> I was just wondering, if the semantic watch list can't be made to work..
>
> Is it possible to call the E-mail page through the API from a form?
> That'd do the trick just as well.
>
> The other option is to get all pages forwarded and put together some
> logic to filter out those that aren't relevant and re-format and
> forward the others - which is doable, but very clumsy.

semantic::apps by gesinn.it
Business Applications with Semantic Mediawiki.
http://semantic-apps.com

Re: semantic watch list = doesn't seem to be working

Peter Brooks
I'm happy about the first bit - the changes are all made by others,
that's part of the design.

The newly added pages are not being recognised.

Actually, now, no changes are being recognised, none at all. I'm not
sure where to look to debug it though. There doesn't seem to be a log
file or log table showing when it does anything.

Either it isn't being activated when there's a page change. Or, when
it is activated, it isn't recognising the changed items as on its
watch list. It'd be useful to know which.

I'll try just re-installing it and see if that changes anything.

On 17 July 2014 08:30, planetenxin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Peter,
>
> as far as I can remember, SWL only notifies about changes made by others.
>
> Additionally, there has been an issue that only modified annotations get
> notified, NOT newly added annotations. Not sure if this has been fixed.
>
> /Alexander
>
> Am 16.07.2014 16:56, schrieb Peter Brooks:
>
>> I was just wondering, if the semantic watch list can't be made to work..
>>
>> Is it possible to call the E-mail page through the API from a form?
>> That'd do the trick just as well.
>>
>> The other option is to get all pages forwarded and put together some
>> logic to filter out those that aren't relevant and re-format and
>> forward the others - which is doable, but very clumsy.

> semantic::apps by gesinn.it
> Business Applications with Semantic Mediawiki.
> http://semantic-apps.com

Re: semantic watch list = doesn't seem to be working

planetenxin
Peter,

your SWL version is really old, try out the latest and greatest (version
0.2.2).

For debugging: SWL adds some tables to the database starting with swl_,
like swl_changes, swl_edits. Take a look there to see what's going on.

/Alexander

Am 16.07.2014 14:23, schrieb Peter Brooks:
> Semantic Watchlist (Version 1.1.0 alpha)Lets users be notified of
> specific changes to Semantic MediaWiki dataJeroen De Dauw for

semantic::apps by gesinn.it
Business Applications with Semantic Mediawiki.
http://semantic-apps.com

Re: semantic watch list = doesn't seem to be working

Peter Brooks
Thank you. I've ripped everything out and reinstalled it. I've now got
SWL at 0.2.2. Unfortunately it still doesn't work.

I'll have a look at the tables you recommend and see if they can shed any light.

On 17 July 2014 14:16, planetenxin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Peter,
>
> your SWL version is really old, try out the latest and greatest (version
> 0.2.2).
>
> For debugging: SWL adds some tables to the database starting with swl_, like
> swl_changes, swl_edits. Take a look there to see what's going on.
>
> /Alexander
>
> Am 16.07.2014 14:23, schrieb Peter Brooks:
>
>> Semantic Watchlist (Version 1.1.0 alpha)Lets users be notified of
>> specific changes to Semantic MediaWiki dataJeroen De Dauw for

> semantic::apps by gesinn.it
> Business Applications with Semantic Mediawiki.
> http://semantic-apps.com

Re: semantic watch list = doesn't seem to be working

Hans Oleander
> Thank you. I've ripped everything out and reinstalled it. I've now got
> SWL at 0.2.2. Unfortunately it still doesn't work.

If I may add this: I fancy the SWL extension very much, too, using it for a
very lightweighted trouble ticket system smoothly integrated in our
Intranet (rather than having a more powerfull external system).

I have not used it using Namespace observation, but I can confirm it failed
to produce a lot of e-mail notifications using concepts as triggers. As a
workaround I have my forms setting various categories depening on field
values, and using these as observation range it so far seems to work ok.

Greetings,
Hans